16' Series Weight distribution systems

Glenn Dove

Oct 22, 2014
Gippsland
Hi guys,

Have trolled through a lot of threads but haven't really got the answers I need. Have recently purchased 16.49-1 OB Outback and pulling it with a 2001 3.0lt Nissan Patrol. We have an adjustable hitch, but are wondering if a WDS is needed. Empty, the van is 156kg ball weight, but we are yet to load it up properly. Any thoughts please.
Cheers Glenn

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Glen and welcome. I have a Nissan 2006 3.0l Navara and pull a 14' OB. We use a Hayman Reese WDH, have tried a local run without it but soon refitted it. The van had a tendency to bounce without it so it is a permanent fixture on the car. The only drawback I find is that, because the van tow hitch is mounted low, the adjustment of the hitch is right to the bottom and the van still tilts down at the rear. If I replace the hitch with a longer drop the hitch will just become a plough. My ball weight on the plate is 105Kg, when loaded it went to 213Kg so I swapped the spare to the rear which brought it down to 170 Kg. I recommend the WDH.

Reactions: Glenn Dove

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hiya Glen, welcome to the forum

Hi guys,
Have trolled through a lot of threads but haven't really got the answers I need. Have recently purchased 16.49-1 OB Outback and pulling it with a 2001 3.0lt Nissan Patrol. We have an adjustable hitch, but are wondering if a WDS is needed. Empty, the van is 156kg ball weight, but we are yet to load it up properly. Any thoughts please.
Cheers Glenn

I have a 1999 Patrol, and do not use a WDS (Weapon of Diminishing Satisfaction) - too much work involved with setting it up for me.....
plus the Patrol being 2.5t V's the Vans 1.8t - it sits nicely behind me
I have NEVER used one, so dont know if I am missing out on something or not...................
as @chartrock said, moving your spare tyre to the rear will help with lowering your ball weight

cheers

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I had a 2009 16.49.1OB which, for a while, i towed with 1998 GU Patrol. I since towed that van with 2 Navara D40s. I didnt find a WDH necessary, and Nissan recommend against using WDHs. Ive avoided the WDH through 3 vans of increasing weight ....... until

With the new 2.4t van i anticipated a ball weight around 200kg, so bought a Reece V5 WDH ... just in case. Didnt get around to fitting it before i picked up the van last week. Took the van for drag down the freeway. No WDH, all good, as i suspected. But the ball weight is plated at 145kg

Decided to fit the damned expensive V5, just because id paid so much for ..... and against Nissans advice, and my own dismissal of them, it does take that lurching out of the ride. My advice is you dont need it, but it may make the ride a touch smoother.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
That's a great post @Crusty181. I don't have a WDH, and feel comfortable towing without it. But I do wonder what improvement it will make. It's a sizeable investment only to find it doesn't really make a difference. I'm basically keeping an eye on the second hand market and hope that I can pick one up on the cheap then if it helps bonus! And if not we haven't done too much dough.

Reactions: Crusty181

Gruntawat

Sep 21, 2013
Banora point
Hi there have a 16.49-1 OB tow with hilux would not leave home without there is no comparison when it comes to ride quality has to be set up right

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Same as others have said above..... We used a WDH on the previous van 16.49.3 non OB behind the 100 series. Didn't need it to level the car/van and ried it with and without and it definitely improved the ride quality.

Not sure if it was imagination or not but it also felt like an improvement with braking quality?

Would definitely have added it to the current van but cannot fit it (Without modifications) with the Trigg Hitch.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hmm... That'd be even more $$$ wouldn't it? I don't want to sound cheap or gambling with safety, but there has to be a tangible benefit to warrant an outlay.
of corse my bit with out the hitch I look over the bonnet with 25 psi in my bags towed good with hitch on I look down the bonnet still 25psi in bags tows much better they really do distribute the weight my car measured without van or with is exactly the same I think there very good but didn't really need them but glad I got them my 2 pounds 10

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I know the airbags made a massive difference, very glad I fit them. No sag and the Paj sits nice and square and level with them and HD springs.

Hence I wonder what the WDH would bring. ESC is a different kettle of fish though.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I know the airbags made a massive difference, very glad I fit them. No sag and the Paj sits nice and square and level with them and HD springs.

Hence I wonder what the WDH would bring. ESC is a different kettle of fish though.
to me puts pressure back on to the frount wheels and wheels of van wouldn't tow without the wdh now if ur towing something heavy of corse if I leave bars on put back legs of van down then unhook hitch legs come up ??? 2 , 3 inches , when u hook them up u can see it lift forcing weight to frount and back

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Hmm... That'd be even more $$$ wouldn't it? I don't want to sound cheap or gambling with safety, but there has to be a tangible benefit to warrant an outlay.

I dont believe you are "Gambling with safety" - its what you feel comfortable with
yes I do believe it is more expensive, not sure how much, never asked @dagree for his cost as an idea on what I would be up for

but like @dagree I have the Trigg hitch, so the mods to make the WDH fit, and then take them off if going off road......
it would be easier to get the ESC fitted........

but I have not had a problem as yet, and hopefully wont, so Im happy not to get either
I do however already have the air bags in the rear of my car to help level, and I try to pack any weight in the Van over the axle

so far
so good................

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
One thing to remember is that WDH and ESC do different things!!!!!!!
In layman's terms (So I can understand it LOL)... The WDH System, if setup correctly, assists to level the vehicle and van. In doing so it transfers weight to the front wheels which assists with reducing light steering and improves braking. As mentioned previously it also helps reduce and sometimes eliminate the "pitching" (Bouncing up and down).

The ESC works in the opposite direction....... When it picks up on a sideways momentum AKA "Swaying or sudden swerve" it applies the vans brakes and hopefully pulls the van back into a straight line. Exactly the same as hitting the PANIC button on your brake controller if you get the chance to find it whilst fighting the steering wheel to keep the vehicle under control.

To eliminate the requirement for a WDH system I've fitted heavy duty suspension and airbags to the Prado, fitted an adjustable tow hitch and set the vehicle and van as level as possible without needing WDH bars. So far have found it to be just as good.

The ESC was fitted after Mrs Dagree was sent photo's of a friend's van and 200 series that were written off after getting a sway-up and they couldn't correct. I must admit even though only towing it 40 kms home after fitting the ESC I subconsciously felt more at ease towing it!!!!

OH and to answer the un-asked question @bigcol ...... It was $1,300 retrofitted. ~$900 if fitted during the build. Wiring is apparently factory installed now by Jayco so only a 2 week wait for supply and 2 hour fit.

Safety is NEVER a "Gamble"

Another thing to remember.... If going off road unplug the ESC as apparently sideways up and down movement can activate it!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney

I think ESC is an essential option. I my line of work I have been to quite a few serious caravan accidents, most often caused by the van getting out of control.

If I had my way it would be a compulsury fittment.

I have a 21-64 outback with 195kg on the ball behind a 100 series. No WDH, but I do have Polyair bags and it tows well

Last edited:

Glenn Dove

Oct 22, 2014
Gippsland
Well its seems the juries out in WDH's. Seeing we haven't done any mod's to the van yet and fully loaded it, looks like it will be trial and error. The Patrol seems to be stock standard, so might have to beef up the rear once the van is loaded.
Cheers and appreciate all the comments.

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@dagree we have the ESC, and this is the blurb

With the Al-Ko system, a pre-set amount of braking (around 40 per cent of maximum) is automatically applied when either one lateral movement of 0.4 g forces, or four in a row of at least 0.2g, is recorded.

Another American system, Dexter, is apparently gathering momentum. Unlike the ALKO, which applies all brakes at the preset rate at preset parameters, the Dexter senses all kinds if kinky stuff, applying one side braking only, by varying amounts etc and can sense offroad use and deactivate itself, reactivating when back on the blacktop ....... very cool. All at the same price as the ALKO ..... plus the steak knives of course

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Nissan technical explained WDHs to me, in relation to their cars (im blessed i know)

My partner says if i lost all the useless crap stored in my head, and kept only the important stuff, my head would still deflate like a 1998 new years balloon.

Now; he said the Navara (best car ever, thats why we use it in this example) is engineered to perform all functions such as braking, steering, carrying, towing, looking great etc ... all within its engineered and tested limitations without external unknown assistance, or forces not taken into account during the design/engineering of the car.

Anything thats added, but obviously not limited to just WDHs, such as raised suspension, loaded roof racks etc can have a dramatic and unknown effect on the cars designed and intented handling and performance dynamic. With the huge amount of force, including twisting, that the big hooowa Reece WDH can push through the entire length of the cars chassis from one point on the cars extremity to apply across to the entire length, i can see why Nissan are saying ...... me dont think so.

Its an extraordinary amount of potentially destructive power, applied in many different directions, that forces a 2.0t car to pivot large amount of weight and to force that weight down at the front of the car ...... almost 6mtrs away by twist the back of the car.

All this is happening when Nissan hasnt made a single step in applying any of it to the cars design, and with the added fun of a 3t van bouncing, pushing and pulling on the same focused point of pressure at the same time.

It does beg the question "whos right"? Nissan has no apparent vested interest, but Haymen Reece has a huge vested interest. Nissan arent non committal, they simply say, not on our cars. Hayman Reece say yeah, yeah ,yeah.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No WDH on my current rig, I have upgraded suspension on my Jeep with Old Man Emu gear and the van sits level and the Jeep drops less than 20mm, originally I found I could get a small bit of bucking sometimes now it's all tuned up and rides well, I couldn't fit a WDH anyway as I have a Trig hitch (not to be confused with a Tregg).
I really don't like WDH fitted to vehicles that don't have a proper chassis as it puts a hell of a lot of stress on the tow mounts and I have seen close up what happens when they pull out. The tow bar just rips away from the back of the vehicle.
I would really like a ESC on my rig and they should be mandatory I think.

@Crusty181 , Bahahahaha you crack me up...................