Drainage

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Actually, the drainage bucket is clean as a whistle. Maybe because the washing machine has been getting a hammering.

Reactions: relgate

BruceD

Jun 12, 2013
Canberra
@Colin&Sue I am thinking of adding a breather outlet for my sink as well. Can you tell me where you purchased the non-return valve. I have looked at Bunnings but can only find "Check Valves" which are white PVC.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
@Colin&Sue I am thinking of adding a breather outlet for my sink as well. Can you tell me where you purchased the non-return valve. I have looked at Bunnings but can only find "Check Valves" which are white PVC.

I purchased it from a local marine store called, Sport Phillip Marine, in Mornington Victoria. 19mm non return value (whale brand)
If you get stuck and can't find one you could call them and speak to Bruce, he could post one.

The link below is for the company that imports them and sells online, however you can find a stockist near you via BLA the site belows home page.

http://bla.com.au/default/non-return-valves.html?___SID=U

now i have explained all that, grab yourself a seat - RRP $31.10 :o

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Just run your drains into a bucket and have a hose connection off the bucket. It is the easiest mod that will fix your drains.

Reactions: bigcol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Thirsty possums ????????
We keep our BBQ on our back veranda. One day when I took the cover off there was no fat in the drip tray, though lots of teeth marks.
We live in the bush and I suspect Hungry Possums (or some other small marsupial)??
So they are very adventurous in their diet.

Reactions: davemc

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have found the best way to clean the barbie is lift the lid and let the horses in the yard for the night, clean as a whistle the next morning except they eat everything else thats around.

Fixed my sink drain today, $4 on a new straight drop sink socket and a new bit of pipe with a 90 deg further along and it runs away nicely........................was thinking I might have needed a breather since it runs all the way to the back but looks like not needed, I was just going to put a T piece in and run a hose higher than the sink drain, why bother with a non return valve for air ?????? If it stinks then you have another problem.

Reactions: yabbietol

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
gi day @Drover, wish we had horses, lol.

good to here your sink is sorted, pretty much what i did, cut and put t piece, pipe up high under sink cupboard, guess i have a habit of over doing things, hence the non return value i put in, just in case water backed up.

Reactions: Drover

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
View attachment 28934 Have solved our water drainage issues. The sinks both empty as fast as they do at home now. Very happy.
Great idea Linda64!
Whilst away last week, our shower was very slow to drain (flooded into the camper once) and had thought of a similar idea. My initial thought was to run 100mm waste pipe across the van, between the chassis legs to act as either a surge chamber or a small waste holding tank. Not sure about the risk of smells from a tank, so still working on the plan. Would also need more than 1 run of pipe to make an adequate size of tank.
Even if I don't fabricate a holding tank, still thinking of relocating the waste pipes to exit centrally at the rear - not sure why they exit to the right hand side since 50% of the time, the campsite tap and drain is on the other side requiring a longer run of hose.
Has anyone else retro fitted a waste tank, or resolved the drainage issue, other than using a bucket on the ground (I know that a bucket will work, but prefer the excuse to tinker with things and fabricate a permanent solution).

Reactions: Delano

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Soon get sick of the bucket, the grey water tank I knocked up did away with the 3 into one, no more water backing up into anything if the drain tap is turned off ,if tank gets full it will overflow via the breather otherwise hook hose and drain normally.......................BUT Wait there's more it comes with the added bonus for those sites where the drain is uphill, the tank will allow your sullage water to drain uphill and not flood your van..................................No buy one get two deal okay.

Reactions: skippy and dagree

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
I replumbed the whole van, but that maybe a little to far toward the extreme end of fixing it. In my defence it works
Agree that fixing or improving the vans plumbing is the first stage, so will have a good look at what I can do there.
What size sullage hoses do people use? Common sizes appear to range from 25, 28, to 38mm.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Black, corrugated hose from Bunning, $9.50 for a good 10mts I think with fancy ends........................have no idea what size it is but about 25 - 30mm, looks as good as the $50 brand named ones and amazingly works just as well...........mind you the secret is, if you have a sink drain that has a 90 deg bend, chuck it, spend $8 on one that is straight, may need to add a 90deg bend with a 30c Pope garden fitting a bit further down but the water will drain away and possibly suck a spoon or two as well.

Reactions: Smirke and dagree