Tyres - What does everyone run with on their tow vehicle?

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Hey Russell,

Are the Toyo's you like A/T or M/T.

The Maxxis must have changed somewhat in the last couple of years! one of my staff fitted a set of M/T's to his Hilux in 2009 & he didnt even get 20k out of them. They were awesome offroad but they wore terribly.

Hi there Big Gee the toyos are m/t and yes Maxxis have excelled on their r/d and its paying off

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
What a great thread, i love learning about this stuff!

I had BFG AT's om my last 3 cars all with OK wear (about 70K each). Now running the new Cooper AT3, only 5000km old, and so far very happy. They are no mud tyre off road, but a pretty good all rounder. Not quite as aggressive as the ST but a bit more chunky than the old ATR.

As BP says i always check my pressures, and rotate and align every 10k, it makes a huge difference.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Ok my turn, On my old Pathie I run 2 set of Coopers !st AT's the second ATR's both served me well with well of 90,000 on them, I destroyed 1 (onroad) and had 2 puntures (also onroad) so not a bad run with a mix of both on and offroad, and I'll confess I wasn't that good at looking after tyres.

Pajero from the Showroom I did a Dealer tyre swap from the standard Highway to All Terrains, so since new it's been wearing Bridgestone 694 AT's, They started to shoulder every early in the peace and started to became noisey ( but Pajero'a aren't know for their cabin noise insulation) turned out the wheel alignment was out from new though not evident in day to day driving but the damage was done, but with a 4 wheel, wheel alignment and regular rotation, they are just about to click over 90,000 k's I might squeeze another 3 or 4 thousand out of them they are just about stuffed. But never had a punture.

This week I have been sussing out the tyre seen, geezzzz louise I'm not use to buying 17's

borstalboy

Apr 17, 2012
Northern Subs SA
I have Maxxis Buckshot MT on my 03 Pajero.

So far I have 10000 on them and they still look like new.

Yes they are a bit noisy but that reminds me I am driving a 4wd and not a toy.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
:blabla:

Antman about your Herc tyres they are still available as we sell a few of em

cheers Russell

Hey BP

Thanks for that. I have come across the hercs online but not in a shop up here in Brissy. Im not sure though if i wanted to get those in replacement as I have read very mixed comments on them. I think from the research that I have done that there will always be someone that has something bad to say about every tyre. I think that the good tyres there is more than likely an underlying issue on their car. I know that my Prado when i bought it had very very bad tyre wear on all 4 tyres that were all worn badly on the outside edge and these were Cooper AT's. The mechanics kept telling me that it was my suspension so I spent nearly 2.5k upgrading the suspension and replaced the old worn out coopers the very next day. Come 5000kms later, the bad tyre wear began again but this time only on one corner which allowed me to find the underlying issue which was a wheel bearing.

BP have you ever heard of Evergreen ES89 tyres? They look ok to me but I'm an untrained eye, they do have a 10ply side wall. The tyre guy up here says that they balance very very well and he believes that you can generally tell the type of tyre by how they balance? They are a cheaper tyre at 179 fitted and balanced a corner.

I am trying to keep my costs down as we just purchased the van and I have done some other big mechanical maintenance items on the car so cash is tight.

Cheers
Ants

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Well Ants you found yourself an entry level tyre never fitted any to a 4bie not game as the passenger tyre makes you legal and thats about it
If you can spend a few extra dollars and fit up a better tyre then you know you wont have early hassles and out lay for more tyres within a year ...
just putting it out there for ya

Russell

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Well Ants you found yourself an entry level tyre never fitted any to a 4bie not game as the passenger tyre makes you legal and thats about it
If you can spend a few extra dollars and fit up a better tyre then you know you wont have early hassles and out lay for more tyres within a year ...
just putting it out there for ya

Russell

Thanks mate appreciate it. They state its 4wd All Terrain but if you are saying its not then thats good enough for me. :)
Cheers
Ants

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
german goodyear wrangler hp all around the truckster, had dunlup at20 at the front and michelin lattitude hp at the back before, michelin wear is better than the dunlops in my view, cheers.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
After buying the Pathie I bought a set of second hand mickys on rims. Loved them (but couldn't get a fifth for the spare for love or money at the time - ended up reluctantly on-selling them after a while)
Had a set of BFG - bought on their reputation. I HATED THEM. I don't know why I had so much trouble but they were crap on road, and worse off.
Ended up with Kuhmos for the rest of the time I had the Pathy. I was very happy with them overall both on and off road. (although most of the time for serious off road, I did have a second set of Maxxis Bighorms which would go on). The wear on the Kuhmos was a little high on the back axle, but I reckon that was the cos the way they tyre guy set them rather than the tyre - front was fine. Kuhmo have just brought out a new KL78 tyre, a little more aggressive than what I had

Now with the disco, the options are limited with the 19", but will probably head to the new Cooper Zeons which are getting good reviews.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Bit the bullet and decided to change tyres after only 28k. The factory fitted bridgestone's didn't give me much but I could probably get another 5k out of them, but in saying that my wife drives it like a car....re educating is difficult! I was persuaded by the fact that we're driving to Vic next week and coming back with the van. Anyway after some research I've decided on Yokahama GO12 @ $319ea....hopefully will give me allot more than 30k. I actually thought the 17" tyres would be dearer!

Cheers.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
New tyres
image.jpg
Great thread all. Thanks for recommendations.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I run BFG AT's on all my cars and work vehicles using a light truck casing (LT) for stiffer sidewalls. Never had any troubles what so ever! Have used Mickey Thompson MTZ's love them too!!

Hi Bigman what rims do you have on the 200? 17s or 18s?