Goodies 2014 Prado GLX Diesel Build Up

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Not happy at all with Rhino as I was told that they did not do the backbone for the 150 series so I went with the 3 leg mount instead. Now I find out that the backbone unit WAS available at the time. NOT HAPPY Rhino!

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
This is what I actually wanted with the Pioneer platform
RTPB1-01.jpg

This is the mount I ended up with
42107B-Pioneer-Platform-02.jpg

Mine is the 3 leg. Look its fine but I really wanted the backbone fitting.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hi @The Goodwins. Hope you had a great Christmas and all the best for the New Year. A question about your Prado van wiring - do you have an anderson connector/plug on the Prado? If so, is it loose or fixed? If fixed, where did you mount it? My Sterling has a 7 pin plug and an anderson plug. I had previously had the Prado wired with a 12 pin plug when planning to fit a house battery and wiring to the old van. After reading some posts on this forum about problems with 12 pin plugs overheating, I'm leaning towards adding an anderson plug to the Prado.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hey @Curryhouse this is ours in a 2014 Prado, bracket was added to the exisiting one.

View attachment 37914
Hi @burnsie. Thanks for the reply and the pic. My initial thought was that I'd need to add a plate or bracket to the existing plug set-up. Now added to the 'to-do' list. Just waiting for delivery of some anderson plugs.
Do you mind if I ask how you get on with opening the rear door when you have your van hooked up? With the Sterling, mine opens part way but hits the coupling handle.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hey @Bluey really backbone was $120 a set does the mount have rubber attachments around the feet to prevent moisture entering. For $120 I might change to them
They come with all the bolts needed and rubbers but i would put some matsick not salistic around holes somthing that dosnt set but ring ARB first i got mine from hoppers crossing in melb but prices should be the same anything would fit onto the roof rails very good i think

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hey @Curryhouse not sure if yours is the outback model, we have the Expanda Outback and the hitch sits lower in between the A-Frame so the Prado Door opens over the top of this no problems, probably get it open 85% before it hits the gas bottle, we have a standard drawbar.

Not the OB model. Have only had one short trip with the new van since we bought it. Need to fine tune the Prado/Sterling setup over a few more trips. If the door problem bugs me too much, I'm going to look at a mchitch as a possible option.

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
So bugger............had a piece of steel through the side wall of the BF Goodrich KO A/T's because I only had a 265 on the rear it was time to bite the bullet and buy 2 tyres
Had 2 options
1. Purchase a set of original KO's at $400 a tyre..........or
2. Go for a set of the new KO2 at $350 a tyre

Went for the KO2 for a few reasons other than price particularly as I am not replacing all 4 eventually it will be hard to get a KO original.

The tyre difference is very interesting with the KO 2 apparently a "less aggressive" tread and more all terrain.

The existing BF Goodrich AT 265/75 R17 KO Now only on the rear and spare on the back
KO_1.JPG

The new BF Goodrich AT 265/75 R17 KO'2 Now fitted to the front Note the new side tread.
KO_2.JPG

Lets see how they go.....at $750 including the alignment it better be bloody good!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
at $750 including the alignment it better be bloody good!
I said exactly the same when I paid $1,950 for 5 K02's and a wheel alignment!

Only tried them in sand so far and more than happy with them so far. I like the way the tread "wraps" around onto the sidewall giving more tread on the footprint when aired down.

Reactions: Smirke and bigcol