Goodies 2014 Prado GLX Diesel Build Up

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hi @The Goodwins. Just came across your thread. What a great read!! I'm especially interested in some of the mods you've done as I have just become a Prado owner myself. Picked up a standard 2014 GXL diesel (13,000km) from a private seller in Vic. Flew down to Tullamarine, inspected it, paid for it and drove it back to Newcastle on an unregistered vehicle permit. Tried to take every toll road I could to make the most of not having plates on the car :) Got it registered on Friday (wallet is very deflated) and have it booked in Tuesday at an auto elec for fitment of a tow-pro, a 12 pin plug, wiring and DC-DC charger for a future install of a house battery in the van. Then Friday, we head off north to Brisbane taking a couple of weeks to get there to visit kids. Really looking forward to our first trip in the Prado - it was a pleasure to drive back from Vic, now I'm looking forward to towing with a diesel (previous tug was a Kluger).

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
I like those USB sockets, just never got around to fitting one yet......

what I have fitted is......
Ciggy socket in the glove box - wired to fuse box under glovebox - (for the Boss)
ciggy socket drivers footwell (GPS runs off that one) - wired to ignition
2 x ciggy sockets in back of center console - wired to fuse box under glovebox - (for back seat pass toys)
2 x ciggy sockets & 1 x Engel socket and switch in rear of cargo bay - wired to fuse box on cargo barrier (which also has power for the Amp & Subs)

the 2 fuse boxes are wired to the 2nd battery both with 100A auto resettable circuit breaker
fuse box in the front also has the DVD head rests wired to it

Hi @bigcol. Where did you source the fuse box from? Is 100A correct? Seems a high rating if its only for ciggy sockets. Is an Engel socket a higher rating that a ciggy socket? Or is it physically different?
One thing I have found with the Prado is that there is a shortage of outlets to charge all the gizmos that seem to go on holidays with us. There is only a 220VAC outlet in the cargo area. Hopefully it will run the Bushman fridge with no problems.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hi @bigcol. Where did you source the fuse box from? Is 100A correct? Seems a high rating if its only for ciggy sockets. Is an Engel socket a higher rating that a ciggy socket? Or is it physically different?
One thing I have found with the Prado is that there is a shortage of outlets to charge all the gizmos that seem to go on holidays with us. There is only a 220VAC outlet in the cargo area. Hopefully it will run the Bushman fridge with no problems.

I went to 12volt world / 12volt land / whatever its called, BUT, eBay is just as great
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BAINTECH...53?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item339270e02d
Baintech fuse box.JPG
your fridge will typically only draw about 5A per hour........except start up, where it can pull up to 28A
make sure your auto sparky uses good quality wire when fitting ( I used 8mm dual core - same as Anderson Plug at rear for power wire)
I usually run 2 Engels, as well as an inverter at the rear, I have something similar to this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baintech...77?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item41814cbb41
Baintech panel.JPG
the Engel socket is a better idea than a ciggy socket - they dont use heave cable in the factory, so I use ciggy sockets for what they are - lighting cigarettes
product_g1-212s.JPG
a Merit Plug is a good one as well
meritps.jpg

your plug in the rear (220V) only has power while ignition is switched on................... keep that in mind........ and the factory wiring is crap (I know I said it before - but it is)

buy all the bit you need - when you can - and visit your auto eleccy and get him to fit them
or, better yet, while your in there getting the Towpro and other goodies, ask him his opinion of the plug at the rear, and if its suitable for the job you want it to do...... if he is a half way decent sparky, he will tell you to replace it with something more suitable

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
forgot to mention, the fuse box is 100A
has 6 fuses that will take 30A max each

the rear fuse box has
Engel 1 - Engel plug
Engel 2 - over kill Ciggy Plug
Amp & Sub
ciggy plug for Inverter (for phones only...........)

so it is only ever running 4 fuses.......

front fuse box has
Ciggy socket in glovebox for SWMBO's phone charger
2 x ciggy sockets in rear of centre console - for any "toys" that need power

if I remember I will take a pick of the plug setup I made for the rear for you.........

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
apologies for size - I cannot get them any smaller.........
this is the panel I made myself......
top plug is Heavy Duty Ciggy Socket - for 2nd engel / freezer
next one is the Engel Plug - for main fridge
then a switch to turn Engel on or off - light on - powers on.........
then normal ciggy socket for small inverter to plug into
IMAG1049.jpg

IMAG1050.jpg
this is the back of my centre console -
2 normal Ciggy sockets for pluging in chargers for lappy etc
the switch it to turn the power on or off for the DVD headrests

IMAG1051.jpg

I'm trying to find a pick of the fuse box in situ.........

