Tyres - What does everyone run with on their tow vehicle?

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hi All

Im in the process of looking for new tyres for my tow vehicle. Im currently running with a brand called Merit, model All Country - just a cheap ($150 per tyre) Chinese import that was originally put on the car as a stop gap. In saying that, these tyres have done 106,000 kms, have not failed me in anyway and I have been extremely happy with them however I can not find them any longer to purchase.

So, what tyres is everyone running with and how have you found them? :decision:

Looking forward to your thoughts :peace:

Ants

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
I havae a set of Mickey Thomson 4 rib ATR's and they are great, before that i have Cooper St, they were good in the bush but a little loose on a wet road, it depends what you application is, for us we want a good ATR as we do a fair bit of off road.
Cheers

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Pirelli Scorpions. Done 37,000km so far, still plenty of tread. Not designed as a heavy off road tyre but a reasonable all rounder. $250/ tyre

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Im running TOYO M/T 315/75r16 a true muddy which is great on the highway as well as the dirt/mud and yes they get noisey as they wear down ,previous set gave me 73000 k ....

D4Dazz

Dec 31, 2011
Rowville, VIC
I'm running Cooper ST's on the Challenger which have really good. Agree the can get a little loose in the wet when in 2wd, however I generally drive in all whel drive in the wet and have been extremely happy with them. They have done 60k and the wear is nice and even and I reckon have at least another 15 to 20k in them. Which for an aggressive AT is pretty good. Not cheap but a great tyre. I have also run STT's on one of my Prado's and they where sensational off road. One another one of my Prado's I ran Micky T MTZ, very similar to the Cooper STT'S and another awesome tyre....a little harder compound a touch noisier but ...... Turn the radio up. I also have run BFG All Terrains on the same Prado and was happy with them, but BFG have never been the same since Michelin bought them out and moved manufacturing to, I Malaysia.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
but BFG have never been the same since Michelin bought them out and moved manufacturing to, I Malaysia

my BFG's have "made in USA" stamped on them? I have heard this said before about their tyres! I wonder if they come in from the USA & a cheaper version from Asia as well?

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I dont have any problems with my Cooper ST Maxx's, actually very happy with them in the wet, a little noisy perhaps but like Dazz says turn up the Radio and my radio is pretty loud !

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hang on a minute did I read that right 106 000kms out of a set of "Cheap Stop gap tyres" that is fantastic I'd be trying to hunt another set of those down for sure, I'm struggling to get 100 000 out of a car far less a set of tyres,

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey CG

Yes you read that right, 106,000km. I am blown away by the kms and still have 4mm of tread that is not slipping in the wet. Mostly I have done on road driving as my prado is my daily driver. We have also done touring in outback QLD and weekend 4wding.

I have tried to find these tyres but just can't anywhere. I believe that American Hercules purchased them but these are made in a different country so I don't think that they would be entirely the same. :frusty:

I have done some research on the herc's as well and people don't rate them so another reason to not go down that path oh and also the hercs have been discontinued.

So on the hunt. :peep:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
my BFG's have "made in USA" stamped on them? I have heard this said before about their tyres! I wonder if they come in from the USA & a cheaper version from Asia as well?

I had BFG's made in the USA on my old Isuzu Mu which did 96,000, replaced them with another set BFG's stamped made in Malaysia which only did around 45,000. Wont go near them again.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
I had BFG's made in the USA on my old Isuzu Mu which did 96,000, replaced them with another set BFG's stamped made in Malaysia which only did around 45,000. Wont go near them again.

How bizarre, I might have to ask a tyre guru about this? I wonder if you can choose by price or if it's just luck of the draw! " maybe a better term might be bad luck"

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
We run Hankook mud tyres. Bit noisey as they wear but got them at a good price, good on and off road, got about 40,000km on them now and still not half worn out.

Cheers

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
How bizarre, I might have to ask a tyre guru about this? I wonder if you can choose by price or if it's just luck of the draw! " maybe a better term might be bad luck"

With 96,000 between replacements, there was a difference of some 4 years so supplier changes could occurr in that time frame.

I believe Bush Palace run a tyre business in SA so maybe ha can shed some light on the matter.

MolongMick

Oct 6, 2011
NSW

I had the same problem, BFG's made in Malaysia on a Rodeo, and only got about 40,000km out of them, not real happy with that.

Currently running Yokohama Geolander AT's, so far very happy with them.

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
:blabla:
With 96,000 between replacements, there was a difference of some 4 years so supplier changes could occurr in that time frame.

I believe Bush Palace run a tyre business in SA so maybe ha can shed some light on the matter.

Antman about your Herc tyres they are still available as we sell a few of em , your Mickeys/coopers are made in 2 countries the only one any good is the yankie ones which in my book arent that good anyway older style were great .BFG now your paying for the name not quallity
The new kid on the block is the MAXXIS bighorns these are rolling out our doors (no pun intended) value for money and wear is fantastic
I know im far away from most of you but if anyone on the forum wants tyres ill definately look after you guys ...
My pick is still the TOYOs my cruiser was used as their test car for wear etc etc
On a final note guys check your pressures weekly and rotate your tyres every 8 to 10 k wheel align yearly and you will notice the difference

cheers Russell

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks for all that BP. I thought you had all the info and it is great to hear directly from some one in the business. What a great forum. :rockon:

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
:blabla:

Antman about your Herc tyres they are still available as we sell a few of em , your Mickeys/coopers are made in 2 countries the only one any good is the yankie ones which in my book arent that good anyway older style were great .BFG now your paying for the name not quallity
The new kid on the block is the MAXXIS bighorns these are rolling out our doors (no pun intended) value for money and wear is fantastic
I know im far away from most of you but if anyone on the forum wants tyres ill definately look after you guys ...
My pick is still the TOYOs my cruiser was used as their test car for wear etc etc
On a final note guys check your pressures weekly and rotate your tyres every 8 to 10 k wheel align yearly and you will notice the difference

cheers Russell

Hey Russell,

Are the Toyo's you like A/T or M/T.

The Maxxis must have changed somewhat in the last couple of years! one of my staff fitted a set of M/T's to his Hilux in 2009 & he didnt even get 20k out of them. They were awesome offroad but they wore terribly.