16' Series Roof Sealing Issues on our 2006 Model

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey everyone

Just a quick post regarding what I found over the weekend. I knew we had alittle bit of water coming in through the pop top from time to time but nothing to worry us too much.

Thought with a big trip coming up I would get up and touch up the roof seal so we wouldn't have too many issues...

Found this
IMG_1185.JPG

3 hours later, 2 stanley knife blades and a tube of sikaflex I had the roof resealed including the vent and the corner pieces. In some places where I was removing the old stuff, it just came away by itself.

I won't be leaving it too long this time for checking the roof or other places for that matter to ensure that all is well. Especially with the older vans, the sealant may not be holding up too well.

Cheers

Gil

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Yep, I had ours resealed within 3 years....it started to get fine cracks like that but not as bad. Better to be safe I recon!

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
there is a uv resistant sikaflex jointing compound that should withstand cracking as per above images. i'll ask dealer if they use this as they roof repair our van from hail damage storm last christmas.cheers.

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
there is a uv resistant sikaflex jointing compound that should withstand cracking as per above images. i'll ask dealer if they use this as they roof repair our van from hail damage storm last christmas.cheers.

Hey pace, the stuff I used was the Sikaflex-11FC white that was recommended by a couple of people in the know.

It will last a lot longer than silicone especially for the harsh environments like full sun and rain.

Shame about the hail damage, was it bad?

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I had to do the same thing on our new van, and had to re-seal parts of our roof after it leaked badly in the rain. No problems since i had a go. My issues were from a poor job in the first place not covering all areas, not cracking sealant. Though i will keep an eye out for that too now.

Roof leak.jpg

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey Pace, that would have been heart breaking. By the sounds of it, you were setup at the time. Bit rough. :(

Moto, not bad for a new van. Must have been a Friday job.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the stuff I used is the adhesive/sealant not just the sealent. That should keep the roof a little stonger but still move/expand/contract as required.

Going out to LandCrusier Park this weekend with a few others, will see how we go.

Cheers.

Coastrunner

Mar 18, 2012
South Coast NSW
www.expandasdownunder.com
I used to go over my old vans roof every 12 months with Butal Mastic. It`s similar to silicon but a little easier to remove before re applying the following year. I think leaving your van outside in the sun takes its toll on things, especially the roof sealant.

My advice. if your van is left outside all year round exposed to the elements then its worth while going over the roof with sealant every year.

When I did this every 12 months, my 25 year old viscount remained leak free.

i`m hoping to get a carport made up for the storage of my Expanda soon.