17' Series Stereo systems

Crazyfun

Jun 26, 2014
So we bit the bullet and ordered a17 56 1 only a minor question but if anyone got the stereo did you get the standard one or upgrade to the premium, it's all a bit over my head the guy from jayco explained the difference to my partner but I wasn't there so if anyone else can help me in deciding which way to go that would be great thanks

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
For me the difference was $500 for basic which I negotiated down to half that or >$1000 for the premium lost interest after that.

Last edited:

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Personally I find the Pioneer system mmmmmmm but if you look at the all sales catalogues you will find a decent stereo system quite reasonably priced that will just slot in if you're not happy later on

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
is it hard to retro fit a stereo later down the track to a van that was delivered without one.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
is it hard to retro fit a stereo later down the track to a van that was delivered without one.
Can be... if they are throwing in the standard, go with that then can change over. The basic fusion to be honest absolutely sucks. if not throwing in, then I would probably go a bluetooth speaker box.

BJ

Reactions: MDS69

Crazyfun

Jun 26, 2014
The original standard one was thrown in now I'm considering going the next one up a few hundred more though

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
We currently just put a music DVD in the TV for noise :music:

But fitting a stereo is one item on the "to do" list so will be keeping an eye on here for options!

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
We also chose the upgrade because I was not too keen taking to our new van with the jigsaw to install an aftermarket unit. I like the idea of having a second controller by the footwell so you can turn outside up / down or off without having to spill the beer on the climb into the van. Not sure if it is worth the cost as we don't get the van until September!

Reactions: achjimmy and dagree

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
But fitting a stereo is one item on the "to do" list so will be keeping an eye on here for options!

Let me know if you see some good tips mate... it's on my "to do" list as well. Not critical... little portable units will suffice for now, but it'd be one less thing to secure/pack/worry about.

Reactions: dagree

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
I suggest you at least fit standard unit as not a easy job fitting speakers in roof getting wires not the best job trying to get them up the wall unless you can go up though a cupboard . I fitted a few can be done though

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
for the 17" Starcraft.. The interior speakers under the double bed thought I could put the head unit there if I ever wanted one easy to get to from outside. Or put it above the fridge and run the wires. Although do not think I will do it I have two portable units I can take with me. A small bluetooth I brought for the van and I have a nice airplay iHome unit I could take if I needed to. I did think of getting one of these for the van nicer then my iHome seen them go $500 s/h
1-950x375.jpg

Although if you do think you want it yes get it wired.. I am kicking myself I did not get a extra awning light for the external shower side.
Or move one of the bed lights.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I suggest you at least fit standard unit as not a easy job fitting speakers in roof getting wires not the best job trying to get them up the wall unless you can go up though a cupboard . I fitted a few can be done though

I would agree with this. I would even think about speakers outside. @Gadgets 21.63.1 is the one to ask, he has 3 of the fusions in his van. I would like something that could stream music from my iphone via blutooth.

Racer

Jun 17, 2014
NSW
We went with basic system that comes with external speakers as well. You could fit it later yourself but you would probably save $100.

I use a music program called MOG. This runs through our SONOS system at home. The Fusion stereo has blue tooth streaming through the iPhone. I think it'll be fine for us.

Reactions: achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We went with basic system that comes with external speakers as well. You could fit it later yourself but you would probably save $100.

I use a music program called MOG. This runs through our SONOS system at home. The Fusion stereo has blue tooth streaming through the iPhone. I think it'll be fine for us.

Yeah as above that's my thoughts the basic stuff they install is okay. At least the fusion system has Bluetooth so you don't need cables or discs. It's all about enjoying a bit of music where ever you are? The construction and layout of a van will never lend itself to audio nirvana especially for anything with a bit of bass and we all play MP3s today as well which again isn't the rolls Royce of audio mediums!

If you wanna improve the sound there'd be a few easy ways IMO. Upgrade cable if possible, decent solid backs for the speakers. Brace where the speakers mount. Replace the speakers, Crossover the audio and remove all bass from the speakers and ad a small substainally mounted sub to take care of lows etc etc. but IMO it ain't worth it.

Reactions: Matty4 and Racer

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Think I've used the radio maybe 2 times in the 4 years of ownership. If I want music these days I put on some headphones as no one else in my family likes my music, and they'd complain anyway.

Bit of a WOFTAM if you ask me.

Jul 4, 2014
Engadine
So we bit the bullet and ordered a17 56 1 only a minor question but if anyone got the stereo did you get the standard one or upgrade to the premium, it's all a bit over my head the guy from jayco explained the difference to my partner but I wasn't there so if anyone else can help me in deciding which way to go that would be great thanks
We had the upgraded fusion thrown in as well, great system, can blue tooth, plug usb directly in, run the Tv through it and shift the sound to just outside/inside only. Does take a little getting your head round but worth it.