17' Series Any essential upgrades?

feva

Nov 25, 2013
Hi All,

We have just purchased a 17.56-1 2014 model, with the only upgrades being privacy screens and wind up antenna. But now, as I am reading through the forums, I am wondering if there are any other upgrades which may make for more pleasant travels. We're not after anything too fancy, more from a practicality side of things.

I enquired about shelving in the cupboards, and for 3 extra shelves in each cupboard the cost is $125 each (total $250) which seemed quite steep but at the same time very practical. Also any thoughts on curtains to bunks?

The 2014 model already has the 150L fridge, and wiring for solar included.

Thanks
feva

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Welcome to the forum, @feva. :welcome: If you scan the forums you will find lots of posts on how members have fitted shelves to their vans in different cupboards with plenty of advice on how to DIY. There are also members who have fitted curtains on their bunks. I'm sure a number of them will come in with advice for you. (I don't have bunks in my 14 footer) :becky:

Reactions: feva

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome @feva, apart from battery pack which might be standard now? I like the outside speakers and the drop down table, I think the gas bayonet is also standard now? Maybe consider some extra 12v/240v outlets. I also think the curtain for bunks is a good thing!
Cheers.

ejboyd

Oct 20, 2011
We are also looking at purchasing the 2014 in that model and the extras we are looking at are picnic table, privacy screens, wind up antenna and possibly extending the draw bar. With the additional inclusions on the 2014 model like battery pack and solar panels etc we think we should be pretty right.
We are just weighing up between a 2012 outback second hand that is pretty reasonably priced and brand new. Do you mind me asking how much they quoted you?

BLJM

Nov 7, 2013
chirnside park
Welcome Feva, I think curtain is great idea if kids asleep and you want to watch some tele or read a book. We also had shelving done at the factory to make the cupboard more usable. I'm a big fan of getting the axels under slung as it gives about 4" extra clearance and a much cheaper way than going the OB if you only need some extra clearance.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Welcome to the forum @feva extra gpo points under the dinning areas are good for charging those required items. Get the spice rack, re the shelves, check out @17triton thread/ post for how he done the shelves and storage solution, first rate job there.
Suggestion above agree with. Pace.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
We are also looking at purchasing the 2014 in that model and the extras we are looking at are picnic table, privacy screens, wind up antenna and possibly extending the draw bar. With the additional inclusions on the 2014 model like battery pack and solar panels etc we think we should be pretty right.
We are just weighing up between a 2012 outback second hand that is pretty reasonably priced and brand new. Do you mind me asking how much they quoted you?

Nothing wrong with '12 OB, which model is it 56.1 or 56.2? Personally, i wouldn't have another van without shower/ toilet combo, so good/ convenient. Also, for the price you'd pay for the '12 OB you'll have change possibly to go away a few times all ready up your sleeve. Oh, welcome to the @ejboyd

Pace.

feva

Nov 25, 2013

Hi! We were quoted $37900, but that is just the on-road model, not outback. We found that there was not a huge difference in price between new/old from what we saw.

ejboyd

Oct 20, 2011
Nothing wrong with '12 OB, which model is it 56.1 or 56.2? Personally, i wouldn't have another van without shower/ toilet combo, so good/ convenient. Also, for the price you'd pay for the '12 OB you'll have change possibly to go away a few times all ready up your sleeve. Oh, welcome to the @ejboyd

Pace.[/qu
We are looking at the 56-1. We have decided to sacrifice the toilet and shower for more cupboard/bench space. The 2012 is listed for $38,000.00 and the quote we have just received for 2014 with our extras would be about $42,500.00. They said they have tried to really look after us as we bought a 16.49-1 from them 3 years ago.

ejboyd

Oct 20, 2011
We are looking at the 17.56-1. Have decided to forgo toilet and shower for extra storage and bench space. The 2012 17.56-1 outback is listed as $38,000.00 and they have quoted us about $42,500.00 with the extras that we are after.

ejboyd

Oct 20, 2011
That sounds like a pretty good deal. There is not normally a big difference in new vs second hand price. That is why when we bought a 16.49-1 3 years ago we bought brand new. The reason we are looking at the second hand option is we could have it straight away and with the change in suspension to the outbacks there will be about a $5000 difference.
Hi! We were quoted $37900, but that is just the on-road model, not outback. We found that there was not a huge difference in price between new/old from what we saw.

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Welcome Feva, I think curtain is great idea if kids asleep and you want to watch some tele or read a book. We also had shelving done at the factory to make the cupboard more usable. I'm a big fan of getting the axels under slung as it gives about 4" extra clearance and a much cheaper way than going the OB if you only need some extra clearance.
I agree the curtains are a great idea, and not just for the kids. Mr. W and I have them on our bed and thought we would never need to use them. First night away on our shake down trip I was so grateful for them. Son was watching movies on his laptop till the early hours, with earphones thank goodness and we had our 2 dogs with us who were a little out of sorts in the new surroundings, so every hour or 2 they would come up to the side of our bed and wag their tails. Closed the curtains - problem solved!! Curtains - not just good for kids :smile-34:

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
:welcome: @feva .
Extra power points like pace says are handy around sitting areas.
Also, if you have small kids, check if they intend to install any switches at kiddie height and have them moved somewhere less "touchable"

Navman

Jun 28, 2013
Hi there Feva! We too have not long had our 17.56.1. on road model. One of the best things that I can recommend is requesting to have underslung axles. It cost us around and extra $250 which included a step and it really raises the clearance level as they do tend to sit a little low to the ground otherwise :)

Reactions: Xpandafan and feva