Storing Our Expanda

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Well after 2 weeks out in the open collecting leaves and with the possibility of branches falling on our brand new Expanda I decided to do something about it. I wasn't overly impressed with a cover - expensive, awkward to put on, apparently don't last very long. Initially we thought we would put it around the side of the end garage after some excavation work (being done this weekend by future son-in-law) and fitting a shade sail from the wall of the garage over the van.

Then I read about "storage wheels" - you beauty! With them I would be able to fit Expanda in the other garage. So I ordered 2 + a Maco mule and various other items - arrived today. Much excitement! Using the mule I moved the van down outside the garage, then jacked up one side and removed the wheel. I offered up the small storage wheel - bummer - too small to fit over the brake drum!! Disaster I thought.

Next i remembered my wife saying - "why not let the tires down and see if it would go in under the door?" Nothing ventured, nothing gained and the van was sitting outside the garage. So I gave it a go - I had to raise/lower the A frame at certain points to pivot van in under door without ripping of bathroom vent, solar panels, TV antenna.

Well to cut a long story slightly shorter - THE VAN IS IN THE GARAGE!!!

Some photos follow for those interested.

PS if anyone wants to buy the storage wheels let me know!! P1030546.jpgP1030547.jpgP1030548.jpgP1030549.jpgP1030550.jpgP1030551.jpgP1030552.jpgP1030554.jpgP1030555.jpgP1030556.jpgP1030558.jpgP1030559.jpgP1030560.jpgP1030561.jpgP1030562.jpgP1030563.jpgP1030564.jpg

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Hey Bill,

Great to see you could get it in. I am not sure I can get mine in, but might actually try sometime in the future. Currently it is out at a friends place, but would be great to have closer so I can play with it and modify things when I have a spare couple of minutes.

So I am wondering, what is the height of your garage? I am also thinking however that the width of my garage may stop me also from fitting it in. Either that or it will be very very close.

Richard

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Hi Richard

The garage opening is approx. 2430mm high x 5400mm wide. Depth of garage is 7m. I have 150mm approx. between rear of van and garage wall and about 100mm between door and A frame. Our van has extended draw bar and Hyland hitch.
It's certainly good to be able to access the van in all weathers plus it's now protected from leaves etc.

Cheers Bill

Reactions: richard

richard

Jun 9, 2011
Bill,

Thanks for that - I have no chance at fitting it into my garage at the moment. Might just have to build a shed when I have some spare cash on a friends property to store van instead. :(

Richard

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Great work on getting it inside, I reckon you would have soon got jack (pardon the pun) of changing wheels all the time, in saying that if it still didnt fit letting tyres down, you could have used GO-JACKS with it sitting on the brake drums

http://www.gotools.com.au/GoJack.htm

I had to remove the rear bumper and Spare tyre of my old camper to get it in the garage, was a pain in the butt,
The Panda is just outside with a cover.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
your minister for war and finance has got it all right, don't stres too much about the tyres nitrogen as pretty much every kmart tyre service centre and bob jane tyre centres do nitrogen refills FREE. great job getting it in, at least it's far from essential services for doing mods!!!

Next i remembered my wife saying - "why not let the tires down and see if it would go in under the door?" Nothing ventured, nothing gained and the van was sitting outside the garage. So I gave it a go - I had to raise/lower the A frame at certain points to pivot van in under door without ripping of bathroom vent, solar panels, TV antenna.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Update - garage now nearly empty apart from van - I have chipped away the lip at the front of the concrete slab to create a gentler slope into the garage - makes it easier to roll van in using the Maco mule - now just have to get cracking checking underneath re sealing etc. Going West in July providing water levels down around the Darling river etc. Have to order Stone stomper soon and LEDs.

Cheers

Bill

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi bill, your one of the lucky ones being able to put in shed. Is it possible to raise the door height to make it even easier? Cheers mate well done! Burnsy.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Great work on getting it inside, I reckon you would have soon got jack (pardon the pun) of changing wheels all the time, in saying that if it still didnt fit letting tyres down, you could have used GO-JACKS with it sitting on the brake drums

http://www.gotools.com.au/GoJack.htm

These look pretty cool. I was thinking of rigging a similar device for when I get my van. I'll just need to move it sidways by about 600mm in one spot.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Wow! Well done champ. Must be a tight squeeze. Don`t forget to re inflate the tyres when your heading off. I could see myself forgetting to do that.

One of the first things I noticed about my expanda van when I first got it was that I could plug my little 12 volt compressor into the 12 volt plug on the side of the van and inflate both tyres. So simple and easy to be able to inflate them before even moving the van.

Perhaps you could do the same.

Well done once again.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Wow! Well done champ. Must be a tight squeeze. Don`t forget to re inflate the tyres when your heading off. I could see myself forgetting to do that.

One of the first things I noticed about my expanda van when I first got it was that I could plug my little 12 volt compressor into the 12 volt plug on the side of the van and inflate both tyres. So simple and easy to be able to inflate them before even moving the van.

Perhaps you could do the same.

Well done once again.

Unfortunately my compressor connects onto battery terminals - can't use outlet on side of the van- not to worry...

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
Hi Bill.

At Supercheap I`ve spotted little compressors that plug into your 12 volt cigarette lighters. They`re abour $30. As I mentioned ealier, I can pump both tyres up with it plugged into the one socket. A good 30 bux spent I think.

Have a great Easter.