17' Series Stereo systems

meandher (a frost)

Mar 21, 2013
The Vines, WA
Michelle, we have the same unit and you need to have a degree in electronics, or be a spotty 12 year old to operate it. It is old-fart incompatible. I have tried on a number of occasions to figure out what operates what, which button produces which effect and cursed the eerie crimson Chinese brothel-like glow that lights up the doorway on a night. It is only a matter of time before some drunken sailor knocks on the door after the pubs have thrown out with a $50 note in his hand and a hopeful glint in his eye.

Until the aforementioned adolescent with the bad skin ailment starts purchasing caravans I suggest that Jayco's supply chain start looking for something easier to operate with a single page manual in the language of this country only.

Reactions: bigcol

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Well with my birthday today, swmbo let me go and get a replacement for the fusion unit... Got this...
image.jpg
Will play the video files through external output onto the sphere tv through the leads they put in. So will be able to put everything onto a Hdd and not have discs etc floating around.

Now to find sometime to install it.

BJ.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
S
No just tried again .
Nothing in the manual says it plays iPods just audio and video files
Some stereos are just not compatible with the iPhones, iPads etc, I have a Sony in my patrol and it won't recognise my iphone through the USB at all, won't even charge it.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I thought about replacing my pioneer with a later model that accepts streaming from phone as they are not that expensive. But the way they installed it in the cabinetry, it is too good a job. It is in a timber box in the side of the overhead cupboard on the left of the door as you walk in. The box is screwed and sealed with silicone. I think I will do too much harm if I try any further. Unless someone knows how to get it out from the front. I can get the front surround off, that's as far as I went.

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
I thought about replacing my pioneer with a later model that accepts streaming from phone as they are not that expensive. But the way they installed it in the cabinetry, it is too good a job. It is in a timber box in the side of the overhead cupboard on the left of the door as you walk in. The box is screwed and sealed with silicone. I think I will do too much harm if I try any further. Unless someone knows how to get it out from the front. I can get the front surround off, that's as far as I went.
I managed to remove my Fusion unit - needed to get to the back of it to install a ground loop isolator to stop hum when playing sound from TV through it - got the front surround of easily, then with judicious levering with fine screw driver managed to ease the unit out. Of course yours may be installed differently.....

Darrin

Sep 5, 2013
Birkdale Qld
I was quoted 800 to install the stereo with the outdoor speakers and just the standard unit aswell . Thinking i might just keep the old battery Makita , its done the job many a time or install the stereo myself . Good thing about the Makita is , you can take it down to the fire ,

Cheers

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
They have "keys" that slot down each side of the stereo that allows you to slide them out from the front. I just changed my fusion POS over on the weekend and am so much happier. Ours was in a cabinet as well but nothing was siliconed so was relatively easy to remove and install.

BJ.

JOBSWAN

Nov 3, 2012
Mandurah WA
So am I correct in saying that the people who have the new fusion stereo's are not happy with them?
Also up graded stereo can anyone tell me what brand it is and what it looks like? We were not given an option of a different stereo.

createit

Apr 29, 2014
I just picked up our new 17.56-2 with the basic fusion with interior and exterior speakers and it is perfect for our needs. Hooked it up Bluetooth to the iPhone in a couple of mins which is great as we have access to all our music and can control the volume via the phone. The dealer on handover said that the inside speakers had to be on when externals are turned on however on quick exploration it has a simple zone control buttons on the head unit. Jayco also located an isolation switch inside the cupboard to isolate the internals from the externals. In my opinion it was a great investment for our van.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
So am I correct in saying that the people who have the new fusion stereo's are not happy with them?
Also up graded stereo can anyone tell me what brand it is and what it looks like? We were not given an option of a different stereo.
The Fusion for us was ok in that it was a "freebie" when we purchased our van.

Would I buy it to put in a van again? - no. Free? yes - at least the cabling is there for the speakers

Now you have to bear in mind I worked for an audio company selling high end equipment so I am very anal about my sound quality (much to the annoyance of my wife). If you just want some background music then they are ok. If you are like me and enjoy good sound, then there are definitely better out there. What annoyed me most about them though was when I was putting on my youngests music to go to sleep to (same music he has had since the day he was born) was that it took 7 goes to start the album he wanted. It was on a iPod nano and the head deck kept changing it when I started it to play using the iPod screen.

BJ.

Edited due to auto corrects!

Last edited: