Towing Mirors - which ones and why?

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Just wondering what type of towing mirrors people here are using, and why you chose those particular mirrors?

I don't mind the look of the Haigh Pro Towing mirrors but the ORA Torino mirrors also look interesting....but I'm still yet to decide on the mirrors I want to buy.

Looking forward to hearing everyones views on mirrors...(pardon the pun) :)

Dave

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I use the Aussie Truck mirrors very sturdy with goosd size glass for plenty of vision, however onthe Pajero even with the wider botton clip they have been a pain in the arse to fitted at the bottom they make the door really hard to shut even distort it a little, in the wet you need to regularly retension the strap otherwise the bottom clip ends up flapping in the breeze.

I'm consider changing to the new ORA Torino, looks easy to fitted once set up the first time though the botton door clip did look a bit filsmy. I was going to try one the other day at the dealer but forgot.

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
I bought some like these off ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KDC-TOWI...20&pmod=260706369431%2B260706369431&po=&ps=63

The bottom clip doesn't fit my Jackaroo. Can't get the door closed. So I put them under the door and they clip onto the pocket on the inside of the door. This works well. In windy conditions while driving the strap can vibrate on the outer door skin and be very annoying. tried them on a sorrento (2007) and they didnt fit.

wizzer

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I like the clearview mirrors, if i had the cash they would be mine.

They are massive though....................even when pushed 'in'.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I bought some like these off ebay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KDC-TOWI...20&pmod=260706369431%2B260706369431&po=&ps=63

The bottom clip doesn't fit my Jackaroo. Can't get the door closed. So I put them under the door and they clip onto the pocket on the inside of the door. This works well. In windy conditions while driving the strap can vibrate on the outer door skin and be very annoying. tried them on a sorrento (2007) and they didnt fit.

wizzer

They are a copy of the Aussie Truck, should be able to get wider bottom clip for them.

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Thanks guys. It looks like the Aussie Truck mirrors (or similar) are the more popular than the standard clip-on mirrors.

I must admit I don't like the sound of the belt loosening when it becomes wet (and I'd hate for the mirrors to fall off when driving), but I guess as long as they are periodically tightened then they would be OK (particularly if it started to rain).

Has anyone out there previously used (or are currently using) the ORA Torino mirrors ? If so I'd be keen to hear you thoughts on these.

If anyone else has any thoughts on mirrors in general, please share.... :)

Cheers,
Dave

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Gday everyone, I had the ORA mirrors and at 100k's an hour on the freeway they would blow forwards rendering the mirror useless.

I bought the ORA brand as they where supposedly better quality cost me $100 and never again.

I then bought a copy of the Aussie truck mirrors but didn't think that because I have rain shields on my Pajero they would not fit as they would sit to far down the door.

So I purchased these of supercheap got them on sale for $25 a pair.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...ti-Fit-Heavy-Duty.aspx?pid=164899#Description

These have been fantastic and have been on the Pajero for over a year without any issues, just took them of the other day as we are selling the Pajero and they are still in top condition.

They don't flip forwards when driving down the freeway because of the way they are attached and have a few adjustments on them.

For a cheap mirror I am extremely happy and will continue to use these.

I still have the Aussie truck mirror copies and was considering putting these on the Pathfinder but i have heard to many horror stories of them scratching the glass when winding the window up and damaging the paint work.

If I had a choice money aside as these are expensive I would grab a set of these but they don't make them for the Pathfinder just yet.

http://www.clearviewmirrors.com.au/

You have actually inspired me to shoot of a mail to clear view and find out when the Pathfinder ones will be coming :)

Sinko

Mar 21, 2011
Victoria
So I purchased these of supercheap got them on sale for $25 a pair.

I had these too and they blew in on occassion when a truck passed. I now have these from ORA and think they are great. They are easy to remove when you get where you are going and leave the straps around the mirror. Simply slide em back in when you go!

rossa1.jpg

cheers
Sinko

Reactions: Bluey

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Thanks guys. It looks like the Aussie Truck mirrors (or similar) are the more popular than the standard clip-on mirrors.

I must admit I don't like the sound of the belt loosening when it becomes wet (and I'd hate for the mirrors to fall off when driving), but I guess as long as they are periodically tightened then they would be OK (particularly if it started to rain).

