Electrical Breaksafe Battery

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Spoke to the service guys today and was told the unit can be left permanently plugged in. The adaptor will step down to 12v and the unit itself has a regulator.
I tried to charge mine using the short lead on the unit with several 12v units I have but it didn't work which made me remove the battery and charge it with the motorcycle trickle charger . I think using the 12v units didn't work because they are only 12v max and the one that should have come with the brake away is 15v ?

Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I think using the 12v units didn't work because they are only 12v max and the one that should have come with the brake away is 15v ?

I looked around locally and could only find 15V ones that were over 1Amp..... Towsecure site said that they should be 15V 1Amp maximum so that's why I ended up ordering the original online.

Reactions: mfexpanda

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I looked around locally and could only find 15V ones that were over 1Amp..... Towsecure site said that they should be 15V 1Amp maximum so that's why I ended up ordering the original online.
Thanks @dagreeI'll most likely do the same removing the battery is a pain . I might see about fitting a 240v PowerPoint in the front boot near the brake away unit

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Thanks @dagreeI'll most likely do the same removing the battery is a pain . I might see about fitting a 240v PowerPoint in the front boot near the brake away unit

The only positive of having the hotwater unit take up one side of the front boot on our 20.64 is the power point is next to the tow secure battery. Double adaptor makes for an easy mod , meaning I can leave the battery permanently connected to 240v.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
My battery reported low voltage the day before I left. On the day of leaving it was dead motherless flat! Same as @mfexpanda I couldn't get the short tail to work with a 12v lead so removed it and hooked up the multi stage Projecta. It switched on and off for about 30mins then started taking a decent charge. All good after couple of hours.

JaycoQ

Jan 7, 2013
Highton, Geelong, Vic
Would this battery be a suitable replacement for the Breaksafe?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/p/SB2486

Yes that looks like the one and the instructions refer to a 12V/7A rating. I guess you'll always be restricted with what will fit in to box. I've attached the doc I pulled off the Internet.

Attachments

• Towsafe_Operating Instructions.pdf
    631.3 KB · Views: 3,602
Reactions: Smergen

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Yep, picked one up on the way home. Old mate said it'd be all good. Picked up a 240v charger whilst there... When in the van this arvo, I got the "low" light on the Breaksafe (I thought it'd be stone cold dead) so I threw the charger on the existing battery overnight and I'll see how I go. If no dice, I'll chuck the new battery in.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Mine didn't hold a charge for 3 days so I guess it's $&@(Ed? I am going to ask Jayco to explain it when it goes in for warranty in a weeks time :D

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Mine didn't hold a charge for 3 days so I guess it's $&@(Ed? I am going to ask Jayco to explain it when it goes in for warranty in a weeks time :D
@achjimmy ours failed after the first trip and I couldn't charge it so ,mrsmfexpanda bless her , rang the dealer we bought our van from and long story short we bought a new battery and they reimbursed us

Reactions: Drover

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Charger arrived during the week so will be plugging it in and see if it brings the battery back to life over the weekend!!!!!

Reactions: Billrw136

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
A couple of weeks ago I discovered that my breakaway battery was flat, which is less than 12 months old, and that was while I was on a driving holiday with the caravan, it was not as if it was sitting in the shed and not getting charged. I decided to remove the breakaway battery and connect it to the house battery. All works well. Saves me stuffing around and having to check if teh battery is charged as my caravan battery remains on charge while in storage and I have a solar panel when free camping. No need to buy a new breakaway battery every 1-2 years.

Thinking I may have jumped the gun I thought I better do a search on the Internet to clarify if the battery in the breakaway unit can removed and then connect the break away unit to the caravans house battery. From the information that I find it only refers to requiring a power source that gets charged while connected to the vehicle. When I was at the caravan show at Sandown last weekend I overheard a salesman from a caravan manufacturer (can't remember which manufacturer) explain to someone that they connect their breakaway system to the house battery.

So from what I can tell connecting your breakaway system to your caravan house battery is ok. Has anybody else looked into it and come to a different conclusion?