14' Series Setting up bunks for babies

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
We are soon to pick up a 2nd hand 14.44 bunk van and im wondering what people have done in the past to convert or make the bunks a bit safer for babies to sleep on? We have a 20 month old little boy who is very mobile and only used to sleeping in a cot still with sides up and a 4 month old little girl who obviously doesnt move much yet.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We are soon to pick up a 2nd hand 14.44 bunk van and im wondering what people have done in the past to convert or make the bunks a bit safer for babies to sleep on? We have a 20 month old little boy who is very mobile and only used to sleeping in a cot still with sides up and a 4 month old little girl who obviously doesnt move much yet.

Hey Ben most of the Jayco bunk beds come with side rails. Ours has, I think there was even a mesh railing you could get for the expanda bed at one stage. Might be worth inquiring of Jayco, sometimes there spares and options are quite reasonable other times not

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I built a cot in my bottom bunk plus we had a side opening porta cot when he was smaller now 2 and a 4 year old we still have porta cot its phil and teds if your interested can find pic of the cot will look to see what page its on but i think i posted a thread about it get back to me if you need more info its easy

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Cheers, will check out what jayco has to offer.

Yes bluey that would be good if you could pass on some more info when you get time.

Reactions: Delano

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
thanks @dagree still don't know how you do that be buggered if I can find the post I put on about the cot build @spiderpig we will be near you at Christmas going to murramarang nmra resort then lake tabourie then Culburra beach 1 week at each anyway PM me your phone number I will call you its not very hard to put cot in easier to chat on phone can put more pics on if you want our side opening porta cot went in our bed end while we had it there it was great as I said @spiderpig PM me if you want to

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Cheers, will check out what jayco has to offer.

Yes bluey that would be good if you could pass on some more info when you get time.
I found it its in general discussion under cot fitted in 1756-2 on june the 10th have a look

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Piece of cake @Bluey. :typing:

Find the post you want to refer to, at the top of the screen you will see the address (www,xxxxxxxx etc). Highlight it and hit 'ctl c' to copy then go back to where you want to post the link, and highlight the word/s you wish to use for the link. On the bar, click on the chain link, 7th logo in from left
upload_2015-11-25_10-58-19.png

and a small window will appear. Hit 'ctl v' and it will paste the link in there.

Done. Good luck.

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
With kids that young I wouldn't recommend using the top bunk. Stick yourself on the bottom bunk and wife can co-sleep with both bubs in the double or you could sleep on top bunk and 20mth old on bottom with a rail. It's why we are looking at a 17.56.2 so I can continue to co-sleep with my 15mth old and hubby gets the other double bed (my older 2 boys get the bunks). You could convert the dinette otherwise if you don't like the idea of sleeping in a bunk. Or are you planning on using a porta cot @spiderpig ?

Last edited:

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
Thanks all. That looks great bluey, will send you a pm. Will have to suss out what i can do for the other rat bag (5 month old) on the top bunk when i pick the van up and have a look in it. Next Wednesday hopefully :)

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

spiderpig

Nov 7, 2015
Canberra
@FiveInAVan I am Hubby :) But wifey is very keen to keep me in the double bed with her, which im not complaining about.

Think top bunk will be fine for a little while for the 5 month old as she cant move much at the moment but will definitely need to come up with a plan in a few months time.

Reactions: FiveInAVan

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
@FiveInAVan I am Hubby :) But wifey is very keen to keep me in the double bed with her, which im not complaining about.

Think top bunk will be fine for a little while for the 5 month old as she cant move much at the moment but will definitely need to come up with a plan in a few months time.

Ha ha yeah sorry I just realised that and edited my post. My 6 month old rolled off our bed which had a bedrail so please don't leave bub on top bunk for too many months as it's a long way to fall and once bub is sitting up they become mobile very quickly as I am sure you know. You are game with two young kids in tow! My hubby has been making us hold off getting a van until our youngest is a bit older. But more because she hates long car trips than anything. Best of luck with the new van!