Starcraft Starcraft 17:58-3 options & quirks. Post them here.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks @davemc . Have some plans to sign off and will need to quiz the dealer with the 'Jerry Can Holder - No' on the spec sheet. We have the bike rack too so might see if we end up with something like @Spider73's.

I keep meaning to buy a Jerry holder for the rear bar. I think it will sit quite well on top of the bar. I might need to move the spare bracket but have been thinking of a new rear bar anyway.

Reactions: megcam

halbster

May 13, 2014
If I remember correctly the Jerry can holders Jayco install are marked for "Water Containers" only, so also depends what you want it for. For me I didn't push for it as I want to fit a toolbox on the drawbar, so would have had to remove it anyway, and I would want to carry fuel more so than water, so I figured it was pretty much useless and would only end up kicking around in the shed.

Reactions: megcam and achjimmy

megcam

Well the good news is we now have a 17.58-3 spec sheet that includes spare on rear, bike rack on rear and jerry can holder up front. Will be interesting to see what comes out of the factory :D

If I remember correctly the Jerry can holders Jayco install are marked for "Water Containers" only, so also depends what you want it for. For me I didn't push for it as I want to fit a toolbox on the drawbar, so would have had to remove it anyway, and I would want to carry fuel more so than water, so I figured it was pretty much useless and would only end up kicking around in the shed.

Not sure why they'd differentiate as weight and size would be comparable. I'll be putting a yellow jerry in mine and see what happens. After almost running out of fuel on a trip a few years ago I really like the comfort of an extra 20l if I stuff up my fuel calculations (or throw a tanty waiting in line for fuel and drive off thinking I'll make the next stop:baby:)

Reactions: Smirke and achjimmy

Spider73

Oct 30, 2014
Hi guys, sorry for the late reply have been up at Cape Leveque out of service. I just changed the order sheet to yes in the jerry can box. The holder does say water only but I am ring rebellious and carrying a diesel can in mine. Sounds like you have it resolved now but hers a pic of mine. Your 100% right that extra 20l has come in handy on more than one occasion. Cheers
image.jpg
image.jpg

Spider73

Oct 30, 2014
I just bought a roof bike rack and mounted it to the drawbar. I put the middle rail and holder on the fiamma on the back. So three on the back. (They have a 60kg limit) and put the fourth on the front.

The race tape on the window is holding the fibreglass closed as we lost one of the circlips and metal plates that hold it closed on the way up to Cape Leveque.
The road was reasonable and the van handled it well. (Tyres @ 28 PSI) We lost the window clip, the flick mixer was a tad loose (easy fixed) and the 12v to the stove igniter,wine guard, and door handle light was out. Fixed it today after chasing the wiring back to the setec it was a blown fuse. ( incorrectly labelled .,.,..grrrr.) replaced the fuse and all good. Very happy with it. Not too much dust although the roof hatch on the shower did open on the way back so we got more than on the way up. Overall I was impressed with only a couple of minor issues on a road that is considered only for camper trailers and the big buck off road vans. I loved passing all the ultimates, kimberley kampers and conquerors justifying all the money they spent with a near 18ft jayco pop top.....priceless! The new j tech suspension is hard to beat.

Spider73

Oct 30, 2014
Hey guys, sorry I didn't get a chance to say g'day greynt. How good was that only 2 vans at Cygnet Bay and both Jaycos. We got back a bit late the night we were both there, otherwise I would of popped over for a chat. May catch up down the track.
megcam I've got a couple of photos for you aswell. Although not quite as impressive as greynt 4 bike setup. I'll took a couple of how I mounted the front one also incase you were wondering. I bought the extra rail and arm for the fiamma from caravans plus.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 356
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 305
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    784.1 KB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 298
Reactions: megcam

megcam

Awesome. Thanks @Spider73 & @greynt. Look forward to trip reports when you're back in civilisation. I really respect their products but there is a hell of a lot of travelling money in the price difference between a Starcraft & a Bushmaster/Kedron. I too have enjoyed some looks pulling up in places in our then stock Pajero & slipper spring camper tailer :D

Reactions: Spider73

onehdft

Oct 2, 2015
Brisbane
Hi all - Newbie here...:) I'm also considering a 17.58-3 down the track...

It's a rhetorical question but I'm wondering why the kitchen and dining areas are not reversed. It would make so much more sense to have the kitchen on the annex side of the van and away from the bed and the table on the other side - maybe separated from the bed by the fridge or robe...?

Cheers,

Mark...:)

Cammo

Oct 3, 2015
Melbourne
Rear spare and bike rack together?

Curious if it's possible to have both? Was originally put off by the fiamma bike rack but it looks a reasonable set up? Given with Jayco anything remotely different can lead to a issues, thinking can the fiamma bike rack go above the spare on the rear?

Edit due to title change.
Yes I have seen one out of Jayco Mildura with both on the back.

Reactions: achjimmy

ACTraveller

Apr 23, 2010
ACT
Hi all - Newbie here...:) I'm also considering a 17.58-3 down the track...

It's a rhetorical question but I'm wondering why the kitchen and dining areas are not reversed. It would make so much more sense to have the kitchen on the annex side of the van and away from the bed and the table on the other side - maybe separated from the bed by the fridge or robe...?

Cheers,

Its OHS - SAFETY - venting a fridge running on LPG gas can into an annexe area, especially if enclosed by a full annexe can kill you if you beathe enough of the fumes
Cheers

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yes I have seen one out of Jayco Mildura with both on the back.

Yeah one of our members here got it too. I wasn't game to tempt fate in the end as the rear spare was crucial too me.

onehdft

Oct 2, 2015
Brisbane
Many thanks for the responses - venting the fridge to the outside (not the annex) clearly makes sense...!

Incidentally I was having a look at a 17.55-8 and wondered if (after delivery) whether some overhead bunk/lounge table assembly could be made to work in the existing lounge area. The bunks would be 3/4s but that's no issue at the moment.

Onwards through a series of ever decreasing circles - I hope...:)

Cheers,