Site Update

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey expanda, since the site update, the predictive text function seems to be predicting waaaayyyy to much when typing. Especially if I misspell something and then back arrow and then retype. It wants to replace two words for one.
Other things like automatically defaulting in a capital letter fort the start of a new sentence no longer happens.

Do you have any settings that adjust how all of this works?
I am using the iPad.

expanda I'm getting default capitals too using andriod mobile (though i'm at computer now). Pace

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Interesting....

So in mobile devices when typing text regardless of the editor it has an option to do the following -

1) Default first letter to caps

2) Predictive text

Having said that I am installing Apples Mountain Lion in a virtual machine and will run an IOS emulator to see how the site behaves with Apple in particular and will test android with a tablet i have here.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Just got lion installed in vmware on windows 7 so will commence some testing...

Just need to get ios now as well....

Brad if you can give some steps to replicate your issues it would be appreciated :)!

Also are you on ios 6 or 5 and are you using safari / chrome or something else?

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Oops... I posted my test case in the other thread expanda.
I see it most when you backspace over a word to restyle something else.
Use the following sentence for testing.

Peter piper picked a pack of peppers.

Type this:
Peter piper picked

Then backspace to pi in picked.
Then re type picked.
See attachment below for what it predicted.
image.jpg

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Cheers @Brad and @Capt. Gadget

So couple of things, firstly I am not trying to discount the issue and have gone to subsequent lengths to replicate the issue and will continue to test against IOS and Lion as well....

But a coulpe of points -

1) Predicative text is built by Apple and the editor or forum software has any control over what it predicts and how / when it predicts something. This is however configurable by the browsers / os and you can disable predictive text completely

2) Chrome seems to be alot more manageble than the base safari browser provider by Apple I would suggest you try it out its a free app and much better than safari imo

All said and done there is a bit of work being done behind the scenes to correct the editor but it would seem that what is being fixed in terms of the editor will not change what you are experiencing here as this is an Apple issue.

Again not trying to discount it and I am still testing from my end but from what has been posted here and my initial insights to IOS this is what I can see is happening.

In fact I am typing this message from a Safari browser!!!!

@Brad have you tried to chrome with the same steps and seen how it handles it?

Cheers....

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I tried typing the same string into an email On my iPad and seeing if I can replicate the same issue.
It works perfectly through email.
Same for the Facebook app on the iPad.
Tried incredimal, pages and a couple of other apps that have editors on the iPad and all work as expected.

You mention that the forum software has no control over it, but perhaps we have found a bug no one else has come across. Is there someone else in that community that could test on their end to confirm if they get the same issue?

Let me know if you want me to try some other combinations.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
I tried typing the same string into an email On my iPad and seeing if I can replicate the same issue.
It works perfectly through email.
Same for the Facebook app on the iPad.
Tried incredimal, pages and a couple of other apps that have editors on the iPad and all work as expected.

You mention that the forum software has no control over it, but perhaps we have found a bug no one else has come across. Is there someone else in that community that could test on their end to confirm if they get the same issue?

Let me know if you want me to try some other combinations.

I have raised with the xenforo guys and some of the developers / mods there actually use Ipad and they all have no issues but have disabled predictive text....

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Turned off the predictive text function on my iPad. [Settings~General~Keyboard]
Typing nicely now. Only left "auto capitalisation" and "check spelling" on.
Using iCab Mobile as browser.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Turned off the predictive text function on my iPad. [Settings~General~Keyboard]
Typing nicely now. Only left "auto capitalisation" and "check spelling" on.
Using iCab Mobile as browser.

Yes apple predictive text :)!!!

Still investigating though to see if it is a bug on the editor causing it to be more aggressive!!

Reactions: Xpandafan

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Brad

If you remember how the buttons where not appearing for ipads?

I am going to remove something that added those buttons in later today and will let you know but once I have done this if you could re test it would be good.

Cheers....
Sorry expanda I didn't see this till now.
let me know when ready.