Electrical TV ANTENNA

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thats similar to the Explorer-rv antenna thats been around a long time and had a terrific reputation years back; and its still around. I never had much faith in any of the Wineguard offerings, thats why we opt for satellite.

What would be the hurdle in attaching that to the Wineguard mast, and have the convenience of the wind up, but with a antenna that actually works on it. My brother has a Explorer-rv, and a Wineguard, and he gets plenty more on the Explorer-rv, so either the Voyager or the Explorer are clearly the ones to get.

I think the Explorer-rv unit was around the similar price as well; but at that price and with the added setup time, your 85% at satellite (here we go again with the satellite :bowl:) ... and zero dead spots.

Reactions: Bluey

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I have a Saturn but don't think it is any better than the original antenna on the van.
Mine is a few years old though so not sure if there is an updated model.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
An electronics dude told me many years ago when we were trying to source a reasonable antenna for our old camper trailer, if the weird ar$e shaped circular and conduit antennas worked, why do you never see them on houses.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Just found this a list of all broadcast towers and their details, frequencies etc, I was trying to work out UHF v VHF and whether a combination antenna was really necessary, out of the 2700+ transmitters there are only 300 odd that are VHF but some places have UHF for some stations and VHF for others one of those being Melbourne. So I think I'll get a combo

Reactions: Bluey and Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just found this a list of all broadcast towers and their details, frequencies etc, I was trying to work out UHF v VHF and whether a combination antenna was really necessary, out of the 2700+ transmitters there are only 300 odd that are VHF but some places have UHF for some stations and VHF for others one of those being Melbourne. So I think I'll get a combo
I assumed the digital roll out made the VHF redundant

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The problem with the winegaurd whether snow flake or other type is the wiring I have found, I have fixed a couple so far that have defied the "Service Technicians" and it's been down to crappy wiring connections. I could build a high gain aerial but it would be about 2.5 metres long, great picture though.

The quality of the TV plays a big part in tuning in stations also, the earlier Tv's tuners just aren't as good as the new stuff, my new TV pulls in signals where the old one had trouble.

The digital signal is transmitted on VHF and UHF frequencies but it is the Vertical or Horizontal polarization that knocks some of the aerials out of action, my flat bar Winegard get's a pin taken out when I need vertical, usually a waste of time as the shows are crap anyway.

Carry a compass in the van and use the My Switch app to find whether vertical or Horizontal and where to point the damn thing, will have to get a sat dish one day, more stuff to pack !!!!!!

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Sorry but after having a look much prefer antenna mate, and also Satellite locator is a lot easier than the satellite function on my switch too
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg