Water leak from middle of Hard lid hinge

Roosterman

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter Valley
Im glad it worked for ya, but gee, one would have thought Jayco would come up with a 1st world fix....I have a similar prob, but more like a drip.....I have a few fix's I could do, but am going to give Jayco a chance to sort the prob first....mine isn't a real world drama I guess.

Jan 16, 2016
Wollongong
Hi all just had same problem with 2015 17.56.2 OB went back under warranty i had already tried adding sealer didn't help. local dealer told me they are seeing a few come back they fixed it by injecting vasoline into the hinge with a syringe the full length of the hinge seems to of worked so far. In sydney last few days and poring rain and dry.
Hi jdevents,
Amazingly and astonishingly Jayco still have this issue regardless of the fact the original post was made 2 years ago. I have a 2015 20.64 OB and have the same issue. Simply put, the issue comes back to poor workmanship and lack of care and QA by Jayco.
The silicone was never applied properly and therefore the leaking issues followed. I have had many discussions and emails regarding the matter with both Jayco head office (Peter) and Jayco Nowra (Mark). All and sundry seem inept at rectifying consistently repetitious issues and fill our ears with lies and (quite frankly) bullshit.
With your specific 'fix up', it will be temporary as the Vaseline will eventually dry up and have you clambering for buckets and small containers soon enough.
When you finish your holiday and have the chance please do the following for a long term solution;
  • Grab a piece of timber to support your bed end lid whilst fully opened.
  • Disconnect the support struts for the lid at the base whilst in the open position.
  • Pop off one of the plastic end caps of the lid rail to allow the lid to slide off.
  • Slide the lid off in the direction of the removed end cap. This is a two person operation.
  • Mark with pencil the outline of the rail then place masking tape 5-10mm outside of that line the whole way round.
  • Unscrew and remove the rail. The rail is a two piece rail and may be partially stuck with some of the original shoddy silicone job.
  • It is absolutely imperative that you remove all remnants of Vaseline and silicone from your caravan and rail for the success of your repair. In doing so, please do not remove the masking tape.
  • Once satisfied that all surfaces are completely clean, apply a reasonable amount of white - kitchen grade - mould inhibitor silicone to the area within your masking tape. Enough so that the silicone will ooze out over the masking tape but not enough to go outside the masking tape parameters.
  • Refasten the rail. Keep multiple clean rags handy.
  • Once the rail is refastened, clean off the excess silicone with your finger ensuring you do it in a fashion that will leave a nice clean ¼ circle finish between the rail and masking tape. Wipe off excess silicone onto rags and maintain clean fingers.
  • Once all excess silicone is removed, remove the masking tape and, if possible, allow the silicone enough time to cure (24-48hrs)
  • When ready, place lid back onto rail and slide into position.
  • Re-attach the gas struts and hopefully - Happy days!

Before;

IMG_0590.JPG

After;

IMG_0693.JPG

Hopefully that has helped?

gleeso

Dec 15, 2015
Wollongong
Hi all, so some news for you all..
We livked our 16.49.3 up after xmas, went away for 3 weeks and had this problem happen to us. The day after our holiday we returned it to jayco with a long list of issues, its now over a month fown the track and today we finally picked the van up and they have found a solution, they have used a length of rubber across the top of the lid and when its opened it squashes the rubner forming a seal.. i
Will post photos in the morning, can guarentee you will take your vans back to jayco to get this fix.. time will tell if it works but they tell me they tested it. The reason the van was at jayco for over a month was that they had designed this fix and parts were on bacl order as it was being fitted to all new vans coming off the line

gleeso

Dec 15, 2015
Wollongong
Hey Gleeso,
Any chance of a pic with the lid closed to get better idea on how they have done it
Yes i will do it when we pack up tomorrow, looks to me like its stuck on with double sided tape/adhesive, doesnt seem to squash the rubber as much as i thought it would though and unsure if the adhesive fairs as it gets wet, dry, hot, cold and if it will continue to stick.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Very interested in this.

We found water pooling on our bed canvas, under the lids, on our 16,49.3 after a storm on Thursday night. Have noticed a bit before but this was significantly more so, if there's a solution, I'm interested.

Reactions: Vere

gleeso

Dec 15, 2015
Wollongong
Very interested in this.

We found water pooling on our bed canvas, under the lids, on our 16,49.3 after a storm on Thursday night. Have noticed a bit before but this was significantly more so, if there's a solution, I'm interested.
Was just thinking, if theyve fitted it to mine and are fitting it to all new vans coming off the line you would think, though itd be an absolutely unbelievable task that it would be a recall??? If theyve found a fault, then a solution then all vans should fitted with fix.
Had more rain tonight and so far so good, we had massive amounts coming in on iur last trip so its a vast improvement

Reactions: Delano

gleeso

Dec 15, 2015
Wollongong
@Vere heres a cpl of picswith the lid closed..
We will be calling jayco and taking van back again as it leaked again last night.. only a minimal amount compared to last time but still enough to wet my daughters bed..

Attachments

• 20160221_112849.jpg
    20160221_112849.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 287
  • 20160221_112822.jpg
    20160221_112822.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 376

Bossco

Aug 4, 2016
Redhead
@Vere heres a cpl of picswith the lid closed..
We will be calling jayco and taking van back again as it leaked again last night.. only a minimal amount compared to last time but still enough to wet my daughters bed..
Hey Glesso. What was Jaycos final fix for this?

Tonykarter15

Jan 23, 2015
Central Coast
I installed an aluminium U channel to the underside of the hinge (see picture). in the event of water leaking through the hinge, it runs down into the channel and out to the end. I experienced rain recently out at Wagga & Cowra which was on the verge of flooding and had no rain over run the channels.

It always going to have some sort of water penetrate through a hinge when the hard top forms a box gutter. Its what you do with the water when it happens that is most important.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.JPG
    IMG_1434.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 295
  • IMG_1436.JPG
    IMG_1436.JPG
    962.3 KB · Views: 289
Reactions: Gary Page

DWWood

Jun 26, 2016
Yarra Valley
Looking for a fix to this issue as our 2014 leaks at both ends although mostly at the front end.

Is it certain that the water is running from the lid back to the hinge or could it be running from the roof down to the hinge then leaking through that way, or both?

Reactions: dagree and Delano

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Looking for a fix to this issue as our 2014 leaks at both ends although mostly at the front end.

Is it certain that the water is running from the lid back to the hinge or could it be running from the roof down to the hinge then leaking through that way, or both?
I use a long occy strap and pull the lid down towards the front just before it touches the canvas (give the lid some forward angle) This seems to work well for us and it stops the water pooling on the lid and through the hinge.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think I would be removing hinge/lid and sealing the hinge fixture to van and lid with Sikaflex or similar, I'm assuming its a sail trak type hinge joint so a silicon bead in the track would seal/lube the moving part reasonably well I would think....I don't mean silicon as in silastic either, a silicon grease that doesn't set, run or melt, won't corrode but will keep water out of a moving joint.........if they have moved onto piano hinge then another plan required.

When I removed the back lid from the Tardis the sealing wasn't all that great and the lid needed just a bead of silastic along the corner of the lid to direct the water to where I wanted it to go.........

Reactions: dagree