Smokey Pathy

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all, just wanted to see from others what there experience is with their pathy and smoke....

Mine always seems to blow a bit of black smack when you stick the foot down as its exirting unburnt fuel.

But as of late it seems to be even more evident as you are just loading the revs up to get up a hill.

Not a huge amount just noticeable but enough to tell its there.

She is not burning oil or anything...

Any one else have a similar experience?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We have nothing like that on our pathy. Do you have it chipped? I know that if you have the chip dialed up too far the will run too rich and produce smoke.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
My brother had one and started blowing black smoke and it ended up being a fault with the injector pump and the failure caused a piston to crack and required a full engine rebuild. He has done a clutch and also a gear box. His model is a 2005. So I hope you don't have as much bad luck as him. I had a D40 for six months and the engine started to knock. Diff was noisy. Google D40 navara/patchy issues and you will need some time to review the dramas. Good luck.

The engine rebuild cost 15k versus a new engine from Nissan 25k.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yeah I am concerned for you expanda. It would be worth getting the pathie to someone who can do some diagnosis on it sooner than later. If it is something more major you don't want to cause more damage.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
If I recall correctly (and please correct me if wrong), black smoke means the fuel air mix to too far in favour of fuel doesn't it? Or the other way to look at it is that the fuel isn't burning efficiently? Either way, it's not a 'good' smoke.
(White is water/coolant in the engine, Blue is oil, of which a small amount is ok at starting and acceleration)?

So if the above statement is accurate, then it could be a huge range of things......

A few questions:
How many kms has the engine done?
Has power significantly or gradually reduced?
Has fuel economy changed?
Any change in temp gauge?
Any rodents living in the air intake?

possible causes:
timing
poor fuel quality
failing ejectors
valve clearances
blocked air intakes - dirty filter
turbo charger not sucking enough air
engine not hot enough (lots of short drives)

If the o2 sensor was faulty, would that cause lack of air? Oil overfilled, and some went into turbo? (StuartCarr???)

Tried the pathy forum also for lots more possibles to check?

As mentioned above, diagnosis should be on the shortlist of stuff to get done

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
You have pretty much summed up what it could be SD, at least its a starting point.

Check your air filter too, have you driven anywhere dusty lately?

Has it slowly started getting worse or did it happen in a short period of time?

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
If I recall correctly (and please correct me if wrong), black smoke means the fuel air mix to too far in favour of fuel doesn't it? Or the other way to look at it is that the fuel isn't burning efficiently? Either way, it's not a 'good' smoke.
(White is water/coolant in the engine, Blue is oil, of which a small amount is ok at starting and acceleration)?

So if the above statement is accurate, then it could be a huge range of things......

A few questions:
How many kms has the engine done?
Has power significantly or gradually reduced?
Has fuel economy changed?
Any change in temp gauge?
Any rodents living in the air intake?

possible causes:
timing
poor fuel quality
failing ejectors
valve clearances
blocked air intakes - dirty filter
turbo charger not sucking enough air
engine not hot enough (lots of short drives)

If the o2 sensor was faulty, would that cause lack of air? Oil overfilled, and some went into turbo? (StuartCarr???)

Tried the pathy forum also for lots more possibles to check?

As mentioned above, diagnosis should be on the shortlist of stuff to get done
Could be any of those things.

THey do smoke under had accleration anyways. Anyone that says a pathy or D40 doesnt smoke a bit under load is FOS.

Brand new ones do it.

If is is heaps of smoke, it could be a blocked or leaking injector. I would start with cleaning the MAF sensor. A dirty one can cause issues.

Have a look and go from there...

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Cheers, all for the insights....

Couple of points its definetly fuel related she is not burning any excess oil so that rules out a leaky turbo seal or similiar.

I have been putting different fuel in her recently, usually I use the Caltex diesel which I find is a bit superior to other fuels (personal opinion) but its 10c a litre dearer in my local area than the independent brands so I have been filling up with the cheaper diesel not the caltex one.

It may be just coincedence that it has started now since using the cheaper fuel but out of interest this morning I filled up with the Caltex diesel full tank and I can notice a vast difference in revs and idle at the very least.

