Toyota Aurion 1600Kg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
As a totally non mechanical person, the only way I could finally understand the suspension issue was to look at my Navara, rated to carry a ton.

Most of my driving was unladen, then I had the bright idea to collect some special soil I need. No prob, I said, I'll come and get it...be quicker and my ute can handle a ton.

Soil was loaded, off I went and stopped to buy something on the way home. I looked at the ute and the bum was well down. I didn't really worry as it was going to be unloaded quickly but I noticed the difference in handling...squishy I called it.

Anyway, it showed even me that putting 'the maximum or rated load' in the rear caused handling and levelling problems and, if you think of a van applying that load for weeks at a time, that springs will no longer bounce back.

Ours didn't....when towing the van for weeks.

And I totally agree, that being a van owner can be expensive....but not as expensive as boats!

All we're saying, is that the suspension needs to be checked, watched etc for exactly the same reasons as weights.

Safety.

Good luck with it. Look forward to years of fun with the van.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Yes we ran a Hayman Reese wdh on our VT wagon on our 16ft expanda and did the job. Didn't have to alter the suspension. See how you go first. The Falcon will tow it well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

MuzBmc

May 4, 2016
Victoria
Just a note on the falcon tow bar. If it is anything like the territory, the heavy duty 2300kg tow bar is only rated to 1600kg with the supplied hitch. And if the van is over 1600kg you will always have to use the hayman reese or a ford wdh to be legal from 1600kg to 2300kg.

MuzBmc

May 4, 2016
Victoria
Yeah i saw in your previous posts you said you had the hayman reese wdh. But there are 4 or so different levels of wdh that hr do, and all i meant by the above post was if it is one that still uses the factory supplied goose neck with a plate for the bars then you would still be illegal as the neck is only rated for 1600kg. But if it one of the wdh that comes with an adjustable or 2.3 rated goose neck then your all sweet.
Congrats on your purchase. :)
We still have another 2 weeks or so to wait till we take delivery of our expanda.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Well looks like you got a great buy on the van with all the extra annex included @nihonjin just remember with that annex all packed away it will eat into a fair chuck of your allowable payload, so best to decide which trips you require the annex for and the ones you don't, best to carry it down low (floor) and as close to the axle as possible.

Reactions: Delano and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
As this is all new to me. Can someone explain why I need to go to the trouble of changing the shocks in the car. If it's rated to tow 2300 and tow ball weight way more than the van plus payload is it needed? Seems like I have just joined a bottomless pit of spending more and more. I'm sure it will be fun and I can't wait but are all these things needed?

hi @nihonjin I know it seems like its a bottomless pit of spending, but its not really
buying a Car, a Caravan, a House 2nd hand is always going to be adequate and just a compromise on what you want V's what you can get

the FG is a great Car, but not a new car - 1st compromise
the 2010 16.49.1 is a great Van (I know, I have a 2013 OB version) but its not new, and its not "exactly" what you desired - New for example

either / either there will be some things needing to update, re-organize and modify

my response was not to tear you down, but to help you when you think about hooking up the Van to disappear for the weekend / week
I know the Ford will have the "towing pack" fitted from standard, but good quality air shockies will help
dont forget to get the Brake controller fitted - lots of people going for the Redarc Tow Pro

yes from New the FG has a towing capacity for 2300kgs
but
maybe if the previous owner was a Leased vehicle, they may have fitted the cheaper low cost basic towing pack to your new -ish car, mainly for towing a 6x4 trailer to the tip once every 3 months - we dont know, until you have a look at the sticker on the tow bar
- as a side, I brought a GQ Patrol - 3500kg towing cap years ago (with tow bar ) and thought nothing of it towing a trailer to the tip, when I was about to buy a Van (Flamingo) I had a good look at the tow bar and to my horror, found that it was a cheap and nasty brand with 1200kg max towing - I had to open my Vault (wallet) to buy a new HR brand one to get the 3500kg I was lead to believe I could tow

I am glad @MuzBmc knows alot more about the recent Fords, cause I've not had one for awhile

enough of my long winded post, suffice to say

GOOD JOB ON GETTING BOTH
go and enjoy them

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
and most important, don't go buying stuff you think you need, go away and actually see what you need, what you can really use otherwise you could end up with stuff in the garage never used............always have 2 can openers though.

nihonjin

Jun 19, 2016
Brisbane
Thanks for all the positive comments. I checked the sticker on the car when i looked at the car and it was rated at 2300kg towing capacity. The car has not come with a hitch but my Dad had one he used to use that but no longer does and its definitely one that can tow up to my towing capacity.

I like @Drover your idea of using the van first before going out and buying stuff just to check first if they fit and also if we really need them or can use it.

I would like to get a custom tool box made up has anyone used someone in Brisbane that they can recommend?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
You could go to Mates Rates Tools at Yatala, they have a huge range and you might find one on the shelf.

nihonjin

Jun 19, 2016
Brisbane
I like the one that another member had made up posted in the other thread that had 2 gas bottle holders one on either side of the toolbox and had reinforced lid so you can stand on it. Im not far from Yatala so i might just go and check them out sometime. Thanks.

Do others recommend moving the spare tyre onto the back or underneath the van. Personally I like the idea of underneath. Also are there any pre made brackets that can be used to mount these or are most people using custom made devices?

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
If you decide to go underneath with the spare just make sure it isn't going to sit any lower than it does now in the cradle on the a-frame. As the touring model Expanda's do tend to sit low anyway.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
To sling it underneath there is a good write up on here somewhere.........also to check the location clearance wise before you spend money, with a big straight edge/tape go from the bottom of the tyre on the ground to the bottom of the rear bar, your spare wheel will not want to be below that line, if it is it will hit the ground and on a tourer you don't want anything any lower than it is now......so a drop down might be the go, once again there are a couple of write ups on them.

nihonjin

Jun 19, 2016
Brisbane
I have just picked up the van and I'm very excited to get started setting it up how we like it.

Firstly though I need to get the towing connections sorted. The van comes with a 12 pin connector. My new car came with a round pin connector. I want to be able to run the fridge and charge the van battery whilst I drive and later on possibly get portable solar to plug into. My trailer at home has a flat 7 pin connector.

My question is what is the best setup. Do I keep the 12 pin on the van and get a 12pin put on my car? Is there an adaptor to go from a12 pin to a flat 7 pin so I can hook up my trailer when needed? Or do o swap the van to a flat 7 pin and add an anderson plug and put the same on my car?

Thoughts?

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
My question is what is the best setup. Do I keep the 12 pin on the van and get a 12pin put on my car? Is there an adaptor to go from a12 pin to a flat 7 pin so I can hook up my trailer when needed? Or do o swap the van to a flat 7 pin and add an anderson plug and put the same on my car?

If you buy the factory 12 pin plug and wiring, it comes standard with 12v for the fridge and you can use a standard flat 7 pin trailer plug with it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you want to run 12v to the van then you will need a 12 pin on the car, look elsewhere on here for much discussion on the merits of 12 pin to anderson plug for fridge.
With a 12 pin on car your trailer 7 pin flat will plug into it, no need for adapter.
12v to fridge will only keep the fridge at temp it won't cool anything down, well it will but may take 4 days to get the fridge temp down. Always run your fridge on 240 for at least a day before leaving and always put cold stuff in it first.........