Water leak from middle of Hard lid hinge

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
@millers, interesting theory in regards to the hole. I like your idea about filling it with some foam. But would you really need to apply it across the entire length or just on each end to stop the water?

Reactions: millers

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
@Brad You may be right all the way across may be an over kill. I am planning to get the van out this weekend and use the hose to test the thoery. Then unfortunately I think I need to remove the lid to see what damage there is associated with the cracking. I have so foam from bunnings as a test piece so I can work out were to but it.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Just so you know, I had a leak also. I have seen other posts from other people with the same issue. In most cases they got Jayco to fix.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Hi all,
Completed the water test on the weekend and it is the side of the hinges that are the problem.

I also checked the cracks in the lids and they are on all corners, so more photos and an email to Jayco to see what can be done.

Jayco responded and asked me to take it to a local caravan place that is a service agent for jayco. Booked in for Nex Tuesday.

Will keep you posted.

Reactions: Burnsy

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
@Brad I believe so. Ran and squirted water along the hinge and no water on the canvas. Did the same thing on the corner and there was water on the canvas. This may be unique to tow height, cross-winds etc to force the water in. Noting that it took 10 hours of constant travelling in rain to get about 3/4 of a bucket.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Looks like Jayco may be on to this now or our dealership is onto it at least. We picked our van up on Friday and today checking the bed hinge noticed that they have now sealed it as @millers described.

image.jpg

BJ

benandjordansmum

Feb 8, 2012
Logan Village, Qld
Hi guys, we r away camping at Iluka for the week and hubby has headed home to work for the week. With all this rain, I have noticed the bed end leaking through the hard lard hinge onto the canvas and pooling quite heavily. Have Searched the forum for fixes and reread this link a few times but unsure where to put the silicone. Is anyone able to help with specifics...thanks in advance. Tracy

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Tracy, you need to put the sealer along the outside edge of the hinge on both halves, so where the hinge finishes and the fibreglass starts and along the entire length. To get you out of trouble when away you can use some duct tape after it is dry! Hope this helps :)

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
..lol still not sure where I am putting it, but the duct tape sounds like a good idea.

Thanks guys...duct tape it is! What removes the sticky residue of the duct tape without effecting the paint?
Try metho or wax and grease remover, just try on a small section first but should be fine.

Jdevents

Nov 28, 2015
Bathurst
Hi all just had same problem with 2015 17.56.2 OB went back under warranty i had already tried adding sealer didn't help. local dealer told me they are seeing a few come back they fixed it by injecting vasoline into the hinge with a syringe the full length of the hinge seems to of worked so far. In sydney last few days and poring rain and dry.

Reactions: bigcol