Journey Bill's Journey 17.55-9OB

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Oh I like that, well done @Billrw136 . Interested to see how the positive filling goes and I may copy you bill . Replacing the pos plastic lock on the lid is my other "to do"

Reactions: Billrw136

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Thanks all for likes and comments!
More photos etc to come over the next week - work is getting in the way of more important stuff, i.e. mods!
Very happy so far with water mod.
@chartrock will post photo also of mod to upper shower door bracket. How are you going with your plans for your Journey Paul?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@chartrock will post photo also of mod to upper shower door bracket. How are you going with your plans for your Journey Paul?
G'day Bill, we have started playing around with the Journey, Elaine has been putting everything that we think we need into the van, trying to work out which cupboard or drawer to fit things in. :(

I have started some mods, pulled the little cupboard apart beside the stove ready to install a pull out pantry DSC_8689.JPG and managed to tidy up the 'rats nest' of wiring under the van. It is still a rats nest but at least it is now in a water proof alloy box.
DSC_8690.JPG From this to this DSC_8695.JPG

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
G'day Bill, we have started playing around with the Journey, Elaine has been putting everything that we think we need into the van, trying to work out which cupboard or drawer to fit things in. :(

I have started some mods, pulled the little cupboard apart beside the stove ready to install a pull out pantry View attachment 29035 and managed to tidy up the 'rats nest' of wiring under the van. It is still a rats nest but at least it is now in a water proof alloy box.
View attachment 29036 From this to this View attachment 29037
Looks good Paul - where are you sourcing your pull out pantry from? Or are you making it yourself? We have a set of baskets from a $2 shop at the moment that sort of vaguely work, but interested in a better fix..
Bill

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Looks good Paul - where are you sourcing your pull out pantry from? Or are you making it yourself? We have a set of baskets from a $2 shop at the moment that sort of vaguely work, but interested in a better fix..
Bill
Bill, I started out to make it myself but there are kits already made with two baskets which I believe will fit, at least the dimensions they quote will fit the way I want. The problem is that Camec are out of them but there is a place in Queanbeyan that has them in packs of two and wont separate them. I thought about buying the pair for $89 and selling off one set but postage of $36 added to the cost puts them dearer than buying two from Camec at $55 each. Camec said they will have them in our local store on 20th Jan so I may just wait.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Bill, I started out to make it myself but there are kits already made with two baskets which I believe will fit, at least the dimensions they quote will fit the way I want. The problem is that Camec are out of them but there is a place in Queanbeyan that has them in packs of two and wont separate them. I thought about buying the pair for $89 and selling off one set but postage of $36 added to the cost puts them dearer than buying two from Camec at $55 each. Camec said they will have them in our local store on 20th Jan so I may just wait.
Thanks for that info...
Paul - I presume you would attach the door to the front of the slideout rather than leaving it hinged? Otherwise I am not sure you could fit it?? The other awkward process would be trying to insert the screws of the runners in the depth of the space.
Anne and I are spending a week in Canberra soon, so may well call into Caravansplus in Queanbeyan and have a look.

Reactions: chartrock

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks for that info...
Paul - I presume you would attach the door to the front of the slideout rather than leaving it hinged? Otherwise I am not sure you could fit it?? The other awkward process would be trying to insert the screws of the runners in the depth of the space.
Anne and I are spending a week in Canberra soon, so may well call into Caravansplus in Queanbeyan and have a look.

I have actually removed the strip of timber on the left side of the frame, the piece with the metal bracket to latch against, and cut it down to about 13 mm thick then put the latch plate on a piece of timber to take it out to its original position. This has gained the extra width I need to clear the door and it should still cover the extra gap. Otherwise, yes. I will have to mount the door to the baskets. It is just a "suck it and see" thing until I get the assembly.

And those screws will be a real bitch to fit, thank goodness for long arms and stubby screwdrivers. :becky:

Reactions: Billrw136

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I have actually removed the strip of timber on the left side of the frame, the piece with the metal bracket to latch against, and cut it down to about 13 mm thick then put the latch plate on a piece of timber to take it out to its original position. This has gained the extra width I need to clear the door and it should still cover the extra gap. Otherwise, yes. I will have to mount the door to the baskets. It is just a "suck it and see" thing until I get the assembly.

And those screws will be a real bitch to fit, thank goodness for long arms and stubby screwdrivers. :becky:
Paul, are there electrical odds and sods in the way of installing the frame on the right hand side of the space in your van?
We have a PowerPoint and TV point there - though the frame may fit above and below these things. It's a pity we don't live closer to each other - we could have shared one from Caravansplus!

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
A few more photos......
Holder for B.E.S.T. water filter.....
IMG_1057.JPG

Next photos show basic box in place - not the biggest, but gets a bit of stuff out of the front boot - makes for better organisation!

IMG_1058.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG

150mm pipe will hold the anti flap bars....
The pipe will be fitted tomorrow hopefully....

Cheers
Bill

Reactions: bigcol and 17triton

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Happy new year Paul @chartrock and Bill @Billrw136 (my favourite 2 silly old buggers)
Well because I am the youngest out of us 3 die hards I think I have decided to go a completely different direction and buy a partly assembled van and do the fit out myself!!! They have a few internal modules and I will wire and plumb it as well as fit the accessories such as sink, stove, AC, tele and stereo etc. Off to see them next week (they are just down the road) and will see what we can do, I was going to build a boat and Carmel suggested I build something useful, so a van it is (here comes the divorce). Anyway if all goes ahead i will start a build thread, have to sell the expanda first though, pic below of what I am toying with, full sandwich panel fully sealed and insulated etc, cheers Dave.
Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 4.48.12 pm.png

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Can't wait to see it Dave:encouragement:. My old man decked out a coaster bus instead of a van but similar thought plan I think.