The mods bucket list thread

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi all
I was just thinking that there is heaps of info on mods completed. But I am sure there are more than just myself out there with a mind full of mods to do.

For me I still want to do the following:
- shelf or pocket for remotes up the bed end.
- small shelf high above the door between the overhead cupboards where wallets, keys and loose change can sit
- rerouting of washing machine outlet to link in with other plumbing.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Brad. I was thinking along similar lines but planned to show the mods already done. Hopefully other would follow suit and we could have all mods showing up onder one heading. From that I could then see other ideas (already done) and decide which might suit me and my van and be able to ask the member any questions.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Great idea Brad, so many good idea's but i loose track of them sometimes and have to go hunting all over to find them again!
With the place for remotes, books, torch ect when in bed i use a car rear seat organizer and attach it to the rear bed support bar, it has pockets for my water bottle, 4x4 action mags, torch, panadol..... and lots of other things, i had my sister who is great on the sewing maching make a few mods to it so it also holds a portable DVD player and i just clip it to the centre bar when watching, sits perfectly in front of me then move it to the back to sleep again! Works a treat!! I bought it from SC Auto for $17

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
paul,
i have put these elastic holders $18 ea at the beds ends on both sides of the van and the rear dinette to (though this pic at is at the entry), *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* side by side at the front bed screwed in from the back wall of the end seat back, *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* on top one another at the rear bed screwed in from the back wall of end seat back/upright wall and another screwed in opposite that one screwed into the wall towards the fridge. done all these when was away easter, just borrowed the park managers cordless drill and got them all the local caravan yard we visited. happy wife happy life as the saying goes.
just be sure to measure the screw before you screw in. cheers Pace.
elastic storage.jpg

Reactions: Cookie

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We used to sit our Weber on a small aluminium table but it was never very stable but I spotted a van with a solution while camped at Brunswick Hds. But I am afraid 99% of members wont be able to use it. :nono: Your front bed is in the way. :faint:

weber stand 1.jpgPosition while travelling
weber stand 2.jpgPosition for use
weber stand 3.jpgWith Weber in position

I just utilised the redundant jockey wheel carrier after having a new one fitted inside the A-frame.

Reactions: Bushboy2017

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Great minds Pace!!! I have also just installed two of these on the side of the cabinet by the door for magazines ect. Picked them up from RV in Ferntree gully

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
sorry Brad for the late response, seems with a new bub i dont have quite the amount of time foer sitting online!, i am working my wa to a point of taking shots of all my things and posting, i just have not had the chance to do so! I did also end up having some security stickers made too, i will get some shots on soon but the organizer was from SCAuto.
Cheers

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Nice solution for your van, Chartrock. Got the bed ends, so I bought the folding stand for the BabyQ on Friday (Ray's had sale on) to free up an aluminum table for similar reason. Weber stand has a simple stabilizer and some safety straps.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
thought i'd rehash this thread to see what members have been up to and are getting up to re mods/refinement to their vans prior to rush of christmas holidays fast approaching.

i have put together a list of things (off the top of my head, should i think of anything else will update. van is covered away), done to our van in the past year and some are works in progress (WIP) still. most of these can be viewed in my album some others need to load pics still.

-front locker lids holdback chains (chartrock mod)
-external strip led lighting for awning/annexe
-rerouting of water pipes through the chassis slots (chartrock mod)
-rear pole carrier
-magazine elastic holders (mrs pace mod)
-led lighting for main dinette
-led internal roof lighting (came with replacement roof, due 2011 hail storm)
-bed converter support poles for main dinette bed
-wardrobe removable shelving
-shelf above hws
-battery led lighting in all cupboards and fridge (mrs pace mod)
-basin water diverter to not wet toilet as basin folds up (stone stomper mod)
-relocated bunk ladder to rear of van
-grab handle on door to close so not using curtain (kids!!)
-underbody thermal insulation, (WIP)
-wheel flaps
-antenna pole (mini pace mod)
-shower caddy (mrs pace mod)
-shower curtain, no more wiping down basin/toilet after showers
-supply/sullage hose bag to spare wheel well
-tv bracket mount to roof support extender arms (WIP) (mfexpanda mod)
-underbody storage tray (WIP)

still to do,
-move jockey wheel clamp inside a frame
-flip over spare wheel to top of a frame (xpandafan mod)
-flip up side table near sink (WIP.Geoff mod)
-
-
-
cheers pace

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Jeez Pace, it's not a competition. You'll start to put people off getting an Expanda:wink: ...too much work to do after you get it home. Not that many of us are any better. I couldn't log into the Forum Shop today..I think Mrs XF has decided enough is enough and has been in touch with Expanda ​and blacklisted me. Be nice to Mrs Pace to avoid same fate.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Nice list pace.
I have two I am looking at before Christmas.

1. Reworking all the plumbing under the van so that washing machine is part of the same piping system.
2. This is still in investigation phase but I reacon I can disconnect the weber legs and mount the weber on a slide out frame system via the front locker hatch. I was thinking of making the weber lid more of a quick release system that meant I could store the lid separately which meant the slide out system only ended taking up the top half of the hatch. Anyway, that's the theory. See how far I get.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I want to do mods, but we are thinking of upgrading after summer, order during winter and get excited again in spring so I keep thinking, "just put up with what we have as it is great anyway and mod new van".

Brad I know what you mean with the weber and I also worry about it getting stolen, but I do like the fact it is on the trolley and well away from the van, just in case! Drainage system on caravans in general are crap, they don't follow normal plumbing rules. The biggest mod any drain needs is a vent. It needs air in to let it drain, but when you hook up 5m of flat drain pipe and the water is slow to get away, "I wonder why". That is the first simple mod I wanted to do before Xmas.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yeah plumbing on my list too, last time I was away the sullage point was right next to the van so I cut 2m off the hose and drained better, this was after I had the waste water coming up in shower floor so maybe the one way valve mod there. I now have a short sullage hose for close sullage points and will cut the rest up at 2m lengths also and join as necessary as others have done.

Other mods on the list in lnclude:

J box for wiring (the bundle at end of A frame) incidentally they have run 6b&s to the fridge.
Bike rack
Something to organize front boot
Some sort of rack for the wifes champagne glasses and some other holders
Solar panel
Anderson plug for charging batteries
Clothes line between awning arms
Maybe some small tv screens/media players in bunks for kids (I'll see how that goes)
Tidy up some wiring underneath, I've already re-run the wiring for water tanks and used corrugated tubing secured with P clips to floor before the control panel tells me the tanks are full when they're not!

I also need to cable tie the rubber boot for windup antenna, a repairer put me onto this, one tie around small end (coax) and one around big end (bottom). This seals the boot and stops it pulling off when antenna is wound up and down.
Already done the led thing, most were already done.
Canvas bed end (for weather protection)

I think that's about it at this stage.

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I imagine it would need to be high up, so unless you had something ugly on the outside you would need to put in a cupboard inside higher than the sink but then you'd get smells!