Smergen's LTZ Colorado - The Rock Truck

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
And i changed my jocks for nothing...................................................

ON TOPIC..............Mr @Smergen next time you have your head under the bonnet, marvelling at the Holden brilliance, have a look at the top of the timing cover and let me know if it has VM Motori stamped on it....................reading the history of this engine manufacturer and I am curious to know if the later models have the same 2.8lt donk in them, they used them in the 2012 upgrade but I think it changed again, it may be the 2016 that has one from elsewhere...the company has a curious ownership history.......GM, Chysler, Detroit, Fiat.................

Will have a look next time... But it's all wires and hoses under there... I'm a complete novice when it comes to these modern cars....

On another note, finally got the 12pin at the rear wired as per New Age spec, and can now confirm the car powers the fridge when connected. So that's something.

Reactions: davemc and Drover

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Yea good points it is a good state we have some great car parks they call freeways back to your truck sorry to off the beaten track ha ha get it lol
Not exclusive to Vic, we have those too
You are joking right? Let me see...
  • Melbourne - sporting capital and Victoria the sporting state.
  • High Country
  • Goldfields district
  • Wilsons Prom and the Gippsland area
  • Otways
  • Great Ocean Rd
  • Proximity of all these places to each other (usually less than a day)
  • Great food culture
  • Great coffee culture
  • 4 actual seasons as opposed to "a really humid one and a really dry one"
  • The ability to have snow and beach
  • No canetoads (yet)
  • Affordable lifestyle...
Geez... where do I stop?

So inviting! I'm getting the packing boxes out.

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since my nearest traffic light is some 60km away, a freeway is a drive along the beach to Noosa and a car park is a spot with lines in front of the fish and chip shop.......................you lot must be on another planet............................PLUS in QLD we have the greatest RUGBY LEAGUE Teams, The Maroons and The Cowboys and heaps of things to sting or eat you if you go swimming.

The Cape, Barra Fishing, XXXX, Karumba and the odd big wind.....Helga, Ingrid and their mates form Sweden.

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
Well deposit down on the this mod... Not going to give away what or how I went about it, as it's a little left of field and not your "standard" set up. Keep everyone in suspense. Should have more to update before Xmas on this front.

Rock Truck Mod update....

Last night completed the install of the worlds biggest Fridge Slide.... :)

No, we decided to invest in an Ezi Reach cargo tray as our storage solution for the Rock Truck. Pics as below but the main drivers were:
  • Access to the back and ease of loading
  • Access to gear, fridge included for Mrs Smergs who physically couldn't access anything more than a foot inside the tailgate and nothing through the windows
  • Allows us to carry bulky items when in "normal" mode without fridge installed
  • Great Australian product with high quality components
  • Positive reviews and great customer service
  • Should be flexible for our Big Trip to allow us to change storage requirements if needed
Overall I am very impressed with the product from every aspect from order to delivery and finally installation. It is an extremely high quality piece of equipment which is good considering how much I paid (about the price of a good set of drawers). The side wings are brilliant and I can't wait to experiment over the next few months as to how best store our gear.

As a QA, I sat on the draw fully extended (at 100kgs) with no issue, and also bounced up and down on it. It shook the whole truck and showed no signs of movement or noise. I've every confidence that this will hold the 400kgs worth of load it's design brief quotes. Not that I'll be using that payload.

There wasn't a lot around on the net in terms of reviews of it, but I spoke to the owner as well as a (very happy) customer down this way who sent through pics of him using his, and took the leap of faith. I'm confident I've made the right leap. Mrs Smergs is very happy and can operate it easily so there in itself is the success story.

Final approval will be in its use, but first impressions are that it should handle that with ease as well.

And now for the pics:

Delivery
The unit came delivered mounted to a very strong metal frame with everything tied or bolted down. Extremely impressed with this and there wasn't a mark on it. Had #3 help me unbolt it, and eventually slid it out of the frame.
20161219_170307.jpg 20161219_173109.jpg 20161219_174307.jpg

Install
Alignment was relatively easy and the sub-frame specifically sized for the Colorado. A few minor movements here and there, and it was out with the drill. A two man job for sure, but really it was a straight forward process. Just mind where you are drilling through to. Unit is held in by 6 high tensile bolts (provided) with nylock nuts and large washers (all provided). Wings simply bolted and screwed on with all the provided fittings. I needed nothing but the spanners and drills from my shed to complete the install.
20161220_172235.jpg 20161220_193521.jpg 20161220_193537.jpg

Final
I think the pics tell the story. Multiple tie down points, with fridge mounts installed flush into the floor so that it doesn't affect use if fridge is out of the vehicle. Everything is powdercoated for durability and protection from rust. The only thing I'll add is a piece of rubberised matting for the tray floor to cushion anything in the tray.
20161220_203127.jpg 20161220_203141.jpg 20161220_203214.jpg 20161220_203233.jpg 20161220_203307.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Like it!

Makes far more sense for a ute than the high mounted drop down ones.

and I'm glad we finally got to know what it was.....my eyes were tired from watching this space.

I reckon you'll get lots of use from it and save clambering over everything.

Reactions: Bluey and Smergen

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
It looks great @Smergen and ticks all the right boxes for the big trip. How is the fridge held in? Do you strap it or can you bolt it from underneath?

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
It looks great @Smergen and ticks all the right boxes for the big trip. How is the fridge held in? Do you strap it or can you bolt it from underneath?

Thanks mate. Will get the first run tonight as I pack for Xmas. As for the fridge there are mounts in the tray that you can either hook onto or run a strap around.

20161219_174501.jpg

Reactions: 17triton

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That's why my Colorado has a shed on the back, everything can be reached from ground level, even by a short arse like me, I'd end up getting my fingers chopped up in one of those fridge slides.................

Reactions: dagree and rcf

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Thanks mate. Will get the first run tonight as I pack for Xmas. As for the fridge there are mounts in the tray that you can either hook onto or run a strap around.

View attachment 46805
On the bottom of my fridge slide it has holes in it to suit Engle ,weaco and others and I just removed the rubber feet and screwed through from underneath. No straps required which is good.

Reactions: JS4910 and Smergen