Not sure on smoke yet but responsives was much improved....

I am going to -

1) Clean the MAF
2) Run the next couple of tanks with caltex diesel

And see how she goes but ill be stuffed if it is the cheaper fuel :)

Also a very good article from racq

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/diesel_injector_cleaning

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
cheers, all for the insights....

Couple of points its definetly fuel related she is not burning any excess oil so that rules out a leaky turbo seal or similiar.

I have been putting different fuel in her recently, usually i use the caltex diesel which i find is a bit superior to other fuels (personal opinion) but its 10c a litre dearer in my local area than the independent brands so i have been filling up with the cheaper diesel not the caltex one.

It may be just coincedence that it has started now since using the cheaper fuel but out of interest this morning i filled up with the caltex diesel full tank and i can notice a vast difference in revs and idle at the very least.

Not sure on smoke yet but responsives was much improved....

I am going to -

1) clean the maf
2) run the next couple of tanks with caltex diesel

and see how she goes but ill be stuffed if it is the cheaper fuel :)

also a very good article from racq

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/diesel_injector_cleaning

hey expanda,

whats the latest re the pathy smoking, is it still on the patches. Lol. Maf cleaning get you anywhere? Ours is in need of new clutch, anyone got a spare 7 seater 2.5t towing capacity free for summer holiday.

Cheers pace.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Well the clutch went this week, was really nursing it. had a read through above link and yes as i knew what the outcome was going to happen exactly as D40's have. thanks Jaybird have saved it to my favourites now.

Anyone with a manual D40 or R51 and has clutch issues and your in Melbourne, look me up i got the info for you want to know though don't want to hear, but you will be forced to act on. after the week i've had, believe me!!!

Pace.

R51 CLUTCH.jpg
dual mass flywheel worn and heat affected
R51 CLUTCH (3).jpg
clutch plate worn to the rivets
R51 CLUTCH (4).jpg
pressure plate very heat affected and loss of pressure on the fingers too.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Well the clutch went this week, was really nursing it. had a read through above link and yes as i knew what the outcome was going to happen exactly as D40's have. thanks Jaybird have saved it to my favourites now.

Anyone with a manual D40 or R51 and has clutch issues and your in Melbourne, look me up i got the info for you want to know though don't want to hear, but you will be forced to act on. after the week i've had, believe me!!!

Pace.

View attachment 10792
dual mass flywheel worn and heat affected
View attachment 10793
clutch plate worn to the rivets
View attachment 10794
pressure plate very heat affected and lose of pressure on the fingers too.

We have an R51 2010. What problems did you have with the clutch? Our Pathfinder is our second car so not really used to tow the van.

The missus burnt out the clutch in my D-Max so we put in a HD from here http://www.xtremeclutch.com.au/en/catalogue pretty happy with it.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
Brookes,

It initially presented with slippage noted by free rev and no motion. evident in 5th driving the torque of the motor, usually on the on ramp to the freeway. Soon after it was felt in 4th same thing. then from standing start a couple times a clanking from the dual mass flywheel (80mm rotation measured, shouldn't be greater than 5mm), then the revs would take up the slack then slippage then eventual contact from the clutch. Same again soon after in reverse. This week though it was all the above every drive, worse once up to temperature, as can be seen by the removed components.

Repairer informed that these clutch assemblies go quickly once slippage occurs, from when i called to set up a potential fix date, then when early this week symptoms happened, called him up to book it in, slotted me in straight away. Here i was worried about the clutch when i returned to pick up Pathy repairer informed that i was even lucky to get it there, not only from the seen clutch components, though the crank sensor was cracked and didn't know it was working, guess some one was looking over me!!!

Have a look through the link from jaybird, lots of info there too. Cheers Pace.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Unfortunately, it seems to be more than just the Nav and Pathies suffering from these woes. There have been a lot of reports lately of manuals of all sorts failing too early. And the answer is always the same - replace with a heavy duty clutch /dual mass flywheel. You've got to ask why do the manufacturers insist on installing light duty and then saying it is suitable to tow 3000/3500kg????