17' Series Any essential upgrades?

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
go double power point under awning very handy , don;t you get curtains on bunk as standard we did in our 20

Reactions: feva

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
Hi Feva
If you still have time to have factory mods made before pick-up, I would ABSOLUTELY go a tri-fold table.
By far the best factory-mod (of at least a dozen inc shelves, spring mattresses, extra 240&12V ppoints, aerial, bayonet, ext shower, etc etc) we had done.
We enjoy the extra space every day. With three kids it can get quite cosy; the trifold means no shuffling in and out; easy to get up & walk out; folds out really easily for inside meals/board games etc. & the storage shelf underneath is great for toddlers & kids to be able to help themselves to their toys & books.
Still plenty enough room on it for plate of biccies & 1/2 dozen coffee mugs/wine glasses, or kids to do their thing (as per photo), but gives lots of extra standing room & makes van feel so much more spacious.
Jayco's version (disappointingly, bc we didnt know until pickup) is, tho strong enough, very flimsy compared to some of the other brands we saw that gave us the idea. We use an old dip container (a highly technical mod to the mod!) under the leg when it's folded up bc it's heaps easier than adjusting the telescopic stand each time.. Makes it a 10second process instead of 2 minutes of fiddling.
This aside, we love it.
Not 100% sure on price but from memory was either $99 or $125 extra? Well worth it even if a stack more, IMHO.
will try & post a pic or two..
All the best with the new van.. Hope you love it as much as we love ours! image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 440
Reactions: Ch00ka77

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
We have a Starcraft 19'6 Outback and also have the trifold table (ours was done for free as were all our additions) and have found it to be excellent. Just remember it is to travel not folded up. I also had extra 12v plugs put in. 1 outside under the awning and also under the table. Definitely the fold down picnic table outside and also gas bayonet which was standard on ours. This time we didn't get a curtain across the bed as we had one in our Sterling but think I should have got one this time. It is not something we used all the time but was handy when we did use it. We have only been away 2 weekends so far so I am not quite sure how much I miss it yet. Maybe I can get Jayco to install one down the track.

Reactions: Ren77

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
We ..also have the trifold table (ours was done for free as were all our additions) and have found it to be excellent. Just remember it is to travel not folded up.
Hi Joanne
Our tri-fold is rarely extended (games & meals on rainy or windy days usually the only reason it comes out), and we've spent the last couple of years travelling with ours folded up all the time bc no one told us otherwise.

I would've thought it'd put far more pressure on the hinges to travel 'out'.. what's the reason you were given??

S&P

Oct 7, 2013
Yarra Valley
www.sefiiraforge.com.au
Most factory additions can be done after you take delivery anyway, the one that can't really would be the extended A-Frame. We've ordered this on our new 16.49-3 and are thankful for the initial stuff up if only for that! Well worth the extra $ in my opinion.
Cheers, S&P

Joanne

Dec 10, 2013
Adelaide
Hi Joanne
Our tri-fold is rarely extended (games & meals on rainy or windy days usually the only reason it comes out), and we've spent the last couple of years travelling with ours folded up all the time bc no one told us otherwise.

I would've thought it'd put far more pressure on the hinges to travel 'out'.. what's the reason you were given??

We were told at handover not to travel with it folded up so took it as that.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Just a note - you want to get as many factory upgrades as possible as the weight will be taken into account on your compliance plate.

Stuff you add after you take delivery eats into your available weight payload.

img_1456-jpg.jpg

img_1426-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: The Wadamses

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
We were told at handover not to travel with it folded up so took it as that.
fixed that many from ppl travelling with them folded out, that i would have to disagree with this, folded up there is no load on the hinges if the leg is adjusted right, hinges are screwed into something jayco call solid timber ..... but is still pretty fragile stuff.

Reactions: Dede and Ren77

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
If planning on travelling with little people, would highly recommend having Jayco move the battery, hot water switch & control panel etc all up & away from little fingers (& big feet, incidentally!)
We had ours shifted to small area of 'kitchen wall' underneath microwave @ factory time. Well, well worth the time to stipulate the mod; no extra $ to change it.
Reading the efforts many here on the forum have gone to in order to address the issue post-pickup, am very grateful we did this (having learned of the hassle in our previous Swan..).
Also makes it really easy to flick a switch while active in the kitchen for a quick roadside stop without having to bend over (bc we're all about easy!!) :rockon:

Reactions: Simon

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Well, well worth the time to stipulate the mod; no extra $ to change it.

We were very particular & asked for ours to be in a smiler location prior to and again at final order confirmation - even supplied a pic & diagram, but the van arrived with them in the default location - spoke to dealer - they would not move them or do "anything" about it.

Have since found the laminate panel samples at the local hardware that match and will move them myself.

ROnEM