Electrical Breaksafe Battery

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Charger arrived during the week so will be plugging it in and see if it brings the battery back to life over the weekend!!!!!

Didn't get around to plugging in the charger until earlier this week. Lifted the seat this afternoon and pressed the "Test" button...... All's good :)
The "Test OK" and "Battery Normal" lights lit up :encouragement:

Unplugged the charger and checked the voltage..... 14.6V so happy with that. Left the charger unplugged and will check again to make sure battery doesn't lose charge quickly!

halbster

May 13, 2014
A variation on the above would be to add a blocking diode to the positive line. This will now stop the van system from draining the breakaway battery. A good safeguard to ensure your breakaway battery stays charged even if the van system is flattened.
View attachment 35609

I'm considering this option for charging the break away - is it really just as simple as connecting +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve on the 2 batteries? What size fuses and diode would I need to use? It seems a lot simpler than installing solar regulator and interfering with the solar setup.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Didn't get around to plugging in the charger until earlier this week. Lifted the seat this afternoon and pressed the "Test" button...... All's good :)
The "Test OK" and "Battery Normal" lights lit up :encouragement:

Unplugged the charger and checked the voltage..... 14.6V so happy with that. Left the charger unplugged and will check again to make sure battery doesn't lose charge quickly!
@dagree , do they sell those charges at battery world, or anywhere else? Think I need one.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
I'm considering this option for charging the break away - is it really just as simple as connecting +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve on the 2 batteries? What size fuses and diode would I need to use? It seems a lot simpler than installing solar regulator and interfering with the solar setup.

Pretty much yes that is all you need to do. As you are leaving the breakaway battery in place you will only need to fit small fuses to allow the battery to be kept topped up.

If you use something small say 2 to 3 amp fuses it will be ok. The added advantage of using small fuses is that once the breakaway is triggered it will fairly quickly drain the breakaway battery then the small fuses will be unable to supply the needed current so they will blow and prevent your van battery from being drawn down as well. This would be a good safeguard against an accidental activation.

You will need to make sure the breakaway battery is close to fully charged when you first hook it up or it may keep blowing the fuses.

As for the diode any good sized power diode will work ok. You should get one that is rated at least 3 times the size of the fuse you use. standard silicone power diodes will be ok but they will give you a voltage drop of around .6v if you can you will be better with the same type of diode they use in solar panels. these are called Schottky diodes and will usually only drop the voltage by .2v . If you are handy with a soldering iron something like this will be a good choice. Be aware that on that diode the metal tab with the mounting hole will also be live once you connect the power so you will need to keep it isolated from the chassis etc. perhaps cover it in heatshrink and tape it into your wiring loom.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@dagree , do they sell those charges at battery world, or anywhere else? Think I need one.

Not sure @Smirke ... Was a weekend when I looked around and they were closed so worth a try. I tried Jaycar (Only 15V one they had was 2Amps) and a couple of local caravan parts places up our way with no luck but they could order in. Thought it was just as easy to order online myself and get it delivered to the door ;)

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi,
Here is a photo of the charger supplied with my Breakaway unit

Charger.JPG
Cheers
Nick

Reactions: dagree

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yep, picked one up on the way home. Old mate said it'd be all good. Picked up a 240v charger whilst there... When in the van this arvo, I got the "low" light on the Breaksafe (I thought it'd be stone cold dead) so I threw the charger on the existing battery overnight and I'll see how I go. If no dice, I'll chuck the new battery in.

Well here's a new one (for me at least). So I got around to pulling the battery out and put it on the charger. Charger indicates that it's full??? Was still indicating low in the van. Connections all looked good. Either way, throwing the new battery on the charger overnight and trying that and see what the results are.

Welcome any thoughts and advice if I'm missing something.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Well here's a new one (for me at least). So I got around to pulling the battery out and put it on the charger. Charger indicates that it's full??? Was still indicating low in the van. Connections all looked good. Either way, throwing the new battery on the charger overnight and trying that and see what the results are.

Welcome any thoughts and advice if I'm missing something.

Some battery chargers won't charge once the battery is below a certain voltage, so it may seem to be charged depending on how smart the charger is.

Lead acid gel cells like the ones used in the tow safe units are pretty intolerant to being run flat.

You might be up for a new battery.

My original one only lasted 12 months. It was replaced at the service just before warranty expired.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Some battery chargers won't charge once the battery is below a certain voltage, so it may seem to be charged depending on how smart the charger is.

Lead acid gel cells like the ones used in the tow safe units are pretty intolerant to being run flat.

You might be up for a new battery.

My original one only lasted 12 months. It was replaced at the service just before warranty expired.

Thanks mate. I had already picked a spare one up which I'll throw in the van tomorrow to check. Fingers crossed it was just the original battery that has given up the ghost.