Electrical Breaksafe Battery

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Unfortunately we have not used the van for 6 months - moved it next door the other week for small welding job to be done by son-in-law's brother. Break safe battery(Tow secure) flat/stuffed. Naively I thought it would receive a charge from the solar panel and/or the Setec. Not so - charged from vehicle when towing. Can anyone guide/instruct me as to how to go about wiring it to the Setec?
Thanks
Bill

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Of no help to you, but mine is Camec branded system, has a switch on it, battery charger/alternator, they told me to leave it on charger, not much good if it is plugged to anything sitting at home. a mate who does van wiring etc. said I should have it plugged in 24/7 to keep both batteries sorted...

Reactions: Billrw136

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Unfortunately we have not used the van for 6 months - moved it next door the other week for small welding job to be done by son-in-law's brother. Break safe battery(Tow secure) flat/stuffed. Naively I thought it would receive a charge from the solar panel and/or the Setec. Not so - charged from vehicle when towing. Can anyone guide/instruct me as to how to go about wiring it to the Setec?
Thanks
Bill

Gidday bill hope your well other than a flat battery? The charger needed is a pos (piece of $&@-) plug pack unit you can get from CaravansPlus can't recall or find the link. These guys have something else which sounds like it'll work.

http://shamrockcaravanworkshop.com.au/shop-page/4580191208/breaksafe-battery-charger/8844755

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Gidday bill hope your well other than a flat battery? The charger needed is a pos (piece of $&@-) plug pack unit you can get from CaravansPlus can't recall or find the link. These guys have something else which sounds like it'll work.

http://shamrockcaravanworkshop.com.au/shop-page/4580191208/breaksafe-battery-charger/8844755
Thanks for that Jim - yes I have seen the one on Caravansplus website. I can get a new battery from local Battery World place - $40. Will see if they have appropriate charger. I believe I should have been supplied with one with the van - Jayco technical said this to me this week (email). I still believe the Tow secure battery should be linked to the Setec or solar. How is yours set up? If the van is being used frequently - not an issue - as it is being charged every time you tow it. Probably why it was OK up until 6 months ago as we used the van every few weeks or so.
Cheers
Bill

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Thanks for the reminder @Billrw136 ... Last time I plugged our remote sensor in it gave the flat battery warning so looks like ours is only wired to charge from the car battery. Going to have a look and see what's required to swap it over to the vans battery or setec unit when I get a chance

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Yes Jim - Anne and I are well - occupied with family movements and grandchildren! Retirement looming (hopefully) in the new year - then the van will get a caning. Trust you and yours are doing well also.
Bill

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks for that Jim - yes I have seen the one on Caravansplus website. I can get a new battery from local Battery World place - $40. Will see if they have appropriate charger. I believe I should have been supplied with one with the van - Jayco technical said this to me this week (email). I still believe the Tow secure battery should be linked to the Setec or solar. How is yours set up? If the van is being used frequently - not an issue - as it is being charged every time you tow it. Probably why it was OK up until 6 months ago as we used the van every few weeks or so.
Cheers
Bill

Ours is setup same as yours . I need to get a charger too

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yes Jim - Anne and I are well - occupied with family movements and grandchildren! Retirement looming (hopefully) in the new year - then the van will get a caning. Trust you and yours are doing well also.
Bill

Hey mate good to hear your plans are continuing. Look forward to catching up somewhere on the road.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
We received a small charger with the Basestation - plugs into 240v and the lead into a connector next to the battery. Otherwise, it charges via the 12v Hotwire from the car.

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
We received a pug in charger with our 17.55-5sh. I was going to look at making an extension lead for the plug so that I can connect the plug to the Setec to keep the battery charged, or run a cable from the breakaway to under the seat where I can leave it plugged into the power point located there.
Cheers
Nick

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
So, would pluging in a normal car battery charger or the like, be of any harm to the wiring/ Setec system of the van as is connected in situ?
Should the battery be disconnected/ removed from van for charging via remote source?

Pace.

Stevie No Issues

May 29, 2014
Geelong
Because its classed as a safety item I wouldn't take the power from the setec unit I'd run a fused feed straight from your main battery to the Tow Secure unit in suitably sized cable and as##ole the internal one.. That way you know its always charged via the solar/setec etc. Saves changing the small battery every 3 years or so. This is how I set mine up and haven't had any problems.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
So, would pluging in a normal car battery charger or the like, be of any harm to the wiring/ Setec system of the van as is connected in situ?
Should the battery be disconnected/ removed from van for charging via remote source?

Pace.

As long as the charger does not exceed the setec max voltage (14.8v) there will be no need to disconnect the battery

halbster

May 13, 2014
I have the same issue. My van is 12 months old and I've not towed it for 3 months. Got the warning on the remote head unit when I plugged it in. Pressed the Test Button on the main unit, and nothing, so must be completely flat. Am I best to just replace it from Battery World? or try to charge it? Then what do I need to do to keep it charged up when not using the van.

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Because its classed as a safety item I wouldn't take the power from the setec unit I'd run a fused feed straight from your main battery to the Tow Secure unit in suitably sized cable and as##ole the internal one.. That way you know its always charged via the solar/setec etc. Saves changing the small battery every 3 years or so. This is how I set mine up and haven't had any problems.

Hi Stevie would you mind posting a diagram of how you wired up to the main battery please.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Will it charge from completely flat?

If you have a charger it will certainly be worth a try.

There is a good chance the battery will no longer be any good though and at best it will have a reduced capacity. This may make it no longer suitable for use in the breakaway device. Remember the act requires the battery to be able to hold the brakes on for a minimum of 15 min.

For peace of mind you may be better off to get a new one and look at some of the options being discussed in this thread to keep it charged.

Reactions: dagree

halbster

May 13, 2014
Thanks Boots. I had no idea I had to charge this battery separately if not using the van.