Cheers,
Dave

The Mirror wont actually fall off (or shouldn't) as they clip down the window and supported against the door, I once had the lower strap come off due to the wet and not retenion it and the strap/clip was blowing around hitting the door, I was going down a mountain rd with nowhere to pull over to fix it.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have a Britax mirror on my driver side.

Mirror 2.jpg

Works great but can scratch the door and window. Has not come undone as it can be tightened up securely. The mirror can be removed from the frame without removing the strap and and the rest of the assembly. Cost was around $95.

The left side I just use one of those that with the 'rubber bands' around the existing mirror.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi folks,
just thought I would share a recent mod to our towing mirrors.
I have the Ora Big Reds, which initially I was happy with. But as time progressed I started to experience issues.
The support arm seems a solid solution to mirrors getting pushed in by wind. Over time the suction cup didn't hold as well and would on occasion lose suction and let go. The support arm was also not really strong enough, and once setting the mirror position up when leaving home, I would find at 100km/hr the mirror would slightly lift position so it would be viewing to high down the van.
The clincher was while driving on a recent trip at night, I heard a bit of a clunk and looked at the mirror to find to my surprise the support arm was gone......with no room to stop and being night time the chances of finding it was nil, so pushed on while pushing the folded mirror back out with every passing truck.
Got to the night time stop and decided the next morning to relocate the remaining passenger support to the drivers side. On inspecting the remaining clamps and noticed nearly all of the plastic clamp components had cracked. The cracks were the cause of the drivers side letting go and falling off.
Got home with the remaining support arm, that could also have parted ways with the mirror at anytime, and the boss pushing the passenger mirror back out from time to time.

So I got to thinking about methods of supporting the mirror that was more robust the the Ora support arms. The solution was parts made up from RAM Mounts (no association). It basically replicates the Ora support arm, but with metal (aluminium, cast aluminium) components and a much better suction cup. The components aren't cheap, bought online for around $130, so trialled on one mirror first and worked really well, so have now fitted off the second mirror.
The 2 universal joints make it very easy to fit. The suction cup is brilliant. the setup is much stronger now, over two recent trips not a single problem or letting go of the support. the extra strength has also stopped the mirror twist at speed, I can now set the mirror position at 0km/hr and know it will stay in that position at 100km/hr.

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

Reactions: Bluey

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

Has anyone out there previously used (or are currently using) the ORA Torino mirrors ? If so I'd be keen to hear you thoughts on these.

If anyone else has any thoughts on mirrors in general, please share.... :)

Cheers,
Dave

when I had these on my car, to stop the vibrating (apart from constantly tightening the stupid thing) I had one of these on the strap........
worked a charm........ not these exactly, but the same........

1053-Seatbelt_Cover-1_b.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Millenco large.

Have done over 12,000kms with them on and have to say they were ok. Vibration is minimal and cost is ok ($125 I think from Brisbane Camperland) but have to constantly check to make sure they are tightly fitted as they shake loose. Far better than the strap on / clip on ones we used previously....they really vibrate to the point of being totally useless.

Seriously thinking of the Clearview to make life easier!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have been singing the praises of the Clearviews ever since I put them on

I had been thinking about them for a few years - trying to justify the cost

one day (couple of years ago) I met an elder couple with their Van (and Nissan Patrol) in Southern Cross who had them on.......
I asked - "are they really worth the cost??"
he said - the single best improvement he has ever made

so I brought some
and I agree....................

they are pricey, but once you have them, you hate driving others cars without them on.........

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Still keeping my eyes open on the clearview second hand site after looking at @bigcol 's on his patrol.... Mrs Dagree will have my personal bits removed if I pay full price at the moment :o

Reactions: bigcol

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
We have a brand that attaches to the mirror (similar to the ones expanda has) they blow in when a truck passes but a bit of tape on the car mirrors fixes that

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I find my Milenco Aeros do the job. However after doing a 4 day trip in convoy with my mate I spent a lot of time looking in the rear mirrors to see how far back he was. Eyes started to get a bit sore. If I was a full time nomad I might consider Clearviews.

Reactions: bigcol