Goodies 2014 Prado GLX Diesel Build Up

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Latest edition is my Rhino Pioneer Maxtrax carrier. I finally found how you mount the shovel holder but was a little annoyed to discover that I had to cut down the side of the shovel mount onto the Maxtrax carrier as the weld would not allow it to sit flush.
IMG_1083.JPG

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
I suppose driving a Prado you would need them to be handy to get at, with the Colorado they just get chucked in the back to gather dust.
OK see that...hang on @Drover just found this on Wikipedia......

Colorado....... from the ancient navajo Indian saying "F@#k the Colorado just caught on fire for no reason at all"

:boink::drum::first:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
dagree said:
Just so they are easy to get to so they can be used to help others... Colorado's, Patrol's etc... :behindsofa:

dream on Alice
Wonderland is around the corner

pft - a playdoh towing a Patrol, never happen, Playdoh hasnt got the towing capacity
hahahahahahahaha

now a Suzuki Sierra - that can tow a Patrol, happened to one of my Mates at the Gas Dash (Carnarvon)
hehehehehehehehehehehe

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
dagree said:
Just so they are easy to get to so they can be used to help others... Colorado's, Patrol's etc... :behindsofa:

dream on Alice
Wonderland is around the corner

pft - a playdoh towing a Patrol, never happen, Playdoh hasnt got the towing capacity
hahahahahahahaha

now a Suzuki Sierra - that can tow a Patrol, happened to one of my Mates at the Gas Dash (Carnarvon)
hehehehehehehehehehehe

:fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

"Hook, Line and Sinker" :barbershop_quartet_member:

Reactions: bigcol and Drover

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
OK so latest addition to the tow truck.

I found, particularly when we went to Stanthorpe, that we have limited lighting if not around the van.

The solution is to fit some rear LED spotlights to the Pioneer platform on the roof.

I particularly didn't want to start drilling holes in the platform so had a look around and found that the Pioneer platform is like a swiss army knife in terms of what can be added to it.

Pioneer Spotlight mounting bracket $42 each (2 purchased)
43102-Pioneer-Spot-Light-Bracket-00.jpg

Comes as a kit and fits extremely well
43102-Pioneer-Spot-Light-Bracket-03.jpg

To this I added a set of small 18w LED lights from Ebay;
__57_3__15.jpg

Fitting was easy but having said that I haven't started wiring them up yet........

Pre Mount setup
IMG_1593.JPG

Fitted, only took about 30 minutes.
IMG_1594.JPG

And from a bit further back
IMG_1595.JPG

I am a bit OCD so the button will be in the drivers compartment and I like neat so purchased one of these;
ct518_1.jpg
I am thinking I will use 2 core 3mm wire to put the system together going through the grommet behind the left tail light and under the rubber strip on the roof.

The lights apparently draw 1.125A and the 3mm is rated to 10A so the 2 lights plus the damp drop for distance should still have it working perfectly but I am sure there are some out there that can check an amateurs numbers.
s-l1600.jpg

Any advice re wire size would be appreciated.

I plan to go under the car up into the engine bay and connect to the second battery as the system will be used for camping and occasionally reversing so I don't want it on the reverse circuit.

Reactions: bigcol and Bluey

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It's nice to see an item with a functional design to allow you to find the right fittings and get things installed properly.

We made the mistake of buying a cheapie (roof basket) as we didn't expect to have the need to use it except for very lightweight stuff. Anything to be added to the roof is now a pain in the......to do! (Solar panels and wiring etc)

The rhino is just like a meccano set! No wonder they're more expensive.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
@burnsie do you think the 3 mil is the way to go?

I used the following which was 3mm Twin Core, used the lights extensively on our trip around oz with no issues.

IMG_5648.JPG

http://www.tycab.com.au/automotive-range/twin-sheath-two-core-flat.html

This one based on their website is rated to 16amp, so I used this for all 6 lights on the roof, ran separate positive wires to the switches and used one earth as the lights were under 1.5amps each, so I manage to squeeze all four cables through the grommet under the back of the tail light.

Great write up here for running the cables for the Prado 150

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
and now I am thinking.......for the front of the rack......
View attachment 45819
Fitted as......
View attachment 45820

just a thought..........
instead of putting it
in front of your rack
or
on top of your rack

mount it so it is between the rack & the roof of the car.................

why...................?

too high, and the light reflects off your bonnet into your vision

by having it between the rack and the roof, it will not reflect (on the bonnet) and not impinge on your forward viewing