Dagree's (David & Greer) 2014 17.56.2OB

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Will of course post a pic of when it's done. And had the spare wheel moved to the back on the weekend too :D which should just be standard when building the 14.44-4's!
Hopefully get ours on the back this weekend also :thumb:

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
That Ali box looks great. The wife wanted the weber out of the van and I showed her the pics of your set up and now off to O'Connor today :)

Reactions: dagree

jandl

Mar 18, 2014
Perth
That saying is so very true @dagree. Ventured south of the river to O'Connor and picked up the same box to house a couple of gas bottles and the baby Q. Will move the spare to under the rear before fitting the box. It's one of those gunna jobs that I will eventually get to. I had to strike and get the box whilst the permission window was open :encouragement:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@jandl I couldn't resist the box when I saw it.... Got it there and then (after looking around at a few). It was a case of do it and suffer the consequences after ;) All was cool after she saw it and what could be taken out of the van and stored in there.

Fabricating a drop down wheel holder for the rear of ours this weekend. Was contemplating the under van version but did some trial weighing of the ball weight and having it "hanging over the back" with the box on front and loaded brought the ball weight to within 5 kgs of original:)

Reactions: bigcol and skippy

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I spoke to "David" from on their web site...........
I will be getting my box Monday afternoon, but it wont be fitted this week I dont think...... too many other things to do first
move spare etc........

but I GOT MY BOX........

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I looked around for a while and almost got put off by the prices for what they are... Then a guy from work put me onto the mob I got mine from. Went home and took some measurements and it was a no brainer to go back and get one. Took it down the drive after fitting and did a "sharp" turn and front corner of box was about 200mm away from the rear of the car :)

@dagree , Are you happy with the width of your new box or after your turning test would have you gone a bit wider? I am investigating what size to make my box as I don't have extended draw bar.

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
@dagree , Are you happy with the width of your new box or after your turning test would have you gone a bit wider? I am investigating what size to make my box as I don't have extended draw bar.
gi day macca, same here non extended draw bar, jack knifed the trailer (on purpose) last long weekend, and car about 200mm off / forward of gas bottle. guess u could measure distance from tow ball to outer edge of vehicle bumper ( half width of total vehicle ) then measure this from tow ball straight back to van and don't bring ur box further forward than that.
be keen to see what you do and some pics, won't get mine for a bit, other mods and expenses to cover first (the wife).

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@macca ... I wouldn't go any wider without an extended draw bar. Made a few measurements as I wanted to fabricate a couple of brackets and mount the gas bottles outside the ali box but it was a bit too close for comfort... Plus knowing me I would have put too many extras in the box and go totally over the ball limit :mod:

Reactions: Stephen Galvin

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I went with the same as yours @dagree as the one I want to get - is still in my head, and not on paper
and
I dont know when I will ever get it down on paper

better to get the box thats available
than to wait for the Custom one that may never appear.....

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Drop Down Spare Wheel Holder "Mark 1".....
With the ali box on the front and the WA Get Together happening next weekend thought it was about time to get the old 10Amp welder out and dust the cobwebs off it and finish the spare wheel holder.....

Spare Wheel Holder 001.jpg Spare Wheel Holder 002.jpg Spare Wheel Holder 003.jpg Spare Wheel Holder 004.jpg Spare Wheel Holder 005.jpg Spare Wheel Holder 006.jpg Spare Wheel Holder 007.jpg

"Mark 2" will be done by a fabricator that "owes me a few" ;) and will consist of a new bumper bar, drop down components and fully galvinised. Just need to find the time to get the van to Bibra Lake for a few hours so he can do some measuring!

In the mean time I'll see how this one goes! Checked the towball weight when complete and with the box loaded it is 15KG's heavier than original so hopefully when I eventually get the new bar and holder made (Heavier Duty) it should balance out!

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
With the spare wheel holder complete and an hour of sunshine left (just) started the next couple of additions to the van....

Shower Mirror.jpg
SWMBO'd likes to look at herself when trying to make herself "beautiful" and cleaning her teeth so a small mirror was added above the ensuite basin... Lucky she's a short @r$e :behindsofa:

Shower Curtain Rail.jpg
As others may have found out it's a PITA drying the dunny and putting up with water running down the inside of the door, when opened, and dripping on the van floor after having a shower so have installed a curtain rail.... Now all that is needed is the curtain but she assures me one will be waiting for me when I get home tomorrow night!!

Last edited:

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
With the spare wheel holder complete and an hour of sunshine left (just) started the next couple of additions to the van....

View attachment 23171
SWMBO'd likes to look at herself when trying to make herself "beautiful" and cleaning her teeth so a small mirror was added above the ensuite basin... Lucky she's a short @r$e :behindsofa:

View attachment 23172
As others may have found out it's a PITA drying the dunny and putting up with water running down the inside of the door, when opened, and dripping on the van floor after having a shower so have installed a curtain rail.... Now all that is needed is the curtain but she assures me one will be waiting for me when I get home tomorrow night!!

Is that a pre curser for where your roughing it tonight due to the fact you have stated ''SWMBO trys to make herself beautiful'', or that'' she is a short in stature''.
Me personally, I wouldve gone with enjoying a well earned refreshment during last hour of sunlight after doing that spare wheel holder.;)
Let us know how you go........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats exactly what I have on the ' To Do' list @dagree , did you just glue the mirror on and is it glass or metal, looks good . My boss has been at me about a shower curtain, now I have shown her yours I have been told to move it to the top of list......I'm still tossing up whether to put the spare underneath in a slide in rack which is easier or on the bar, just a lot of work on the bar when flats are not that commn and I can repair most in situ.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
With the rear bar could you take that off and give to your mate while he makes a new one or is he mounting it differently?