Things To Come

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey everyone, just wanted to provide you with a quick update...

Since we switched the forum software over to a new brand and updated the look and feel there have been some things that we the developers of the software have been looking at to bring you a more integrated and enhanced feel for the site.

Finger crossed but mid July there will be some more changes happening and I wanted to let you know first up what's going on....

Firstly, we are not changing the look / feel and we a re not changing the software just making things better by introducing new features.

Some of these features are as follows -

1) Responsive look and feel for Ipads, Tablets and Phones. Basically what this is that when you visit our site on a device that has a small screen size rather than try to display the whole website to you we will automatically scale the site down to your resolution. This will mean you get an easier to navigate version of the site when using mobile devices and essentially is a mobile orientated theme of the site. You won't need to do anything the site will detect your device and scale accordingly. This will allow a much more improved look and feel of the site when accessing it from mobile and tablet devices and is a huge step forward in mobile device access.

2) A new editor, this is basically the buttons and the area where you type text. Up till now its been a little buggy on ipad's and android devices but the good news is its getting wiped and replaced completely by something new. The good part of this is the file size of the editor is reduced which means less downloading when on a mobile device. There is a raft of new features with the editor and more will come on that front but it is a much more modern look and feel and much easier to use.

3) Forum subscription, people have asked for this before and I am glad its on its on its way back. Basically this lets you "subscribe" to a forum and get alerts to new posts in a forum there will also be a page where you can manage these subscriptions.

4) Notable members, this will essentially replace the long list of members and give you a bit clearer picture of the people that are currently "notable" members. These will highlight members with the most messages, most likes received, most trophy points etc etc.... This will be great for all members as you can see who is ahead of you and put yourself in the spotlight by participation.

There is plenty more coming but just wanted to let you know these things are actively being looked at to bring you a much better experience.

Any questions let me know and as always with things in development some of this may or may not change closer to the final delivery time.

Will keep you posted as we travel along....

Cheers!

SP4RKI

Jan 13, 2013
Arcadia, NSW
I only use my iPad when I'm on the forum.....And it works perfectly! So much so that Mrs Sparki has commented that I spend more time on the forum than talking to her at night on the lounge..... I guess that's why she became a member too!

Reactions: Lara

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I only use my iPad when I'm on the forum.....And it works perfectly! So much so that Mrs Sparki has commented that I spend more time on the forum than talking to her at night on the lounge..... I guess that's why she became a member too!
my wife calls herself the forum widow....
Actually last night she made an interesting comment. Quote"when the expanda comes you will be sleeping it it". Funny how differently I took that, compared to what she mean't!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hey expanda, I don't understand point 3. what's the difference from all the emails I get already for all the threads I am subscribed to?

Its at a forum level...

So say for instance you want to be notified when ever a new post is made to a certain forum say "Trip Report" you subscribe to this forum and each time a new post is made in that forum you are alerted to it.

Currently you get alerts for threads you post in this is for the entire forum.

Does that make sense?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Its at a forum level...

So say for instance you want to be notified when ever a new post is made to a certain forum say "Trip Report" you subscribe to this forum and each time a new post is made in that forum you are alerted to it.

Currently you get alerts for threads you post in this is for the entire forum.

Does that make sense?
Yep.. Thanks.

on a side note, another couple of thoughts...

1. The ability to have a favorite threads option. For threads that you continually came back to or you know you will want to reference in the future.
2. The "what did you do on the weekend" thread is very Facebook like in that you post what you are up to right now. Would something a bit more predominant that allows you to post "what's on your mind" or "what you are up to" add another dimension to this forum? Not sure if it would take off, but just another suggestion.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi all,

As I have touched on in the short term future we will be updating the software on the site to included a stack load more features.

I have a test site running that showcases some of these features -

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/xentest/index.php

If you want to try it out you would need register a new account.

Some caveats -

1) Its by no means a final product and is purely a first release so there will be bugs

2) The skin is not in place by default, if you sign up for the site you can change the skin yourself but the responsive component is not compatible yet with our skin so I leave it up to you if you want to fiddle

3) The new user account you create will be wiped at some point depending on the bugs found

4) Feel free to create posts / conversations what ever its a test site so go nuts

Now the serious stuff over some things you will notice that is new -

1) Responsive design, this is something I have talked about in the past and it is aimed at addressing mobile capability of the site. Responsive design is essentially that, as in it responds to the device you are using by identifying the size of your screen and displaying the site in a way that your screen is capable off. So for instance you have a mobile phone with a 3 inch screen when you view the site it will automatically resize down to a more manageable level where you can still easily view the site. If you don't have a mobile you can just visit that url and reduce your internet browsers width and you will see the site respond to your new window size.

2) A completely redesigned editor, this is the section where you type your messages and the buttons above. Its not just a new look but a completely different editor with a variety of extra features. Some key features -

a) Drag and drop uploading, yes I am not kidding you can now drag and drop an image from your desktop or a folder to the editor window. Simply select an image and drag it to the editor screen and you your image will be auto uploaded.

b) Drafts, this will save your post in case you leave the page or something crashes. There is the option to also remove your draft in case you don't want it.

c) Improved smiley drop down, when you press the smiley button rather than a long list you will see the smileys appear down the bottom of the editor nice and cleanly

d) A range of other improved features aimed at mobile capability which includes Iphone, Ipad and all Ipad tablets in the editor just trying typing now

3) A new members section which gives you a highlight off members with the highest numbers for like / points etc -

http://expandasdownunder.com/xentest/index.php?members/

4) Forum watching, there is now at the top of each forum the option to watch this forum. You may want to do this for a variety of reason but once you have selected to watch a forum you can choose the options of how you want to be alerted. You can also then manage your watched forums through a new page option which you will see at the top of the forum when you are watching something.

There is a raft of other changes but I will let you find them :)!

If you want to discuss the test site I would suggest your respond here so we can discuss it somewhere that will not get deleted.

pace9908 you may want to try out the new editor :) as it should address your issues with the font etc!

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Thanks for all your hard work as always expanda. Now to try it out on my new ipad mini..............................

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey expanda, been using my iPad mini and iPhone over the last few days and it seems to work really well.

Not sure if its an apple thing but the predictive text is a complete nightmare! Worse than normal (i.e. texting etc).

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
expanda done more testing today, managed to upload image. kept getting an prompt message appearing informing that i ''need to wait 13 seconds before that function is allowed''. when ever i went through my gallery, selected submit post, surfing through forum from homepage to forum. all done from htc(android mobile). Pace