18' Series Storm Covers for Expandas

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We are looking at the Jayco ones at $700 a pair or Holiday Annexe ones for $990 a pair. Are the Jayco ones OK or do they look and feel cheaper? The Holiday ones certainly look good and have a 5 year warranty and Aussie made material. Not going Kakadu, its just out of the 2 mentioned. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Where to next

Aug 25, 2015
Melbourne
I have the Jayco ones and I am happy with them. Easy to take on and off. They have a clear screen and a fly screen. So on a cooler day when you want more light you just roll up the outside cover. If it is a warmer day you can roll up the clear screen as well and get really good circulation. The only criticism I have (others have commented on this as well) they only have 2 press studs each side to fix to the van. It needs more press studs. Other than that all good.

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
I have just fitted up the Jayco ones to our 18.58.1, I added some extra press studs and some bungee cord to tighten it up. We had our first night in the van last night and they definitely kept it darker this morning.

IMG_1657.JPG
IMG_1656 2.JPG

Aussiejet

Aug 12, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I have just fitted up the Jayco ones to our 18.58.1, I added some extra press studs and some bungee cord to tighten it up. We had our first night in the van last night and they definitely kept it darker this morning.

View attachment 36118 View attachment 36119
Hi Az.
Mate, the bed ends look great.
I've also ordered the Jayco bed ends and our van isn't due till November, but I've read a few posts where people aren't happy with them because they don't fit properly. Yours look like they do!
In your honest opinion, are you happy with them?
Thanks
Peter

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know with the earlier version of the covers, Jayco made a mistake with them - and a lot of people (well, me anyway) had some troubles fitting them

however

knowing what I know now - would I buy them again......??

YES

they look good,
suit the van
make it a little darker for the mornings when you want to stay in bed

I also leave my privacy screens up and then put the covers on over the top of them

originally, I had some made up locally, but I preferred the look of the Jayco ones, so got them

Aussiejet

Aug 12, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I know with the earlier version of the covers, Jayco made a mistake with them - and a lot of people (well, me anyway) had some troubles fitting them

however

knowing what I know now - would I buy them again......??

YES

they look good,
suit the van
make it a little darker for the mornings when you want to stay in bed

I also leave my privacy screens up and then put the covers on over the top of them

originally, I had some made up locally, but I preferred the look of the Jayco ones, so got them
Thanks bigcol.
That gives me a little more confidence to stick with the Jayco obes.
You know what it's like buying something, sight unseen. You can only go by what others have to say. So thanks for the feedback.

Have you got any pics?

formyfamily

Aug 8, 2015
NSW
with the 2015 model I have been told you can't have the privacy screen and the Jayco ones on at the same time. I have also been to.d you can't leave either on and close the lids due to the new design and the lids won't close even with the thinner privacy screens.

formyfamily

Aug 8, 2015
NSW
I have also heard you need to add a lot more press studs, something I would be telling Jayco to do but others just diy

formyfamily

Aug 8, 2015
NSW
I don't think my other comment posted, I mentioned that I have been told you can't fit the privacy screens and the canvas ones on at the same time in the 2015 vans. nor can you leave the privacy screens on for pack up. would like to know if np anyone has managed to keep either the canvas or privacy screens on??

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We keep privacy screens on permanently.....fold up easily over hard lid.

Not the stormy ones but would like to do it...think they're too bulky but haven't used them at all yet.

Must do so.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know they changed the design of the door on the 2015 models

mine is a 2013 - hence why I can leave the privacy screen folded up as @Dobbie said
I too have to take the covers off, fold them (roll them actually) and put them back into their bags............
same same as the annex walls, so no biggie

Reactions: dagree

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
We are looking at the Jayco ones at $700 a pair or Holiday Annexe ones for $990 a pair. Are the Jayco ones OK or do they look and feel cheaper? The Holiday ones certainly look good and have a 5 year warranty and Aussie made material. Not going Kakadu, its just out of the 2 mentioned. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Hi @macca
We have the Holiday Annexe's ones. Bought for the same price you have listed. Jayco did not sell them when we bought ours.

They have been fantastic. We installed them. They were easy to install. They keep the van so much warmer. We bought them specifically when we went to the snow last year and we would have been a great deal colder if we had not fitted them. They keep the van darker in the mornings which is great. Setting up is easy but does require two people to slide them in. Packup can be done by one person to slide them out and then roll up and put them back in the bags that came with them.

The windows are mesh - not plastic. This was something we particularly liked vs some of the other ones we saw at the time. I wasn't sure whether having the clear plastic over the windows would make the inside the van a bit like a glass house??

anyway, happy as with them.
Cheers
Ants

Attachments

• DSC_5846.jpg
    DSC_5846.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 206
Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ours is October 2014.

We're talking privacy screens aren't we? Not storm covers.

Privacy screens ...the black mesh lightweight screens which stay on with press studs that are hard to push in.

We've just bought extra press studs as we are very sure some will need replacing after I taken a hammer to it.

Reactions: bigcol and Smirke

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi @Dobbie, talking about storm covers however the problem you are having with them being hard to put on is easily fixed. The screws used to screw the studs to the caravan are probably round head Phillips, just swap them over for small flat head screws. I did it on mine. @Antman, picked up some Jayco ones this morning. Thanks for your post, it got down the to $300 difference. I am sure the holiday ones are better but try telling head of finance that.
Cheers Geoff

Reactions: Antman and bigcol