Drainage

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Jayco sinks generally don't drain exceptionally well, and I found that the reason on my previous Expanda was that the sink fitting on the bowl side is too long for the elbow under the sink, i.e. the thread on the male top section screws down too far into the actual bend area on the elbow, effectively blocking 50% of the elbow. You can check your own by poking your pinky down the sink waste and feeling how much of the elbow is clear. If you can't feel a completely free, round smooth bend ........ then you too have the dreaded "Jayco Sink Block'itis". The remedy it simple, just unscrew it and cut 1/2 inch of the thread.

You'll see that Im quite the accomplished artist as well.

20140927_00001_1.jpg

We have our first shower model on order. Im curious about the double clear hoses and joiner that seems to lie on the ground. Why can't the sink and shower wastes join at the top i.e. under the chassis and have one waste outlet, instead of having the two long clear pipes to the ground fitting. It would seem that the whole drainage system is limited by the single sullage anyway, so what benefit would the double pipe produce.

image12.jpg
A short sullage hose is a good silage hose....
Thanks twscoot for posting the original pic

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Jayco sinks generally don't drain exceptionally well, and I found that the reason on my previous Expanda was that the sink fitting on the bowl side is too long for the elbow under the sink, i.e. the thread on the male top section screws down too far into the actual bend area on the elbow, effectively blocking 50% of the elbow. You can check your own by poking your pinky down the sink waste and feeling how much of the elbow is clear. If you can't feel a completely free, round smooth bend ........ then you too have the dreaded "Jayco Sink Block'itis". The remedy it simple, just unscrew it and cut 1/2 inch of the thread.

You'll see that Im quite the accomplished artist as well.

View attachment 26447

We have our first shower model on order. Im curious about the double clear hoses and joiner that seems to lie on the ground. Why can't the sink and shower wastes join at the top i.e. under the chassis and have one waste outlet, instead of having the two long clear pipes to the ground fitting. It would seem that the whole drainage system is limited by the single sullage anyway, so what benefit would the double pipe produce.

View attachment 26448
crusty181 check out my pics on my byeing 1756-2 thread u can have it shorter but !!!!! u nust have a bigger hose I made new system with 25mm pvc but going to refine it tomoz put new pics on tomorrow night it can back up to the shower If a bigger hose is not used speed is the key my sink has a whirpool its so fast u can put a breather on the line too and run it up under sink to help make sure ur drainage hoses arnt saging this slows it too I lifted mine just so it has good flow now it flys out

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I always thought it was so you he'd the option to treat the ways differently. Eg. Maybe dump the sink and recycle the shower? Just a thought.
Actually, we have a washing machine in our new Van and so we have 3 waste points!

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
you can change the sink waste over to a straight down one, so it goes straight into the pipe. Could cut into pipe under sink , put in t and run a pipe up under bench with a non return value, see my pics in colin&sue in my jayco.
Need to get air into system to draw, like putting a second hole in a can when you pour. ( however your sink would use shower drain to draw un less both are exiting water at same time.

Reason for jaycos long pipes, bit like a retention drain to store waste water while it gets away, to prevent back up.

hope this helps, if i find my pic i will post.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney

View attachment 26448

@Crusty181 When we had our handover at the dealers, they told me to shorten the clear hoses by half, and keep the off cuts as spares.

I did that on our last trip and it seems to work well with no back flow into the shower.

Reactions: jeff and Crusty181

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I always thought it was so you he'd the option to treat the ways differently. Eg. Maybe dump the sink and recycle the shower? Just a thought.
Actually, we have a washing machine in our new Van and so we have 3 waste points!
Our washing machine is completely seperate and uses a larger hose

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We're getting a washing machine ........ so there will be 3 PVC pipe outlets?? Does the connector on the ground have 3 connection points??? Seems a little bit of an odd system

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 When we had our handover at the dealers, they told me to shorten the clear hoses by half, and keep the off cuts as spares.

I did that on our last trip and it seems to work well with no back flow into the shower.
Does that result in the plastic bridle thing hanging in the the air?? One of the experiments I never got around to with the last Expanda was to leave a bucket under the waste outlets, and attached the sullage hose to an outlet at the bottom of the bucket, as Collin mentioned for a simple retention type system. I also thought about mounting a cheap water activated bilge pump in the bucket for those sites where your sullage runs uphill.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Our washing machine is completely seperate and uses a larger hose
When you say larger hose, are you talking about the entire discharge route. Is the waste PVC larger, and is the washing machine waste then entirely independent of the plastic bridle for sink and shower. Multiple discharge points and larger outlet hoses would seem to be of little effect if everything bottlenecks into the one standard roll out sullage pipe. I think I can see why people complain of carrots, peas and noodles popping up and invading the shower.

Could I ask you to post a pic of the waste setup ??

This is difficult to visualise when my van delivery is 3 weeks away, and Ive never had a shower .... or certainly a washing machine before (Washing machine. ha. We'll have a damn washing machine in a caravan, Im still struggling with that. For someone that only ever referred to our 16.49 as a "camper" and never a caravan .... Im not sure how I feel about the foreign and bazaar concept of a washing machine)

My bucket drainage idea is gathering momentum in my head ....

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We're getting a washing machine ........ so there will be 3 PVC pipe outlets?? Does the connector on the ground have 3 connection points??? Seems a little bit of an odd system
Our 18 had 3 points two as normal and one just below the washing machine. I have since stripped out the drains under the van and run two 40mm drains. Kitchen sink and washing machine on one and shower/basin on the other.

Reactions: Crusty181

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com

We've done this day one with Swan and now Expanda, works a treat for us.

Only when those pesky grapes slip through to the keeper is when drainage is issue, obviously. Pace.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
When you say larger hose, are you talking about the entire discharge route. Is the waste PVC larger, and is the washing machine waste then entirely independent of the plastic bridle for sink and shower. Multiple discharge points and larger outlet hoses would seem to be of little effect if everything bottlenecks into the one standard roll out sullage pipe. I think I can see why people complain of carrots, peas and noodles popping up and invading the shower.

This is difficult to visualise when my van delivery is 3 weeks away, and Ive never had a shower .... or certainly a washing machine before (Washing machine. ha. We'll have a damn washing machine in a caravan, Im still struggling with that. For someone that only ever referred to our 16.49 as a "camper" and never a caravan .... Im not sure how I feel about the foreign and bazaar concept of a washing machine)

Yes the washing machine has a larger separate line . I'm changing my other twin outlet to similar to bluey the jayco one has restrictions in the elbows .
I will post pics today once I have done it

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia

will post pics tomoz didn't get around to it today as I said my pics so far are on my byeing a new 1756-2 ob thread second last page I think u could make I system with 3 inlets maybe I think u can get 25mm to 40mm to make it bigger for ur washing stay tuned crusty181

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
will post pics tomoz didn't get around to it today as I said my pics so far are on my byeing a new 1756-2 ob thread second last page I think u could make I system with 3 inlets maybe I think u can get 25mm to 40mm to make it bigger for ur washing stay tuned crusty181
Thanks guys, appreciate the input