The Marshian's New Home - 19ft New Age Gecko

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
But what please me was the general layout and tidiness under there. Things look routed well and with thought. All protruding wiring that I could see had been covered already which will save me a job.

At first when I read this I was scared, in fact worried for you then I remembered It's not a Jayco , silly me........................

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Xmas in the Big Green Lizard up at Wakiti Creek Resort. See here for details:

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/th...-in-wakiti-creek-resort-vic.8263/#post-167654

First time we'd had the awning out for an extended period and even teamed it up with the shade cloth. Nice solid set up but an AFK wouldn't go astray.

20161223_203538_1482880366446_resized.jpg

Xmas lights looked good on the van...

DSC_0798.JPG DSC_0803.JPG

Also tried out a bike rack we had sitting around at home on the back bumper. Was good, did think that it changed the dynamics of the van a tiny bit, but all in all, certainly a better way to travel with them than stuffing them in the back of the truck. Hoping a toolbox on the front might help off set the weight a bit more. Also, a better quality bike rack wouldn't go astray.

20161227_130118_1482880376907_resized.jpg

And getting it dirty just shows you're using it correctly, isn't it?

20161227_162724_1482880357835_resized.jpg

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
So, the Big Green Lizard is back from New Age after some warranty work was done. Some issues with the 240V circuit sorted out after a powerpoint kept tripping. A soft spot in the floor checked and additional bit of bracing put in at a high traffic point of the van, adjustment of ensuite door and replacing of the stupid chain on the door (that @Crusty181 loves so much) that broke, but unfortunately was replaced with another stupid chain. Also replaced the ESC plug on the front after it dropped off and I dragged it for 50km on the way over to the dealer!

Perhaps though the biggest thing was something I hadn't planned on getting fixed but enquired about. We'd noticed that the bench above the fridge got really hot over summer. I enquired about it when dropping the van off and after discussing with the staff it was noticed that the top vent at the rear of the fridge was installed at the wrong height. So they arranged to get another vent installed at the correct location. End result, three vents behind the fridge. In the end, should help with fridge performance I would think, although dust might be a consideration on dirt roads.

vent.jpg

All done under warranty, no charge, no fuss and as usual the van washed and cleaned beautifully for pick up. Even blacked up the tyres.

Once home, I finally got to check to see if the new box I had built for the front would fit. It's been a bit of a drama (due mainly to my own stuff ups) but I'm happy to say it fits. Still need to bolted on, but all in all, should be a great little addition where we can store some of the more lesser used gear. I think it ties in well with the silver checkerplate well.

tool box.jpg

Also picked up some little USB desk fans off Ebay for the kids bunks. Not sure if they will do the job for myself, but for the kids they should keep the air moving around them when off grid.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
So they arranged to get another vent installed at the correct location. End result, three vents behind the fridge.

bugger about the Graphics..............., they looked good

was there any suggestion as to why the vent was in wrong - did you get a bigger fridge (cannot remember off hand)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
So, the Big Green Lizard is back from New Age after some warranty work was done. Some issues with the 240V circuit sorted out after a powerpoint kept tripping. A soft spot in the floor checked and additional bit of bracing put in at a high traffic point of the van, adjustment of ensuite door and replacing of the stupid chain on the door (that @Crusty181 loves so much) that broke, but unfortunately was replaced with another stupid chain. Also replaced the ESC plug on the front after it dropped off and I dragged it for 50km on the way over to the dealer!

Perhaps though the biggest thing was something I hadn't planned on getting fixed but enquired about. We'd noticed that the bench above the fridge got really hot over summer. I enquired about it when dropping the van off and after discussing with the staff it was noticed that the top vent at the rear of the fridge was installed at the wrong height. So they arranged to get another vent installed at the correct location. End result, three vents behind the fridge. In the end, should help with fridge performance I would think, although dust might be a consideration on dirt roads.

View attachment 47829

All done under warranty, no charge, no fuss and as usual the van washed and cleaned beautifully for pick up. Even blacked up the tyres.

Once home, I finally got to check to see if the new box I had built for the front would fit. It's been a bit of a drama (due mainly to my own stuff ups) but I'm happy to say it fits. Still need to bolted on, but all in all, should be a great little addition where we can store some of the more lesser used gear. I think it ties in well with the silver checkerplate well.

View attachment 47828

Also picked up some little USB desk fans off Ebay for the kids bunks. Not sure if they will do the job for myself, but for the kids they should keep the air moving around them when off grid.
I takes a special kind of person with either a low brain function, or powerful mind control, not be tested by that damn chain. Still, if thats the only Jayco'ism, your way in front

Your top vent seems very low if it at the top of the fridge. I didnt bother dust blocking my vents after I forgot early on, and found bugger all dust in there. Our fridge vents are around mid way along the van, over the axels, and the dust cloud is only an issue past the axels.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
bugger about the Graphics..............., they looked good

was there any suggestion as to why the vent was in wrong - did you get a bigger fridge (cannot remember off hand)

Well the top vent should have been where it is now so they would have had to either move the graphics originally (i.e. the whole side of the van graphics down) or it would look like it is now. It's the offside of the van though so you don't see it when sitting outside of the van.

I takes a special kind of person with either a low brain function, or powerful mind control, not be tested by that damn chain. Still, if thats the only Jayco'ism, your way in front

Yeah... it's a damn annoying chain. But it works really really well at keeping light out and getting the van dark, which is great for getting the kids into bed. The blue-tac helps but really it still rattles.

Your top vent seems very low if it at the top of the fridge. I didnt bother dust blocking my vents after I forgot early on, and found bugger all dust in there. Our fridge vents are around mid way along the van, over the axels, and the dust cloud is only an issue past the axels.

It is lower than some would expect, but don't forget the fridge isn't "full height". It is a short "squat" style fridge. I asked if we could upsize it further but it was the largest they went, and is actually bigger and holds more volume than the "full height" fridge we had in the Jayco I think. We haven't run out of space yet.

IMG_5408.JPG

Our vents are just past the axles so it might be something I have to keep an eye on.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So does that mean you have a vent to the burner and a vent just below and just above the hot bits ? that should work pretty well.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
So does that mean you have a vent to the burner and a vent just below and just above the hot bits ? that should work pretty well.

Yep. The new vent (the top one) sits next to the condenser where heat was building up. The thermo fan actually sits between the two vents and should further add to the efficiency of it.

I'm pretty sure this build up of heat was the reason we burnt through so much gas over the Xmas holidays (two trips totalling 3 weeks). Hopefully this will extend our gas reserves. :)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It most certainly would have been the cause and the fridge stayed as a fridge to boot, must be a good fridge, a lot would have been food warmers.

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So long as you feel a warm flow of air from the top vent all should be good but check that the air is not capable of flowing into any spaces, it should come in at the bottom and be directed over the gear and straight out the top vent, even putting a panel to direct the flow at the top improves things.

When we first got The Tardis , the bench turned into a hot plate, the back of the fridge was open into the cupboard space, no insulation, nothing directing air to top vent and outside, once I did the job properly fridge froze every damn thing if you put it over 4................

Last edited: