Which LED Lights to replace?

Johnstons

Aug 10, 2012
Anywhere in the great outdoors
Hi I have been reading alot of threads on here about replacing the existing lights with LED's. We are wanting to replace ours in our 16-49.1 Expanda.
Can I just ask if these are the right ones to order before I get them sent from the other side of the world? Hope these photos work as i haven't uploaded on here before.

36's for the mains, 12 for the bedends, 48 for outside and the mr16 for above the stove.

led light 12.jpg
led lights 48.jpg
led lights mr16.jpg
led lights1.jpg
led lights2.jpg

Cheers

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Yep..........that's them.
Although I have put 2 x 36 in the outside light and 36 in every light inside.

Just gotta do the rangehood, forgot about that one..

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yes.
Your selection of LEDs is good.

The only thing I did differently was put 2 x 48smd led panels in the exterior light. They just fit. I think the brighter the better.

The one thing you must do when installing them is put a bit of silicon on them to make them hold as the double sided tape eventually gives away.

So plug them in, peel the double sided tape cover off, smear some silicon onto the surface then stick onto the roof.

The adhesive tape will hold until the silicon dries and then you wont have the initial problem of all the lights falling off.

Apart from that, they`re fantastic lights.

Enjoy

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
anyone used the 5050 36 LED Panels. 5050 apparently means 5.0mmx5.0mm and supposedly brighter. just ordered a cool and warm white 36 led panel to have a look at. wont get them till mid september though.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
The external light in the new van has 7 x 5050 LEDs fitted out of the factory and they are the cool white. It is OK from a light perspective, but I would be happier with a brighter light.

I would hate to think how much light a set of 2 x 36 5050s or 2 x 48s would give off - might need to wear sunglasses at night! :cool:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I put the 2x48 led panels in our annexe light on the 16' and noticed after a while they came off. When I took lens off I discovered that the double sided tape had bubbled and discoloured from the heat and fried one led. I stuck them back on with strips of double sided tape about 12mm wide each end so left a gap under the panels for better air circulation and seemed to be fine. I also did the same inside with the 36's.

Cheers.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
thanks colin,
any reason you didn't throw 36's in the main interior lights, do you reckon they would be overkill. did you try warm white?

Hi holden_man,

Still waiting on the interior lights to turn up so not sure how good they will be. I ordered these as i currently have led's which only have 12 led's in them which i don't find to bad, but i am hoping to get just a little bit more light out of the 24's. i have also installed other led strips around the table, cupboard area and sink so i think the 24's will be fine.
Just depends how much light you want or need. E.g. my outside light 48 led's is heaps brighter than the standard light and just the right amount of light to sit out side with. my opinion only.

Cheers.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Anyone got any opinions on white vs warm white? I was all set to get the white 48 5050 for inside but the wife is keen for warm white. Any reflections from those of you who have installed?

Also, My outside light came with LED but is not particularly bright. It is a different light fitting to the rest. Has anyone put brighter LEDs in this fitting?

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
I personally prefer white light. It may be the photographer in me but I hat the colour cast caused by the warm lights.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Relgate, 1 put 48's in the annexe light but you have to strip out the original and cut/solder wires. I'm going to try the G4 base LEDs on the links I sent you and see how they go this time....no mods necessary just plug in!

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hiya Relgate.

I`ve put 2 x 48 smd panels in my outside light. They`re like a spot light but only use half an amp per hour. They`re great for when you're out in the wilderness and need good lighting atmosphere.

I`ve also chosen to go with cool white lights and I have 36smd globes installed inside, also chose 12 smd panels in the bed lamps, but may even knock them down to 4smd`s as I only use them to get up for a toilet break in the middle of the night. The 12smd`s are still a little too bright and wake the other half up.

I find the cool white give a better light than the warm white. Just my personal opinion.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I was wondering what suppliers people are using to get there leds from?

Thanks
Found the guys at Bright Light Auto Parts really good. They've got most of their stuff on display at their place in Ferntree Gully, if you could drag yourself away from the Yarra Valley. Google them and check their website. (Don't let the green colour put you off!). Ebay of course – with o/seas prices experimenting is not that painfull. I've been playing with different LED's for a few years and will post pics of expanda lights tomorrow.