Starcraft Starcraft 17:58-3 options & quirks. Post them here.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Rear spare and bike rack together?

Curious if it's possible to have both? Was originally put off by the fiamma bike rack but it looks a reasonable set up? Given with Jayco anything remotely different can lead to a issues, thinking can the fiamma bike rack go above the spare on the rear?

Edit due to title change.

Last edited:

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Curious if it's possible to have both? Was originally put off by the fiamma bike rack but it looks a reasonable set up? Given with Jayco anything remotely different can lead to a issues, thinking can the fiamma bike rack go above the spare on the rear?

G'day @achjimmy, when we recently enquired about this van thru Jayco Bayswater, I was advised that they do not do both on the back of the van. The spare is moved to the 'A' frame, which is what I was trying to avoid. Was also advised no to having the rear wheel dropping down like they do on the Silverline due to water tank location. Don't think you would want to do another bracket like you have just done, would you? They were happy to do rear bike rack still. The other change that we were advised is that the window near the sink is deleted as they didn't have a suitable covering for it, due to being so close to the cooktops. I also asked about having the Air Command Sparrow R/C A/C and was also advised no to this. The main reason for wanting the sparrow is, the new Truma unit from what I have read does not work in heating mode with an outside temperature below 2 or 3 degrees C. I think the Sparrow and Ibis work to zero and a little less maybe -2?. Happy to be corrected on this as it is from memory only. Good van but just a few things that we have in our current van they are not doing in the new versions of the StarCraft. Almost converted...

Happy hunting
Cheers
greynt

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks Grey. I suspected you couldn't have both. Shame, I want the spare on the rear. Will tackle bike rack later.

Yes the window over the kitchen in the plan and in the demos is no longer. And the Truma Adventa has replaced the air command. Was told its reverse cycle but on the website there's both R/C and heater element model. Tbh most reverse cycles have issues as the temps drop, will be looking at Gas heating.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Thanks Grey. I suspected you couldn't have both. Shame, I want the spare on the rear. Will tackle bike rack later.

Yes the window over the kitchen in the plan and in the demos is no longer. And the Truma Adventa has replaced the air command. Was told its reverse cycle but on the website there's both R/C and heater element model. Tbh most reverse cycles have issues as the temps drop, will be looking at Gas heating.

I have been looking at diesel heaters for free camping, I like the idea of gas as well, but the fact of cooking, fridge and possibly heating running off gas and the usage is a bit of a concern IMHO. There is another post in regards to both diesel and gas heating. Good luck with your decisions:)

Cheers
greynt

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I have been looking at diesel heaters for free camping, I like the idea of gas as well, but the fact of cooking, fridge and possibly heating running off gas and the usage is a bit of a concern IMHO. There is another post in regards to both diesel and gas heating. Good luck with your decisions:)

Cheers
greynt

Don't think you can go wrong with either heaters. It's taken us three years to use 20kg of gas with cooktop, fridge and a weber! The only concern I would have with the diesel would be the noise of the pump under the bed. But then again I wouldn't run it whilst sleeping anyway.

halbster

May 13, 2014
Its a good question and I asked specifically about this also.
The answer I got was the spare is on the rear by default on the .3 outback as up front there is 2 gas bottles and a jerry holder standard (ie: gas/jerry/gas across the front). Also as the outback has the rear bar for the spare to be mounted on. We're getting the bike rack also and the sales person said it was fine to have both. Weight distribustion aside, looking at pics of the rear with a spare mount I'm wondering if both would actually fit. I'm going for the A-frame extension as I want to mount a toolbox and/or additional bike rack up front, so I'm hoping both are on the rear also. Let us know what you find out about this. Can we specifically request to have the spare at the back? My van is still in Amber status (just I believe).

Also interesting about the window, as the plan in brouchure has a window there, and the vans I've seen have a window above the sink, so I'm expecting one to be there.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Its a good question and I asked specifically about this also.
The answer I got was the spare is on the rear by default on the .3 outback as up front there is 2 gas bottles and a jerry holder standard (ie: gas/jerry/gas across the front). Also as the outback has the rear bar for the spare to be mounted on. We're getting the bike rack also and the sales person said it was fine to have both. Weight distribustion aside, looking at pics of the rear with a spare mount I'm wondering if both would actually fit. I'm going for the A-frame extension as I want to mount a toolbox and/or additional bike rack up front, so I'm hoping both are on the rear also. Let us know what you find out about this. Can we specifically request to have the spare at the back? My van is still in Amber status (just I believe).

On the spec sheet they fill in it has a heap of check boxes. One says spare location, it needs to be stated there. My concern would be that if it turns up without a spare on the rear and the bike racks mounted to low to allow the wheel to go there, it will be a world of pain?

Also interesting about the window, as the plan in brouchure has a window there, and the vans I've seen have a window above the sink, so I'm expecting one to be there

You won't get a window from the factory. Fitted after is an option.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
On the spec sheet they fill in it has a heap of check boxes. One says spare location, it needs to be stated there. My concern would be that if it turns up without a spare on the rear and the bike racks mounted to low to allow the wheel to go there, it will be a world of pain?

You won't get a window from the factory. Fitted after is an option.

I think the reason you cannot have both is height, with the fact of the van being a pop top, as I have seen a few full sized vans with both, actually followed an 18' panda yesterday near home with both on the back.

Cheers

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I think the reason you cannot have both is height, with the fact of the van being a pop top, as I have seen a few full sized vans with both, actually followed an 18' panda yesterday near home with both on the back.

Cheers

Think your right mate. Especially given the Starcraft roof is a tad lower again.

halbster

May 13, 2014
Here is a pic of one with the spare on the rear. It does not leave much room for the bike rack.
bd5633135604618622361_zpsa73a05a7.jpg

halbster

May 13, 2014
Also achjimmy ... can you advise where it states that the window above the sink is an option? I can't see it in any of the material I have.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The window over the kitchen Is not an option. It's in the brochure, and in the brochure floor plan. It was in a 17:58-1OB but not in a 17:58-3 touring. I have seen a factory drawing of a 17:58-3 touring and it's not on that plan.

I asked the question, which was asked of the factory. No windows over the sink. Ofcourse it would be totally feasible to fit one afterwards (ex factory) and I am sure if it was a game changer you could get it done. Tbh when I saw it my wife liked the window and I was "blah" and I noticed it did not have curtains or a pelmet like the others. So if you wanted to romp around in the nude it could be an issue!

halbster

May 13, 2014
Good pickup on not having a blind on that window never noticed that before. If you can see in that window then it's an issue, not a deal breaker, but would need to fit something.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
17:58-1 outback, window and splash back.

image.jpg

17:58-3 touring, later build I believe, no window.

image.jpg