18' Series 18 footer OB

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi folks,
New members to the forum and doing our bit to get the 18 footer numbers up. Thanks all for a great and informative forum.
Finalised our order for 1857-6 OB last week, delivery mid Oct. Did a heap of reading on this forum and put together the option list.
- extra Annexe light
- External shower
- light over external shower
- 2x gas bayonet front and back
- 100a/hr battery
- 150w solar panel
- tv bracket
- external table ( forgot to get two- doh)
- extra power outlet to bottom bunk ( for boys iPod chargers)
- put control panel above bench level
- external tv outlet
- external power outlet on own circuit 10amp
- bike racks
- wind up antenna
- Ibis air
- cd/ stereo
- extra down light over sink
- Kakadu annexe

The boss and I are excited, just like expecting parents. This is our first Van, tossed up between camper trailers and the Jayco. The boss ruled that her comfort was all important, Camper Trailer 0 - Jayco Expanda 1, Jayco wins.
Most of the mods are thanks to you lot. Can't wait to pick her up, october seems so far away. Have booked into north star CP at Hastings for Xmas. Happy days
Thanks again
Ps go Lowndsy

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome aboard, Holden_man, good to have another Queenslander. Nice lot of extras you have chosen with a little help from the forum members. :heh:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Looks like a great list of options. Will be interesting to see if they give you the 2 external gas bayonets. They only let me have one!
I like the idea of the extra downlight over the sink.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Thanks chartrock,
Yep wouldn't have thought of half of them without the feedback of the members. Terrific tool for soon to be owners. The dealers should mention the forum, nice little marketing tool for them I reckon. What better way for customers to get quality info from real people with the product they want to sell.
Yep It's good being a Qlder, specially around State Of Origin time. :eyebrows:

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Welcome.
Good to see another 18 bringing the numbers up.
Do you know if the external TV outlet is part of what Jayco calls the entertainment pack?
I got this and was really impressed at the whole setup.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Looks like a great list of options. Will be interesting to see if they give you the 2 external gas bayonets. They only let me have one!
I like the idea of the extra downlight over the sink.

Will let you know how I go relgate. I only read the difficulties today from you guys. Dealer didn't wave any red flags so fingers crossed.
I am so excited, that i ordered some LED's off ebay today, went for 1 x 5050 smd 36 panel in cool white and another in Warm white to see which one I like the best.
Haven't told the boss yet I am buying lights 2 months before I even have the thing.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Welcome.
Good to see another 18 bringing the numbers up.
Do you know if the external TV outlet is part of what Jayco calls the entertainment pack?
I got this and was really impressed at the whole setup.

thanks mate,
no don't think its an entertainment pack, just the extra point. There was no mention of a pack. they did tell me to buy the tv elsewhere though, they told me I would save heaps, they were right. bought a Kogan 22inch LED tv/DVD for about $220, might be rubbish, but how bad can it be?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I bet you do get it. I didn't even realize I had ordered it either but wanted the external tv point.
They added a hatch on the side. In the hatch was the tv stand, extra antenna point, 12 volt point, 240 mains point and they ran RCA cable between the internal TV point and external TV point.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
An update on the new arrival, It leaves Jayco on the 9th October. The dealer has given me the brake controller to find a mounting location, and the Auto Elec is booked for the comming week.
Mounted the P3 and so far seems to be a good spot. Very stable. Pic Below. still a couple tidy up mods to the bracket to be done.
Excitement is building. Just booked a beach front site at Kingscliffe for next sept school Hols.
photo3.JPG

Glenn

Sep 6, 2012
Bittern, VIC
G'Day Jas'

Looks like youve overcome the problem and got it sorted, Looks Good Mate !
I ended up keeping the P3 and got it mounted last week down under the dash in the centre of the steering column, seems good there out of way of my feet and can still be read easily through the steering wheel whilst driving.
Got Anderson plug fitted direct as well for the Fridge.
Only a week and a half to go before we get to put it on the back of the Disco and set it all up, "Still Hanging Out Big Time & have Managed to keep the Suprise from the Kids."
I was told they should be off production line on the 5th or 8th, lucky for us the Dealer is only 10 mins from the Jayco Factory.
Our first trip is planned for the Melbourne Cup Weekend in early November down between Geelong & Queenscliffe, only about 2hours from home.

