Electrical Breaksafe Battery

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Thanks Boots. I had no idea I had to charge this battery separately if not using the van.
All lead acid type batteries will self discharge over time so it is important that they receive at least top up charging now and then. I think this is an area that jayco needs to take more time with when they handover the new van. It would appear they are not providing clear instructions on how to look after the breakaway unit

Reactions: skippy and dagree

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
All lead acid type batteries will self discharge over time so it is important that they receive at least top up charging now and then. I think this is an area that jayco needs to take more time with when they handover the new van. It would appear they are not providing clear instructions on how to look after the breakaway unit
You are dead right there @boots33. It did not even get a mention with my handover.

Reactions: Billrw136

halbster

May 13, 2014
OK, got a replacement battery from Battery world for $35. Spoke to the guy there about charging and an option to consider is a small solar panel to trickle charge the battery when the van is not being used. Our van is stored out the front of the house, not near a power supply, so to for me to keep this battery charged off 240v would need to run a lead every couple of weeks. If I were to do it this way I don't need to interfere with the solar system on the van. Is this a valid option? Interested now to hear how other people overcome this issue.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
So glad I brought this problem up - as mentioned above by @boots33 Jayco really need to educate us more - I also was told nothing about the breaksafe battery at handover and I was not supplied with a charger. I have fitted a new battery, so alright in the short term. Van will be going to Forster soon for son to live in temporarily till he and his family get a house there.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
P9130174.JPG HI all, is is the unit i have with one small wire coming off it, wheres the battery you speak of ? , is it inside the unit ?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA

Nor do they supply the charger!!!!!

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Our Jayco came with a Tow Secure unit, which has a small DC connector for plugging in the supplied charger to charge the battery. There was no mention of charging the tow secure battery at handover, in fact they only showed how to connect the breakaway cable and that's it. I did made a temporary connection to the Setec to see if it would charge and it did. I will however be using the supplied charger and make an extension lead and leave it plugged into the Power point under the seat that the Setec is plugged into. I have decide to do this as I don't want to discharge the main battery if power to the caravan is not connected. It also isolates both batteries should an electrical fault develops. I did look at solar for charging, but need a separate solar system to change the battery and didn't see the expense worth it.
Cheers
Nick

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
OK, got a replacement battery from Battery world for $35. Spoke to the guy there about charging and an option to consider is a small solar panel to trickle charge the battery when the van is not being used. Our van is stored out the front of the house, not near a power supply, so to for me to keep this battery charged off 240v would need to run a lead every couple of weeks. If I were to do it this way I don't need to interfere with the solar system on the van. Is this a valid option? Interested now to hear how other people overcome this issue.

It would be one of the ways to overcome this problem. There are a few other viable options that would work ok as well. There is no one size fits all solution each way will have its good and bad points to it so you would need to choose the solution that best suits your needs.

There seems to be some interest in this topic so if you like i can put together some diagrams of the options available and the pros and cons to each. At work at the moment so will try and get it done over the weekend some time.

halbster

May 13, 2014
That would be great Boots because this one just caught me out for sure, about to tow around 2000ks.

For those others who are not aware of the Breakaway battery, here's a pic of mine when I just fitted the new one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 258
Reactions: Smirke

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
It would be one of the ways to overcome this problem. There are a few other viable options that would work ok as well. There is no one size fits all solution each way will have its good and bad points to it so you would need to choose the solution that best suits your needs.

There seems to be some interest in this topic so if you like i can put together some diagrams of the options available and the pros and cons to each. At work at the moment so will try and get it done over the weekend some time.
That would be much appreciated @boots33 !
Thanks
Bill

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Yes Paul it would seem to be an area that needs improving. On another subject picked up the new tug last week, ended up getting a Colorado..

B.T.W Kym likes your tag line :)

Shane
I did see a post last week (I think you spoke to @Drover about breathers) where you mentioned your Colorado. I have been hoping to get a viewing but time is not on my side at the moment as we are going away next week.

Mrs CR was not impressed with my tag line. :love:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@halbster while I don't have a breakaway I have 2 x 2.5 wat solar charger panels that I fitted to my shed roof and they keep my mower and ute batteries charged up when not being used, they have done a great job and have even brought them back up to charge when run down, bought on special from supercheap a few years back, be an inexpensive option to keep your battery topped up, better than putting it on charge every few weeks.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
The minimum requirements for breakaway devices is set down in the Vehicle Standards Bulletin VSB1 you can read a copy here. . On top of these minimum federal requirements each state has the power to impose additional requirements as well so it is important to check with your relevant state department.

A good guide is also available on Alko's site here

So in short we need

A self contained power source capable of powering the brakes for at least 15min.

