2014 Expanda OB 17.56.....

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I'm curious, why didn't you use a WDH with the Jeep? I have QL in mine and also use a WDH, never had trouble with sway or levelling it.
I take it you didn't have quadra-lift in it, just the self-levelling rear shocks, which should have kept it level anyway.

A WDH won't bring it back to level but will help in tying the 2 units together and make it a far more stable tow rig.
The Jeep also has built in Trailer Sway Control.
I would always recommend a WDH, just to help tie it all together.

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
I'm curious, why didn't you use a WDH with the Jeep? I have QL in mine and also use a WDH, never had trouble with sway or levelling it.
I take it you didn't have quadra-lift in it, just the self-levelling rear shocks, which should have kept it level anyway.

A WDH won't bring it back to level but will help in tying the 2 units together and make it a far more stable tow rig.
The Jeep also has built in Trailer Sway Control.
I would always recommend a WDH, just to help tie it all together.

I completely agree with you Matty4. WDH is highly recommended however, with my expanda setup I don't have the room on the draw bar to fit one. (It is not the extended draw bar). I have a toolbox which takes up fair bit of space.

I should rephrase what I said earlier as the sway I experienced with the Jeep was no where near at dangerous levels except it was a minor yawing. So it wasn't too bad. The Jeep is definitely a very capable rig when properly setup. cheers TRAKADU

Last edited:

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hi Dajotrad, Sorry I only saw this email now. I was camping in Walhalla (again) on the weekend :). I will get the measurements for you tonight when go home. (back at work :() Cheers TRAKADU

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Went to Walhalla on the weekend again. This time around we camped at Chinees Garden campground which is an absolute beauty. We weren't alone this time as one of our family friends came along with us which made a great company (lots of yarn around camp fire :blah:)

This Camping spot is located up the road from the free camping area called North Garden. It is $35 per night but it has very clean toilets and hot water showers. We didn't need to use it but it was handy for our friends who were doing tent camping...

For the Expanda buddies who live around Melbourne - Walhalla is definitely a great place to camp which is only 3 hours from Melbourne... give it a go.... some pics now

1.JPG
2.JPG
2a.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hey Trakadu love the toolbox could you send me some dimensions?
prattie

OK. here you go.

H = 500mm
W = 500mm
L = 1,800mm (this includes 200mm on each side for the Jerry can holders)

I got this box made from a mob called Tru Blue Campers in Mordialloc. (247 Boundary Road, Mordialloc, Tel 03 9580 2444). Then got a mate to powder coat it for me to match the expanda colours.

Dajotrad

Aug 3, 2014
OK. here you go.

H = 500mm
W = 500mm
L = 1,800mm (this includes 200mm on each side for the Jerry can holders)

I got this box made from a mob called Tru Blue Campers in Mordialloc. (247 Boundary Road, Mordialloc, Tel 03 9580 2444). Then got a mate to powder coat it for me to match the expanda colours.
Thanks for that - I have checked out my dimensions will be different but will get Tru Blue to quote on what I want - thanks again will let you know how I go. Hooroo

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Finally, connected the inverter to the battery :). Went with a coloured GPO for the inverter power so the Misus and the kids would know which one to use while free camping. Also connected the CO/Gas leak monitor. I installed it facing the Fridge - thought that would be the best place to detect nasties...

Hey @TRAKADU was looking through your write and noticed you have installed a direct 12V connected Gas/CO monitor.

Just wondering how this has gone over the past 6months since you have installed this, any issues or concerns with battery usage, was thinking of getting one of these for my new van which will be here soon. Was it a pretty simple install?

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hi All,
It has been awhile since I have posted something here. Want to share a mod I did on the weekend. Pretty easy one too. A visit to Bunnings and a cost of $20, the following gadget was born. I checked the water pressure once connected and it was pretty good. With the shut off valve, I can shut one tank if it is full and vice versa. Also connected a swivel snap on connector which stops the horse from bending when I run it under the van. Here are some pictures.
1.JPG
2.JPG

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hey @TRAKADU was looking through your write and noticed you have installed a direct 12V connected Gas/CO monitor.

Just wondering how this has gone over the past 6months since you have installed this, any issues or concerns with battery usage, was thinking of getting one of these for my new van which will be here soon. Was it a pretty simple install?

