Solutions too beds getting damp, in Winter Rain/Dew?

FunFun

Jul 21, 2012
West Australia
Jayco expanda 2012 model.
We Have used our van few times now, 1 time in Rain and Yes the mattresses got wet. So we removed the end fold on the inner spring mattress. But with it being near 0 degrees, Have people put anything else up instead of there privacy screens? It just gets so cold if you sleep near the canvas, heater not keeping us warm enough at ends. We were thinking if we got made some canvas screens, someone copying the design of the privacy screen idea, so the dew will sit on the outside canvas instead? Anyone think this would work?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Take a search on this site for waterproof bed ends. You will come up with a multitude of ideas to get your creative juices flowing.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I'm thinking about simply placing a layer of thin plywood in between the canvas and the mattress. This would be at bed head, end and side. The thin ply would be able to slip under the mattress when packed up and travelling, and quickly slide between the mattress & canvas when set up. So basically we need a layer between us and the canvas which shields us from coming into contact with damp canvas. I`m thinking it doesn't have to be external coverage to avoid dampness. Either way we're not making contact with wet canvas. I think if it went around 200mm above mattress it'd do the job. Probably a lot cheaper than the current covers people are getting made and just as easy to store. Another advantage is that you can install these without going outside getting wet.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
We Have used our van few times now, 1 time in Rain and Yes the mattresses got wet. So we removed the end fold on the inner spring mattress. But with it being near 0 degrees, Have people put anything else up instead of there privacy screens? It just gets so cold if you sleep near the canvas, heater not keeping us warm enough at ends. We were thinking if we got made some canvas screens, someone copying the design of the privacy screen idea, so the dew will sit on the outside canvas instead? Anyone think this would work?

There are some great idea's in the forum for what your looking for, one is using clear plastic around 2mm from Bunnings and knocking in some press studs in the same place as what on the privacy screens, or some eyelets and loops that go around the privacy screen at the press stud locations, stops the rain and insulates well too. I have also used a blanket hanging down from the bed end frame on the inside to add some warmth. PLenty of canvas oprions too but can be $$$$$:high5:

cdarvell

Apr 28, 2012
We simply shove noodles down between the mattress and canvas.....works a treat.
I should clarify that I am talking about swimming noodles not pasta....lol

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
With our Dove camper that we have just sold we got a sheet of coreflute (the stuff for sale signs are made of) and cut it to size so it was the full width of the bed ends and about 300mm higher than the bedding, and then put this at both ends between the mattress and the canvas.
After we did this we never had wet bedding again. When not in use we just stored it under the mattress.
We have a new 14.44.4 due in four weeks and I will probably look at doing the same again.

Cheers

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
jdove,

Interested to know, if you had the corflute sides inside the canvas bed ends, while they may have stopped the bedding from getting damp/wet, given they were still touching the canvas, did any moisture still come through the canvas and run down between the corflute and canvas and possibly onto the base of the fold out bed ends?

Cheers,

Ro

jdove

Aug 23, 2011
Sunshine Coast Qld
I never noticed the bed base getting wet,with the campers the canvas is attached on the underside of the base with velcro so any moisture probably just fell away and kept the bed base dry. The Expanda will be a whole new thing for me.
I am not sure how the canvas is secured with these models but I'll find out in four weeks. I must confess that after reading all the wet canvas post's on the forum, yesterday I ordered a water proof bed end in addition to the standard mesh one.
Cheers
Dave

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
I like Paul Lees suggestion quick easy simple.being a swan to expanda convert ourselves,wetoo found slight bed wetting thru canvas,more so kids drawing with fingers on canvas then water seeps thru,should say is more the main issue!!! All that aside,expanda much much better than swan canvas setup.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sale, Victoria, Australia
I've personally just used the 2mm ish clear plastic and loops as mentioned earlier. Light weight, stops bed end getting wet / canvas stays 100% dry. It also seems to make the ends feel considerably warmer, which was good staying near Cooma at temperatures around -3. The plastic is thin enough it can fold up with the standard privacy screens. It's survived the downpours in QLD, so a cheaper and effective option for around $35 total. Doesn't look as cool as the tailor made canvas though ..

simond

Jan 6, 2012
Adelaide SA
I've personally just used the 2mm ish clear plastic and loops as mentioned earlier. Light weight, stops bed end getting wet / canvas stays 100% dry. It also seems to make the ends feel considerably warmer, which was good staying near Cooma at temperatures around -3. The plastic is thin enough it can fold up with the standard privacy screens. It's survived the downpours in QLD, so a cheaper and effective option for around $35 total. Doesn't look as cool as the tailor made canvas though ..

Sounds Good Shadow, have you any pics so I get a clearer idea?

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
I'lll take a couple tomorrow and throw them up. I initially used press studs, although they weren't holding so well, so now just using some loops which I haven't had any issues with.

Making it:- basically just traced the privacy screen onto the plastic, with a 30mm fold at the top for some extra strength so it wouldn't tear. A few rings to thread the loops through and it was done..

andrea

Nov 9, 2011
Brisbane
You guys have inspired me to have a go at making some. I think I'm going to go for some upholstery vinyl, zippered corners, roll-up tags for each side and am thinking of running velco the whole three sides in the lid to attach it with. Does anyway see any obviously flaws with this plan? We don't have privacy covers so will be making the pattern from scratch.

crystal674

Jun 17, 2011
Benaraby Qld
Hi Andrea

We made bed end covers using waterproof vinyl.

Velcro didn't work, it kept pulling off.

We ended up punching holes in it and using the original cover over top.

PM us if you want more info.

shadow75

Aug 25, 2011
Sounds Good Shadow, have you any pics so I get a clearer idea?

G'day Simon & Sue,

A couple of quick pics - showing the loop used around the press stud, all folded up ready for stowage, and down in position.

AS can be seen, I used a 25-30mm fold (glue) at the top so it wouldn't rip.

It was thin plastic I got from spotlight whilst they had a 25% off sale.
P1060248.jpgP1060249.jpgP1060250.jpg