A means to keep that power source charged

Which one of the following methods you employ may vary with the type of controller in use. you will need to have a look at the install documents to make sure.
All of the units will have a provision to charge the battery from some sort of external source and that is where you will likely need to connect your charge wire to. In most cases this will be directly to the battery but may vary for units with some form of battery monitoring. In my diagrams I will just show the connection directly to the battery for simplicity.

*************************************************************************************************************

Use a 240v charger to keep the battery topped up. Yes a bit obvious but for those that have access to 240v this will be the quickest way to go. You will need to get a charger that is made to be connected to the battery for long periods of time without overcharging the battery. You can get dedicated breakaway chargers from specialty caravan shops and also most of the chargers meant to keep 12v alarm batteries topped up will work as well.
No drawing needed really just plug it into a power point and connect it to your breakaway battery.

The advantage to this method is with use of the correct charger your breakaway battery will be maintained at a high state of charge. It will be kept separate from your van battery so any faults in that setup will have no effect on your breakaway battery.

On the down side you will need access to 240v and if you choose not to hard wire it in place you will have to remember to plug it in when needed. Also your breakaway will receive no charge when you are disconnected from your tug and camping off grid. I don't see that as a major problem though.... unless you are camped out for a few months trying to avoid an alien invasion or the tax man etc.

**************************************************************************************************************

Use a small portable solar panel to keep the breakaway battery topped up.

Again this method will keep the breakaway well charged and separate from the van system. if you fit a lead with a plug to your breakaway battery it will be a simple operation to connect up when needed.

no real downsides to this method that i can see, other than the initial cost to setup. That shouldn't be very much.
solara.png

***************************************************************************************************************************

Connect your breakaway battery to your vans battery system and use the charging output from the setec and or van solar to keep the breakaway topped up.

Advantages:

The setec is well suited to providing a long term charging solution. Your breakaway battery will be receiving a charge any time the van is hooked to 240v and if you have solar on the roof any time they are in the sun.

disadvantages:
240v required if no solar installed
Your breakaway battery will be directly affected by your van batteries state of charge. so if you are camping off grid and managed to flatten your van battery you will take your breakaway battery down as well.
Your van battery will be directly affected by your breakaway system any problems there may also cause problems for the van.

If your breakaway switch is activated the van brakes will draw power from both batteries. While this will certainly mean the brakes will stay on for the required 15min it could also cause possible damage to the brake activators if they are not rated to be held on for very long periods of time. Depending on your van battery size this could be many hours.

no2.png

A variation on the above would be to add a blocking diode to the positive line. This will now stop the van system from draining the breakaway battery. A good safeguard to ensure your breakaway battery stays charged even if the van system is flattened.
no2a.png

Remove the breakaway battery all together and just hook up to the van battery. The major advantage here (getting rid of the annoying breakaway battery) is also the major disadvantage as your breakaway now will rely totally on the van battery. Any problems there and your breakaway will be out of action. If you do a lot of off grid camping you would need to have some means of keeping the battery charged up. Not sure how this would go with the in car battery monitor required in NSW.
no2b.png

With all of these methods you will need to be sure the breakaway does not get activated by accident while the van is sitting. That will be the biggest down side to hooking up to your van battery system.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

If you have Solar installed in your van you could also fit a second small regulator and use it as a dedicated breakaway charger. Of course this will be of no use if the van is stored under a cover or in a shed.
solar.png

So there you have it , a few ideas to think about. Sorry it is all a bit rough but am busy this weekend installing all the bits into my new tug.
Comments, suggestions and constructive criticism always welcome :)

shane

Last edited:

halbster

May 13, 2014
Thanks a lot Boots, whats the purpose of the solar regulator? If using the existing solar panels (the last option there) will they be putting too much power into the breakaway battery, mines got 2x120W, so a fair bit more than the 5-10W dedicated panel in the 2nd option.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Thanks a lot Boots, whats the purpose of the solar regulator? If using the existing solar panels (the last option there) will they be putting too much power into the breakaway battery, mines got 2x120W, so a fair bit more than the 5-10W dedicated panel in the 2nd option.

Hi @halbster

The last option is a good one if your van is stored in the open and your panels have access to some sun.
By adding an additional small solar regulator around the 5amp range this will easily keep the breakaway fully charged.

As you can see in the diagram both regulators are connected directly to the output from the solar panels, they will simply share the output between them.
It does not matter how big your panels are as the regulator will only allow the batteries to receive the power that they require. That's what the regulator is there for. This setup will also keep the two systems separate from each other which (to my mind ) is not such a bad thing.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Good write up @boots33 , I think the breakaways are supposed to be independent on power source. Be just as easy and cheaper to sikaflex a $45 5 watt panel onto the roof and plug in to the breakaway battery...

340106.jpg

Reactions: dagree