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
@bigcol, thanks for the multiple posts, photos and links. Very appreciated. I often struggle with trying to visualise a written description; photos make it much easier for me. I now feel much better informed on the types of connectors and which ones should be used for what purpose. Just have to decide on what I need to fit.

I'm happy with the electrical work done to the Prado today. The auto eleco who did the job came out and explained the install to me when I picked the car up. Currently have the user guides spread out in front of me for this evening's read (after reading a few more posts ;)).

Last edited:

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
@Curryhouse

Here are the items I purchased for the Battery build.
Battery tray
$T2eC16dHJGIE9nnWrckQBQQ!715G!g~~60_57.jpg

Battery management
D250S%20DUAL_0[1].jpg

rear plug setup (I have a triple unit with a volt readout in it. I removed the rectangular plate for a flush fit) You can use that housing as a template to cut out your holes.
bf815_2.jpg

And here is how I manage hoses straps and spares in the rear of the truck
20141006_165721.jpg

I have found that @bigcol is excellent to get advice and bounce ideas off.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have found that @bigcol is excellent to get advice and bounce ideas off.

awe shucks :redface::redface::redface:............... thanks man

after 10 4WD's over the last 25 years, although I hate electric's, I can and sometimes DO master some basic goodies..........

and

I am always ready with MY opinion....................................................................................................

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
So moving on I have decided to add the Pioneer platform and on advice I am going to remove the roof rails and have the platform fitted directly to the roof. Little nervous about it but the local ARB (thanks Dean) are very experienced and capable. I plan to photo and add info with the latest addition to the forever truck. I am keen to get feedback from you all re my decision, particularly from the other 150 owners and @bigcol because at $1300 its a big purchase but opening up the roof to remove the rails does make me a little nervous. I will add the pics and itemise the parts as we go.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @The Goodwins the pioneer rack will work well for you, we ended up going with the ARB Alloy rack on our 2014 Prado GXL but for fitting its the same thing, the roof rails removed, new screws installed (and sealed) and a rack that will be much more stable for you.

Also the roof rails only have a weight limit of 80kg's so by removing them and mounting the rack directly to the roof technically this would bump the roof weight limit up to 100kg (correct me if I am wrong guys), of course you have to deduct the weight of the rack and screws, mounting bits etc from the total

I would still only put light stuff up there where possible otherwise your centre of gravity can change etc and thats when the potential for rollovers can occur if you are too top heavy :)

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Hey @Holden_man you can put the rails back at a later date but for me this is the keeper car so its fitted out well and truly. With the GVM I am actually not worried as it wont be a massive weight on the roof I just like having the bigger option. with regard to the big boppers I feel your pain as my 3 are about 3 years away from being the "Big Boppers" so I may have to get a 200 series after this lease runs out just to house them. I will be following you VERY closely:scared-61:

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Whilst these pictures are not of my truck I wanted to give people an idea of what I am looking at doing with the truck
This is the fitting on the existing rails: (Note this is not my truck but a 150 unit off the interweb)
WP_20140715_002.jpg

And this is how I plan to have it fitted;
11E10A53-BFAF-41D6-9500-BB99D8372769-5268-0000092B76059E46_zpsf110ab95.jpg

weight difference:
80kg for fitting on the existing rails
100kg for full replacement

Height difference is less than 20cm

Cost difference is around $300 for the replacement as apposed to using the existing.

Visually I have to say I am leaning towards the replacement

But I have to admit I am still not entirely convinced which way to go......over to you Expanda Family!

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
OK its a company called Raptor Racks. I have nothing to do with them just found them researching my rack and platform.

This is the link to the TREDS mount
http://4x4designs.com.au/product/tred-pioneer-side-mounting-kit/

And this is the one for the MAXTRAX
http://4x4designs.com.au/product/maxtrax-side-mounting-kit-for-rhino-pioneer-roof-racks/

I like the fact you can add the shovel mount.

It would mean that I could not add the Hi Lift jack which is currently carried in the van. I just wonder when you consider it its Hi Lift Jack or Maxtrax/Treds not really both. Am I wrong?