16' Series What bags?

theturnerclan

Sep 23, 2011
Toowoomba, QLD
Yep, you would think that drive in, hook up and drive away. I had a 2007 Hilux SR5 FWD and with the genuine towbar and standard suspension, that's all I had to do. Perfect height and load carrying ability. No WDH, No Bags. Then as we all do, upgrade. The door's open now with the Prado. To swap from vehicle to vehicle and providing the hitch slides into the towbar, should be all good. The only thing to watch for is the need to adjust the towball angle or selected holes for the different vehicles.

The Hilux sat perfect
step 5.JPG

the Prado without WDH or airbags sitting about 85mm lower at the back.
step 8.JPG

Though i would join in as I am having nightmares at present deciding whether to get airbags ( I already have a lift on the Patrol)or whether to just go a WDH or Both. My next dilema is what to do with the challenger as we will be using this for the majority of smaller trips. Is the WDH transferrable between cars? if so it will be much cheaper than a lift and bags on the challenger as well as bags on the Patrol, And there I was when I started looking at vans thinking you just hoked up and drove away.

Reactions: randl007

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Hey CD, how do the bags perform while 4WDing? Do they restrict the compression of the springs or reduce articulation of the rear axle? Have been talked into a set of Polyairs from TJM here in Toowoomba. national TJM network with parts and warranty. Can't argue with that.

Rick
G'day Rick
I drop the airbag pressure to around 7psi when 4wdriving you can go to 5psi. As SD mentioned its best to lower the psi in the bags but dont totally deflate them as a little air in them keeps them in place. My Cruiser has a 50mm lift so I run spacers with the bags to make up the differnce with the lift.

I have experimented with different towing pressure in the bags and 22psi works well for my set up, its amazing how even 2 psi can make a difference with the way it tows and handles a little less pressure works better then to much.
A nationwide dealer network through TJM sounds good. Another thing to make sure of is the airlines for the bags are well isulated and securely mounted so they cant rub through, I have run my airlines inside flexible electical condute :thumb:

Here is a pic of the Cruiser at Arkaroola with around 10psi in the bags
352.jpg
Found 1 more this was not to far from home :smile: (again 10psi)
535.jpg

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Air bags and suspension are separate from WDHs. Do not substitute bags or suspension for a WDH or vise versa.

WDH is to transfer the weight to the front wheels. If your vehicle is designed to tow with a WDH it should always be used regardless of suspension setup. This provides the correct setup front to back, and also lessens the weight on the rear axle and tyres (check your limits)

However, that load is still distributed across both axles, the vehicle sits lower, and the suspension performance is reduced - the suspension might start to bang the bump stops over bumps or potholes, or just start that soft rocking back and forth when you stop or start, etc. Suspension is there to make the ride smooth not to take load per se. However, as mentioned earlier, there are packages available which enable extra load on the axle also, so it starts getting confusing.... But, any suspension will sag with any load, regardless of type, size, lift or capacity.

Airbags are designed to work with the suspension. The idea is measure the ride height before loading the vehicle (either contents or van). Load and then measure again, on both sides. No the fun bit.... Unload and fill the bag with air, reload, and measure. Unload and add or reduce the air, reload and measure. Keep doing so until the original ride height is reached. Then the suspension will work as designed, there will be less body roll, etc.
As it is measured on both sides, and your usually have two separate values, you can adjust to get an even ride - eg one side of the vehicle you have a fridge which is fully loaded, on the other are some sleeping bags. Naturally the fridge is heavier and will make that side sag lower than the other, affecting your handling, tyre wear and then van sway since you'll keep correcting. Ultimately, the airbags could end up with 35psi under the fridge side, and 20 under the light side to get that balance required.

As the bags work with the suspension, if your suspension has gotten on a bit and already has a permanent sag, the air bags start taking more of the load than they should and the ride will be worse, so you need to make sure the suspension setup is still in good condition. Don't spend on bags thinking that will fix your problems, if the old coils and shocks aren't as good anymore.

In regards to the Hilux vs Prado, please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Hilux has rear leaf suspension designed to take 800kg or so in the tray (over the rear axle) and the Prado has a lesser load so a different setup with the coils and shocks. You should always get more of drop in a passenger vehicle than a ute.

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Thats great straydingo it makes it alot clearer ( i better start saving) the other thing is if you are loading and unloading so much when do you get time to go away LOL :)

theturnerclan

Sep 23, 2011
Toowoomba, QLD
The age of the car is all good, only 14 monhs old and has only towed the van for about a total of 2000kms. I have been away from the family for around 9 months this year so no camping has occurred. Comments about the Hilux was only to amplify Randl007 post regarding drive in and drive out combinations. I remember my family towing a 23 foot Viscount with a 1967 Pontiac with no bags, no WDH and just going. Times have changed. Always intended to use WDH with airbags and suspension. Got a grip on the concept of load spreading over the vehicle. It's good to see the valuable input that comes from a sea of knowledge and experience in this forum.

CD, You are a lucky man to be able to get out and enjoy your life the way you do. Nice articulation and and thanks for going all the way out to Arkaroola just to take a photo to put on here for me. LOL.

Thanks all and maybe one day paths may cross.

Happy holidays

Rick

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I have a setup like Cruza in my Patrol. Aftermarket suspension and polyair airbags.

Haven't found a need for a WDH as everythings sits nice and level and the steering feels fine. Normally run 12psi in the bags when towing, 5psi when unladen.

In my old Colorado the steering was noticably different with the van on so i would have gone a WDH if we had kept that car.

theturnerclan

Sep 23, 2011
Toowoomba, QLD
Paul, I will get on to the thread and after a successfull polyair installation, the Minister, my two four year old girls and I, would be starters providing work (Army) doesn't get in the way.

Well the polyairs are in and took all of 2.5 hours from start to finish. Just need to get a bracket to mount the valves next to the 12 pin socket, but other than that, perfect. Run conduit the length of the hoses and all seems to be clear of any edges. Time will tell though. What a vast improvement on ride and handling. can't wait for the tow test..

Will be towing a 7x4 trailer and my 200kg motorcycle to Adelaide next week, so that will be a good starter for any gremlins. So in summary, got all the help from you all, $320.00 for the bags, 2.5 hours of my time and bingo. Jobs done.

Thanks

Rick

G'day Rick,

Maybe you can make our weekend at Sommerset Dam. Not too far from Toowoomba.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/showthread.php/584-SE-Qld-Meet
Regards

Paul