16' Series What bags?

theturnerclan

Sep 23, 2011
Toowoomba, QLD
Hey folks,

I am looking at adding airbags to our 150 series Prado GXL. We have a 16'49.1 OB and use a HR WDH. Without going out buying new Springs, I am opting for bags first up to help the rear end until I get around to sucking up to the Minister for Home Finance.

What brands are people using and what supplier. I am locatd in Toowoomba, QLD.

Choices I have are:

1: Pedders

2: Polyair

3: Firestone

I have four days to get this sorted. Yeah i know short notice, but I am using some extra leave.

Cheers

Rick

PMK

Jul 25, 2011
Sunbury Victoria
G'Day Rick,

I have had both the Polyaire in a Pajero & Firestone in my current Patrol ...... Both have been faultless & wouldn't be without them. Although the Patrol also has a HD 50 mm lift & doesn't really notice the weight of the Expanda on the hitch.

My past experiences with Pedders service has not been very good........... But I have never tried there airbag so I can't comment on that.

Cheers

Paul

Reactions: theturnerclan

Jim and Tab

Jul 29, 2011
Bendigo Victoria
when we picked up our expanda the rear of the pajero sank about 2 inches.
we bought a set of heavy duty rear coils from pedders now rear sits around 20 mil higher but dosnt sag when van is on.
also drives so much better it used to feel like there was no shockers in the back really bouncy when the van was on but now smooth sailing
cheers jim and tab

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Either polyaire or Firestone but don't worry with Pedders. Personally I would just fit springs, they will be cheaper than the airbags as well and do a better job. So far the airbags in my vechile have been a waste of $250 I just run 150kg variable rate springs and no WDH.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I have Polyairs both in my current Territory and my previous NP Pajero. The Paj also had a 50mm lift.
Bought them off Ebay.

Haven't had an issue with them in either car

theturnerclan

Sep 23, 2011
Toowoomba, QLD
That's an option that I hadn't thought of. I have been involved with FWDs for around 25 years and have always done all four corners and shocks as well. But doing just the springs at the rear is a viable option for towing. This is the first of a long of FWDs that haven't been mutated in some way. This is the Minister's car and I have been told "NOT THIS ONE, ALRIGHT".

A huge thanks to all who have replied. The exact info was given by you all. Merry Christmas. Now all I have to do is get from SEQLD to SA without getting caught by floods.

when we picked up our expanda the rear of the pajero sank about 2 inches.
we bought a set of heavy duty rear coils from pedders now rear sits around 20 mil higher but dosnt sag when van is on.
also drives so much better it used to feel like there was no shockers in the back really bouncy when the van was on but now smooth sailing
cheers jim and tab

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
I think you will find the Pedders airbags are Firestone. We got ours from Pedders and although branded in Pedders package they are Firestone. We where going to do the spring thing, but we did the Patrol and with the heavy springs i rode like crap without load. With the Pathy we didnt want to go down the same route so we went the bags. I wouldn't be without them. If rides better with the 16 49 on the back with out the bounce and in conjunction with the WDH with tows great. So for me I would go the bags and WDH and when not towing you have the great factory ride quality... With that said I have the bags pumped a little in the rear when not towing as it goves a less sloppy ride that the Pathy's feel sometimes but remains comfortable. Hope this helps

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I have polyair on my Rodeo and no wdh and it was great.
Now on the colorado I did put some polyair on then removed them when I go Old Man Emu suspension fitted and now wont be putting the polyair back on as it doesn't need them

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
staurtcarr,what towing package do you have on your 'pathy'? what type of fuel economy do you get towing? i ran nissan tow package (d40 modified braket system) and towing we get 12.7 around town and 10.8 highway.

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Pace,

Can you tell me more about the d40 system. Have not heard of it, but would like to get something better for my Pathfinder. Am thinking through all current options as fuel economy was not the greatest on our last trip and would like to try anything to improve it.

Richard

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I Have polys on the Pathy. Installed originally with the standard suspension and retained when new suspension installed with a lift. I'll always recommend airbags it as the first option.

If/when looking at new suspension, some will have a 'constant load' rating. Although it won't change the GVM of your vehicle, it does mean it handles extra load in the back better (ie towball download), but is much 'harder' or stiffer when unloaded or not towing. Standard rated suspension will still have the same softness for comfortable driving around town, but will still sag under load. (whether lifted or not) Some models will also be adjustable, so you can have standard and adjust up for load. (although a few use the term adjustable loosely)
Likewise, having airbags inflated when not needed will result in a much stiffer ride, and less articulation if off-roading.

theturnerclan

Sep 23, 2011
Toowoomba, QLD
The problem with the 150 Prado as was with our 120 prado, is the washy spring rate, the nose dives under brakes and the back rides like a Sydney harbour ferry during a swell. When we went to OME on the 120 the world seemed at one with nature. May be looking at ironman on all four corners and then evaluate the bags from the there. Bloody vans and cars.

Rick

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I'm running Firestones under the rear of the Cruiser, I have put a hole in one but that was 4wdriving and just unlucky I guess yet they have done in excess of 70k and nearly half of that towing.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Pace,

Can you tell me more about the d40 system. Have not heard of it, but would like to get something better for my Pathfinder. Am thinking through all current options as fuel economy was not the greatest on our last trip and would like to try anything to improve it.

Richard
d40's run an adaptor plate up the back from the base of the 50 tube to the top plate cross bar. since nissan done the recall on the tow bars (you'll know this by quoting your VIN to any nissan dealer), they should've fitted a top plate which then the bolts go through over the cross beam between the chassis rails(look into some pathfinder forum,you'll soon see why people do this or go hayman reece setup!!). what i've done is gone to a welder and had it all welded together (whilst the whole cross beam and bar removed from the car),just like the d40 tow bars. havent gone as far as including the 45degree spreader bars either side if the hitch to the cross beam though. food for thought.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
staurtcarr,what towing package do you have on your 'pathy'? what type of fuel economy do you get towing? i ran nissan tow package (d40 modified braket system) and towing we get 12.7 around town and 10.8 highway.

We have a Heyman Reece towbar due to the Nissan bar not allowing WDH and the Heyman Reece WHD. 550 i think rings a bell. I think there is a 700 or similar for the bigger vans...
We are getting around similar fuel consumption to that. Ours is an auto though and the series 4 which are suppose to be better on fuel...

Hope that helps

theturnerclan

Sep 23, 2011
Toowoomba, QLD
Hey CD, how do the bags perform while 4WDing? Do they restrict the compression of the springs or reduce articulation of the rear axle? Have been talked into a set of Polyairs from TJM here in Toowoomba. national TJM network with parts and warranty. Can't argue with that.

Rick

I'm running Firestones under the rear of the Cruiser, I have put a hole in one but that was 4wdriving and just unlucky I guess yet they have done in excess of 70k and nearly half of that towing.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
The idea of the bags is push the suspension out, so when when 4wding you won't get the same suspension play - you might only get 50mm movement, rather than 120mm (for instance). With less articulation, the going will be harder. Always deflate them first (I learnt the hard way)

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Though i would join in as I am having nightmares at present deciding whether to get airbags ( I already have a lift on the Patrol)or whether to just go a WDH or Both. My next dilema is what to do with the challenger as we will be using this for the majority of smaller trips. Is the WDH transferrable between cars? if so it will be much cheaper than a lift and bags on the challenger as well as bags on the Patrol, And there I was when I started looking at vans thinking you just hoked up and drove away.