Cheers Glenn

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
G'day glenn,
I think it was a good idea for you to hang onto the P3, from all reports they are superior. I have the Auto Elec wiring the controller and running the Fridge Wire on Tuesday. Question about the anderson plug though, does the van come with the anderson plug as standard for the fridge wire or did you have to ask for it? We didn't, so not sure what to ask the Auto Elec to install. The fridge wire install was part of the purchase price but not sure if we get an anderson or a standard plug? Checking the original quote, we paid $250 for 12 pin plug + fridge wire, so maybe we are getting the Anderson plug. Will have to ring the dealer Tuesday.
The excitement is building for your and our families, we couldn't keep it a surprise from our boys. But a couple thousand k's on the back of a truck before we see ours.
We don't get a long weekend up here for Melbourne Cup, don't know what the go is there :noidea: but we are planning on a weekend at Scarborough which is about just north of brissy. First job though will be to snigg it to the Entertainment Centre's massive carparks to practice backing the thing.
It will be a good feeling just to be in delivery month, it been a long wait!!:whoo:
will be keen to see a few pics of the rig when you get her.

Glenn

Sep 6, 2012
Bittern, VIC
Hi Jas,
At the time of order we had a Colorado as our tow vehicle then desided to upgrade it as well as we needed a 7 seater and Purchased the Disco 4. The Disco has a round 7 pin plug tucked in very neatly behind a cover in the rear bumper & no real conveniant spot to put a flat plug, because the car is all computer controlled i also needed a LED Shunt Module so the car would recognise that the Caravan was attatched, so for this reason as well i kept the car 7 round and have put a flat 7 on the Caravan as i allready have a Boat and Tandem Trailer wired with flat 7's. The Anderson is wired direct to the Battery with a Red arc VRS and 40amp fuses as well as the hotwire to pin No.2 so that when the car is turned off we dont need to disconnect the plugs. Our van was to come with a Flat 12 Pin Plug which had the
Fridge wires at pins 9 (+) & 10 (-), the dealer is going to change it to the 7 and add the Anderson for us at a cost of $150.00, before delivery, a bit steap i thought but they are going to put heavier wiring in to match the Anderson in the Disco, as usual any changes you make after you have signed a contract they just Name the Price.

Everyone has a different opinion on which way they should be wired,"so whats right or wrong ?", im sure the 12pin must work as thats the way they come out of the factory so it just comes down to your own vehicle, The Prado whether or not you have direct power at the back of the car or it needs to be run direct from your battery, some say increase the wire size not to lose voltage drop over the distance, im sure your Auto Elec will guide you and do what is best for you.

Glenn

Glenn

Sep 6, 2012
Bittern, VIC
G'Day Jas'

Any news on your Van ? Has it arrived yet or still in transit ? We are booked in tomorrow at 9am for Hand Over, typical though predicted weather is 18 deg and morning showers, might have to wash it when i get home !

Cheers mate hope your Hand Over day is nearing !

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
G'Day Jas'

Any news on your Van ? Has it arrived yet or still in transit ? We are booked in tomorrow at 9am for Hand Over, typical though predicted weather is 18 deg and morning showers, might have to wash it when i get home !

Cheers mate hope your Hand Over day is nearing !
Sorry mate, been away with work for a few days, no word yet but will be ringing them today to get an update. By now I am guessing you have the new addition home, how was the handover, any tips.

Thx
Jas

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Not long now.........:clap2:
Spoke to the dealer today and the panda has arrived in the sunshine state. Still in the holding yard though. Annex has been measured up this week. Delivery will probably be week after next, due to next week being fully booked with van deliveries. Will be interesting to see if they installed all the options as requested.
Oh well, what's one more week.
Is that light I see, at the end of the tunnel :peace: