white Knuckles 16.49.2 OB and adventures

Oct 22, 2013
Mount Cotton QLD
We picked up our Expanda back in October and it has taken me a while to finally get around to adding it on here. We purchased it down in Melbourne privately from some one of this forum ( although at the time I did not know this). We had planned to go to Sydney from Brisbane anyway for Monster Jam and had just previously sold our 2000 Jayco hawk outback ( to small and did not suit quick stop overs).
photo 1.JPG

This is straight after pick up between hail storms so needless to say we exited Melbourne Quickly.
photo 2.JPG

Our first night in the trailer was a car park in a little town just down from the pub on a side road off the Hume in NSW.

Currently The van has all of the standard out back inclusions and it came to us with
  • external shower and shower tent ( tigers 11 awning with annex walls)
  • annex ( have not used)
  • internal gas heating
  • Hot water system
  • 100 watt solar panel (fixed)
  • 12 volt pump
  • 12 volt TV
  • 150 ltr fridge ( I think)
  • micro wave
  • trigg hitch
  • dual water tanks
  • dual gas but only one plumbed
  • AC
New Mods
  • stone stomper
  • bike rack
  • western digital live media player run on 12 volts ( tv plays limited files)
Wish list
  • Move the spare
  • look into matching wheel size with prado
  • maybe add 2 jerry can holders or extra tank ( free camping is high on our list we can go 4 days with showers currently
  • bits and pieces
  • 12 volt fans
  • enjoy

Oct 22, 2013
Mount Cotton QLD
Here is some photos of our bike rack, we have 3 children and the bikes usually come every where , I wanted some thing that was quick and easy for touring, I handed over my van to my father and his work shop with basic ideas and this is how it worked out and works well.
DSC_0022 (Large).JPG
DSC_0023 (Large).JPG
DSC_0029 (Large).JPG DSC_0028 (Large).JPG DSC_0027 (Large).JPG DSC_0026 (Large).JPG DSC_0025 (Large).JPG DSC_0024 (Large).JPG

Oct 22, 2013
Mount Cotton QLD
Our first real shake down trip was Flanagan's reserve just outside Rathdowney http://www.flanaganreserve.com.au/ we stayed 3 nights and took our Puppy Peppa. It was helpful to work out what we had/ needed and forgot :). the creek was great and kept the kids occupied fishing, swimming and kayaking. The camp ground was nice but a bit dusty and luckily we got a nice position close to the swimming whole. At night be careful with your food because the possums are every where and very game.
DSC_0039 (Large).JPG DSC_0043 (Large).JPG DSC_0276 (Large).JPG DSC_0276 (Large).JPG DSC_0421 (Large).JPG

Oct 22, 2013
Mount Cotton QLD
Some photos of our stone stomper install, they were great to deal with and it works well. I am not very mechanically minded or handy and I was able to install it with out hassle.
photo (Large) (2).JPG photo 1 (Large).JPG photo 4 (Large).JPG

Oct 22, 2013
Mount Cotton QLD
And lastly for now sorry for the over load was our Trip to Northern NSW. Our first destination was Paddy's flat a free camp on the Clarence river. It was very spacious and we had the place to our self most of the time. The River was low but still deep enough for a good swim and could kayak the 300-400m section. Getting there involved a mildly corrugated road with some steepish hills which sore the prado's automatic transmission over heating light come on for the first time ever. The place its self was an easy drive in and extra clearance helped but was not necessary. There was some massive goanna's and a resident red belly black that would swim backwards and forwards across the river daily. The trip out along the dirt road was wet and patches of clay made for a slippery exit.
DSC_0104 (Large).JPG DSC_0119 (Large).JPG DSC_0129 (Large).JPG DSC_0161 (Large).JPG DSC_0165 (Large).JPG DSC_0168 (Large).JPG DSC_0079 (Large).JPG DSC_0085 (Large).JPG
From here we moved onto Black rock National park which is just south of Evans head, it had drop toilets and we were located just behind the dunes which gave good protection from the wind. The Kids loved the surf and we would have a swim in Jerusalem creek everyday.
DSC_0234 (Large).JPG DSC_0235 (Large).JPG DSC_0237 (Large).JPG
Other places I would like to go is Pebble beach also down in Northern NSW but it involves driving along the beach and a tidal creek crossing only suitable on low tide ( might need to have another vehicle come along) and Double island point and again I have yet to tow this on the beach so am a little hesitant. Has anybody towed the 16 foot along the beach, weight will be our issue so empty water tanks would help but need them full :(.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Looks like a great setup for you there mate! The pics were great too thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Aussiecris

Jun 11, 2012
Umina Beach
Absolutely love it, Rare find a 16.49-2 with a hot water service
I've got plans to set up our next van similar to yours
I took my son to Monster Jam as well, Great night

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Our first real shake down trip was Flanagan's reserve just outside Rathdowney http://www.flanaganreserve.com.au/ we stayed 3 nights and took our Puppy Peppa. It was helpful to work out what we had/ needed and forgot :). the creek was great and kept the kids occupied fishing, swimming and kayaking. The camp ground was nice but a bit dusty and luckily we got a nice position close to the swimming whole. At night be careful with your food because the possums are every where and very game.
View attachment 19349 View attachment 19350 View attachment 19351 View attachment 19351 View attachment 19352
Puppy Peppa wouldn't happen to be a 'retired greyhound' would he/she?

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
Thought she looked familiar. We have 2 girls of our own, now 9 (had her for 6 years) and 5 (had her for 3 1/2 years). We have also fostered / babysat greys for the Greyhound Adoption Program for the past 7 years.
2011 June. Mouse, Poppy & Annie 155.JPG My girls are the dogs touching noses. The centre girl was a foster, waiting for someone to adopt her permanently.

Reactions: White knuckles