Towing Mirors - which ones and why?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Might have to go the milenco ones when I need to replace ours if I don't find a set of clearviews at the right price!!!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Tempting @bigcol but not keen on that style...... Don't want to scratch the Prado's door ;)

But if I need some at short notice I'll be in touch!!!!

Reactions: Marley

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I tried Milencos after the first set of mirrors kept being blown in when a truck or large vehicle passed.
Milencos were much better but the shaking mirror especially at cruising speed made it very difficult to see behind me.
Met a couple just north of Three Ways (Stuart Hwy) with a BeasT with Clearviews (2102)
When I returned home, ordered and had fitted a set on my BeasT, C&C Show special, free fit.

Never regretted it, big trip in 2014 (12,000km) and several trips since, steady as a rock!
May look a little Dumbo like but absolutely no regrets. Always need to remember to be wary when not towing and fold them in when parking. Have a 2nd car, Mazda 3 for everyday use so mostly use the BeasT for towing boat or Panda. Sold the Milencos to another forum member.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Re Milenco

Be careful to check that the screw connecting the mirror part to the black surround (not the ones attached to vehicle mirrors) don't come loose.

We've had to check and tighten them daily as one in particular was almost out and it can't be checked from inside the car......and it's yet another thing to remember to monitor.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
image.jpg

:puke:
And even worse from the back.....

Bladespinner

Jan 21, 2016
Stawell Victoria
Hi folks,
just thought I would share a recent mod to our towing mirrors.
I have the Ora Big Reds, which initially I was happy with. But as time progressed I started to experience issues.
The support arm seems a solid solution to mirrors getting pushed in by wind. Over time the suction cup didn't hold as well and would on occasion lose suction and let go. The support arm was also not really strong enough, and once setting the mirror position up when leaving home, I would find at 100km/hr the mirror would slightly lift position so it would be viewing to high down the van.
The clincher was while driving on a recent trip at night, I heard a bit of a clunk and looked at the mirror to find to my surprise the support arm was gone......with no room to stop and being night time the chances of finding it was nil, so pushed on while pushing the folded mirror back out with every passing truck.
Got to the night time stop and decided the next morning to relocate the remaining passenger support to the drivers side. On inspecting the remaining clamps and noticed nearly all of the plastic clamp components had cracked. The cracks were the cause of the drivers side letting go and falling off.
Got home with the remaining support arm, that could also have parted ways with the mirror at anytime, and the boss pushing the passenger mirror back out from time to time.

So I got to thinking about methods of supporting the mirror that was more robust the the Ora support arms. The solution was parts made up from RAM Mounts (no association). It basically replicates the Ora support arm, but with metal (aluminium, cast aluminium) components and a much better suction cup. The components aren't cheap, bought online for around $130, so trialled on one mirror first and worked really well, so have now fitted off the second mirror.
The 2 universal joints make it very easy to fit. The suction cup is brilliant. the setup is much stronger now, over two recent trips not a single problem or letting go of the support. the extra strength has also stopped the mirror twist at speed, I can now set the mirror position at 0km/hr and know it will stay in that position at 100km/hr.

View attachment 31436
View attachment 31437
View attachment 31438
Hi Holden Man
Do you still have the on line supplier details for your mirror set up? I lost 2 mirrors last week and like your option.
Thanks