Drainage

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

IMG_0768.JPG

crusty181, mfexpanda , smergen , now this is looking very neat below in pic is the straight one I like the one with the bends

Reactions: mfexpanda

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

Thanks guys for the pics

Is it a coincidence you guys have the same screw on wastes ???

The Washing Machine waste is unlike the other two ... i.e. its bigger and straight?? What does the washing machine waste connect in to; a separate larger sullage pipe? I presume the screw caps left attached on the wastes are held in place by the rubber seals??

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Thanks guys for the pics

Is it a coincidence you guys have the same screw on wastes ???

The Washing Machine waste is unlike the other two ... i.e. its bigger and straight?? What does the washing machine waste connect in to; a separate larger sullage pipe? I presume the screw caps left attached on the wastes are held in place by the rubber seals??
The washing machine pipe is 40mm and comes with a plastic tail that screws to the threaded end .
Yes I put some silastic under the rubber seal so I can leave them on when traveling

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Bit of a drainage revelation. I have my patented 12v sump extravaganza in action these holidays. The site we're on i would consider about as flat as they come so i connected the gravity outlet of the sump ... no need for the pump

The waste is about is about 4 meters away and about 2 inches or so above ground, so the sullage hose kicks up that last bit. I have an elbow on that end, so theres no extra hump bend into the hole.

The sump is 10 litres. On day 3 i wandered up that side of the van and noticed about 8 litres sitting in the 10 litre sump ... we hadnt used anything since a few hours previous ... so it had been like that for some time. With a bath ring around the top of the sump it had been clearly overflowing onto the ground.

The point being the visual of just how ineffective and under rated this vans standard drainage setup horrified me. The standard size sullage is completely inadequate. There is zero surprise that waste would backup into the van using it as its delivered. Without the sump, what was sitting in the sump would be continuously sitting in the sullage hose and already half way upto the van .... and not take much flow to come back in.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats why I like my grey water tank set up, if the hose is a bit up hill the grey tank stops back flow and it ends up running away trouble free.
Have had a gutfull of the plastic pipe drains this trip, going proper pvc pipe from sink and replacing that stupid little sink plug hole as well, I want the thing to empty like a bloody whirlpool enough to suck a cup down the damn hole.
Just did the dishes, ggrrrr.

Can you get a sink drain thats vertical no 90 deg bend ?????

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Can you get a sink drain thats vertical no 90 deg bend ?????

Yep you can, replaced mine a while back just had to change the pipe to the black flexi stuff to use the same holes in cupboard an floor, worked a tread, couldn't be bothered stuffing around with full pvc. think I've got a pic somewhere.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks @Bushman will go looking for one then when I get back see how it goes then decide if I'll go PVC. Might just need to upgrade my grey water tank connection.

Reactions: bigcol

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I have now put a bucket under our twin outlets and a drain off the bucket. Seems to work well now. Any overflow will happen outside at the bucket.

Edit. Tested for a day now. Much better drainage. Sink drains quick, washing machine drains well, so all in all probably the easiest drainage mod to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: skippy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have now put a bucket under our twin outlets and a drain off the bucket. Seems to work well now. Any overflow will happen outside at the bucket.

Edit. Tested for a day now. Much better drainage. Sink drains quick, washing machine drains well, so all in all probably the easiest drainage mod to do.
I have similar,testing went extraordinarily well, but in real world use we discovered you have to be mindfull what you put down the sink. The gunge in it after a week of use was like a grease pit

We've started to put more in the bin and every 2 or 3 days empty a nice hot sink of soapy water through whilst i give the sump a 30sec scrub as the soapy water runs through. So far much better, and i certainly wont be going back to hard connecting the sullage

Reactions: macca

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Mrs Crusty drop a rasberry down the plug hole today and blocked the drain. She walked of the van asked a what if " ..... someone dropped something down ....."

Bit like ".... a friend of mine wants to know ......"

Couldnt see the damned thing in any of the clear drain hose, so it must have been hiding in the pvc

I was king of the campers for the peak allowable period of 10min after i blew it out with some hose shoved down the sink

11min later i was a forgotten nobody. But ill remember when i was important

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Mrs Crusty drop a rasberry down the plug hole today and blocked the drain. She walked of the van asked a what if " ..... someone dropped something down ....."

Bit like ".... a friend of mine wants to know ......"

Couldnt see the damned thing in any of the clear drain hose, so it must have been hiding in the pvc

I was king of the campers for the peak allowable period of 10min after i blew it out with some hose shoved down the sink

11min later i was a forgotten nobody. But ill remember when i was important
Did you manage to save the raspberry?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@macca and @Crusty181 thats where my grey water tank is superior, allowing water to back up but not flood things and holds all the Goobers and yucky stuff so that when you get home you can just take the cap off, hold your nose and hose the thing out, clean and ready for the next run.................also holds the stuff till dark when you can silently let it go when no one see's.