Hey Burnsie,

Sorry mate I overlooked your query :(.. It is a great little gadget to have specially when you are confined to a small enclosed space with all those electrical / gas operated appliances. (better safe than sorry).

Fortunately, It is yet to be tested as no leaks were detected in the van:) but I know it works as it was installed by mate of mine who has tested for me with different types of gases. It is also pretty easy to install. I have it in front of the Fridge and ran the cable through the kitchen cupboards to the battery under the seats. We connected to the battery via a fuse. I believe it uses a very minimal voltage as I hardly noticed anything different as far as the battery usage is concerned. Hope this helps

Cheers TRAKADU

numbez

Oct 29, 2014
Yarra Valley, Victoria
Hi All,
It has been awhile since I have posted something here. Want to share a mod I did on the weekend. Pretty easy one too. A visit to Bunnings and a cost of $20, the following gadget was born. I checked the water pressure once connected and it was pretty good. With the shut off valve, I can shut one tank if it is full and vice versa. Also connected a swivel snap on connector which stops the horse from bending when I run it under the van. Here are some pictures.
View attachment 31629 View attachment 31630
What a fantastic idea @TRAKADU. I got as far as 'cursing at the filling process', but never thought about a way to make it easier.:clap2:

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
We picked up the Panda after its first ever service on the weekend. Apart from couple of little warranty issues there wasn't anything significant for them to do. The service fee + $35 bracket cost me $335 all up. The left side awning bracket (which attaches to the side wall) was bent for some reason while we were camping, though I can't recall how it happened the service guy thinks it was due to the wind. The Service Manager (Rickie) at the Bayswater Jayco was very helpful. The next service is 10,000 km or 12 months whichever comes first. How does everyone keep a tag of the km they do? Is there gadget for that too or simply write the KM on each trip?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have a log book which I record when and what Servicing I do to my vehicle and also trip details which I sometimes correlate at the end of the trip, it is scary though to see how much youvé spent on fuel, anyway the sub total of the distance travelled gives me a rough idea on how far weve dragged the Panda. I find the old pen and paper to be far better than using a computer or laptop, programmes/apps change and you end up loosing the details or change units and it's gone, I still have my log books from back when fuel was 12c/ gallon makes for interesting reading I also have floppy discs with data on them which I can't read now as they are ancient windows.

Reactions: chartrock

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Finally installed the LPG detectors I bought about 2 months ago... :). I decided to install one inside the lower drawer directly under the Gas stove and the other inside the toolbox next to the gas regulator (the most likely places where a leak could start). These units are in addition to the combined Gas and CO monitor I have already installed opposite the Fridge long time ago. Since the CO could be lighter or heavier (depending on the cabin air velocity and temperature, I fixed two CO monitors on the roof as well. Below are couple of pics....
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
I have recently setup an external water filter system for the Panda (something I wanted to do for a long time). It came in handy on our last trip to Corryong (Colac Colac Caravan Park). The park was using bore water and it was kind of murky. The filter did an extremely good job….
WF.JPG

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
I thought I'll post some of the photos of the recent getaways we had. First we did a road trip to Coffs Harbour in September last year. All the way from Melbourne to coffs and back - did around 4,500km all up. The pick of the places were Port Macquarie and Coffs.
1.JPG

some of the locals
2.JPG

Gosford
3.JPG

4.JPG

Mick Tuck Reserve between Gosford and Port
5.JPG

6.JPG

On the way to Ellenborough Falls - The biggest single drop waterfall in Soughtern Hemisphere. Must see on your list...

7.JPG

7a.JPG

and the Coffs

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
The December getaway to Colac Colac Caravan Park which is located on the foothills of the Mount Kosciuszko National Park. A beautiful heaven with plenty of shade and by the Corryong creek. Well worth the 5 and half hour drive. We stayed there for 5 nights and it was very relaxing…
1.JPG

1a.JPG

2.JPG
3.JPG

One minute walk to the Corryong creek which was full due to the rain the week before but was only knee high depth - perfect for a dip...

5.JPG

6.JPG

One the way to Thredbo and the summit of Mount Kosciuszko...

7.JPG

8.JPG

Drove past few of these creeks...

9.JPG

Locals were on high alert and well aware of the tourists....

10.JPG