Robs 2013 17.56-2 OB

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Well it's the big day tommorow - heading to pick up the cheque, and then to pick up the van! To top it off our TV arrived today as well. Now just to work out how on earth to get this thin into my driveway!! :s

same same... I've go the cheque and will be waiting at the dealer for the gates to open :) happy days!

Hi Guys,

We've had a good morning. A slgiht hiccup getting to the bank, and needing to add a WDH as I wasn't real happy with the way the Prado sunk with the van on. I really think it towed better than the Swan did, and whilst a challenge, slow and steady did win the race. I took it so slow when reversin into the driveway I actually got out half way down and took a phot - I'll pop some up tongiht!

The better half is now at home trying to frantically pack so we're ready to go away tomorrow night! All are very excited!!

Ligedy, how did you go?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Low and slow, as Pace says. Take heart, tonight's drive thru site has the local swimming pool at one end! More unintended reversing practice. No trees damaged and still dry. Mrs XF says I'm getting better (hastened to add "only at reversing the Expanda") Been thru a couple of RV Friendly Towns too (I think it means they won't throw stones at your van) Few leave enough space for parking vans without overhanging tree branches, bollards or whatever to test you. And tiny roundabouts...lucky none were planted is all I'll say.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Hi Guys,

We've had a good morning. A slgiht hiccup getting to the bank, and needing to add a WDH as I wasn't real happy with the way the Prado sunk with the van on. I really think it towed better than the Swan did, and whilst a challenge, slow and steady did win the race. I took it so slow when reversin into the driveway I actually got out half way down and took a phot - I'll pop some up tongiht!

The better half is now at home trying to frantically pack so we're ready to go away tomorrow night! All are very excited!!

Ligedy, how did you go?

Yeah all good here Robert - how good does it feel to have it parked it your own driveway !!!

My Navara sank a little in the arse end and when more gear is jammed in the back the WDH will definitely ride better as the front felt lighter than usual (my ball weight is stamped at 203kg).

Got home and ended up ripping out the letter box to make access to the pre-trip setup area more accessible (the only bit of semi-level land I have). Now it’s just another thing I have to reinstated before going away so the postie doesn’t get the wrong idea.

I will have to reverse up the side of the yard on my return for storage but won’t have a chance if the grass is damp so looks like some unwanted civil works / expense may be required.

Good luck to the better half – my wifey has an extra two days up her sleeve but still feels under the pump to get it setup before the trip away (even I’m stumped as to where all the gear will fit).

Cheers Ligedy

Well we've had our first night, and nearly our first carton I the new van.

The trip up consisted of the usual fun getting the breaking settings right.

Upon getting onto the site first time we opened up and found we lost 4 soldiers... it looks like the fridge didn't latch correctly... We'll check that on the way home and determine whether or not it was user error or a latch error.

Today saw Cootay arrive in Soldiers Point and between us we managed to replicate his baby jail. Now we are able to reclaim our table, and bub has her own bed. A massive thanks again for the help. We only stripped a couple of screws, yet managed not to eed to put a hole in the Jayco!

We're watching the clouds roll in and now wondering if we will be testing the water proofing tonight.

All in all a great trip so far. I do promise to get some pics up soon!

Cheers,
Rob

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Glad to hear its all going well, would love to see some pics!
Would be great if you can let me know what Soldiers Point is like and do a review on the camps thread.
Have a great trip!

Well we're back home, all in one piece. The Expanda definately held its own for the weekend. A couple of wet days, a coupel of very hot days and we had no dramas. I was expecting to encounter a whole lot of little issues but to be honest, we didn't find anything.

We did have a bit of a hiccup in the park though. 2 kids on one of the hired 2 seater bikes ran into our Prado, so it's off to the panel beaters on Friday. Not a biggie and no one got hurt which was the main thing.

Time to begin the mods :) Definately need some storage reconfiguration for the front boot - all thrown in just doesn't work! Then on to shelves in the cupboard, Mattress topper and mounting a whole lot of hooks and racks etc.. I'm going to be trawling the forum for a while I think!

I'll get onto a review as well!

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Good to hear the first trip went smoothly!
Let me know what you come up with for the front boot. I can't stand it all thrown in. Needs sorting ASAP.
I copied another members mod (sorry, can't remember who) of storing the water and sullage hoses on hooks inside the front lid. Works a treat, and now there's more room in the trunk, but still a mess.....

Good to hear the first trip went smoothly!
Let me know what you come up with for the front boot. I can't stand it all thrown in. Needs sorting ASAP.
I copied another members mod (sorry, can't remember who) of storing the water and sullage hoses on hooks inside the front lid. Works a treat, and now there's more room in the trunk, but still a mess.....
That is a good idea - I was thinking Hooks or at least a "looped" holder that is attached to the side walls for those as well. The Jack handle & drop jack winder also need a spot!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Nice to read your thread Rob. It's great fun picking up and going on the first trip.
Check out suction cup and 'over door' options for hooks and shelves etc.
For hose storage, I have mine in a 'hose bag' sitting on top of the spare tyre and I have 1 x 20m and 2 x 10m sullage hoses stuffed into the chassis rails.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi Rob, I should mention that the hooks I use inside the front lid hold 3kgs each and are by 3M and removable.
Another thing I did was buy a 550mm Alko winder. The one that Jayco supplies is 1100mm and ridiculously and unnecessarily long.

Nice to read your thread Rob. It's great fun picking up and going on the first trip.
Check out suction cup and 'over door' options for hooks and shelves etc.
For hose storage, I have mine in a 'hose bag' sitting on top of the spare tyre and I have 1 x 20m and 2 x 10m sullage hoses stuffed into the chassis rails.
That is a great idea. My old man was thinking of deploying some PVC ppupe underneath his for Sullage hoses, but if I can use the chassis rail that's even less work!

Hi Rob, I should mention that the hooks I use inside the front lid hold 3kgs each and are by 3M and removable.
Another thing I did was buy a 550mm Alko winder. The one that Jayco supplies is 1100mm and ridiculously and unnecessarily long.

Thanks Lara, I actually had to drop one of our jacks with a socket wrench due to a tree in a terrible position. Where did you get the smaller winder from?

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Thanks Lara, I actually had to drop one of our jacks with a socket wrench due to a tree in a terrible position. Where did you get the smaller winder from?[/quote]

Got my Alko winder from caravans plus for a bargain $12. There are other online caravan stores that sell them too.
Like you, we also carry a socket set. When we bring the Expanda home it's parked hard up against a wall and no winder no matter how small can get to that side.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks Lara, I actually had to drop one of our jacks with a socket wrench due to a tree in a terrible position. Where did you get the smaller winder from?

Got my Alko winder from caravans plus for a bargain $12. There are other online caravan stores that sell them too.
Like you, we also carry a socket set. When we bring the Expanda home it's parked hard up against a wall and no winder no matter how small can get to that side.[/quote]

I've got the same issue but I cheat on this one. I've got a $20 rechargeable drill from bunnings that lives with the van. Makes doing the jacks fun!

Reactions: Lara

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Like you, we also carry a socket set. When we bring the Expanda home it's parked hard up against a wall and no winder no matter how small can get to that side.

I've got the same issue but I cheat on this one. I've got a $20 rechargeable drill from bunnings that lives with the van. Makes doing the jacks fun![/quote]

Fun and fast! Another thing to be added to my tool bag!