Relgate's 17.56.2 OB

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
What great attention to detail! Yes, I took them off to check the wheel nuts. every 100kms for the first 400.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey relgate, did you find any of the wheel nuts needed to be nipped up along the way? Also how many hrs do you think it took to get to dealers? I'll add about 2hrs coming from Newy! How did you go with rego, did you need to weigh?

Cheers.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hi Antman
I'm not sure what you mean in the above question. I didn't see my van at the tour, just another batch on their way through. Sorry if it didnt read that way.
In terms of my Van's progress, I was given a number of updates about finish date, which turned out to be pretty acurate.

Hey Relgate
No didn't mean that you actually saw it coming down the line. LOL. I have seen quite a number of people who have ordered new vans mention that their van is "coming down the line" to be built so they have quite a good idea of when their van will be ready to collect from dealer or factory etc. My dealer has given me dates but i was just wondering if some people had been calling jayco direct to try to get a more accurate time frame that was all.

BTW: Van looks awesome and the little fella looked pretty happy too. :)

antman

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Nice Setup Relgate!! you might want to watch your towing capacity on the Hilux though... Although they are WAY underated by Toyota I think you might find that your van is Heaver (ATM) than your towing capacity. Sorry to be the bearer but better knowing now than when its too late!! I love the new vans, always look so shiny!!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Nice Setup Relgate!! you might want to watch your towing capacity on the Hilux though... Although they are WAY underated by Toyota I think you might find that your van is Heaver (ATM) than your towing capacity. Sorry to be the bearer but better knowing now than when its too late!! I love the new vans, always look so shiny!!

Hi Bigman
Thanks for looking out for me. However, I'm well aware of the Hilux's (poor) towing capacity
My plan is to try to keep it light and only go with the tanks half full if I can.
Lease for the 'lux is up next year so I'll probably upgrade to something with a better capacity.

Thanks again for your concern

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hey Relgate
No didn't mean that you actually saw it coming down the line. LOL. I have seen quite a number of people who have ordered new vans mention that their van is "coming down the line" to be built so they have quite a good idea of when their van will be ready to collect from dealer or factory etc. My dealer has given me dates but i was just wondering if some people had been calling jayco direct to try to get a more accurate time frame that was all.

BTW: Van looks awesome and the little fella looked pretty happy too. :)

antman

LOL. Didnt really know when it was on the line, just the dealers updates as above. When I was at the factory I couldnt believe how fast the vans go together. It's awesome how many they pump out each day. If you blinked you'd miss yours anyway!

Yes, little boy is stked. He keeps singning the "Expanda song" as made famous by this youtube clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUoMOALwYRE
Classic!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hey relgate, did you find any of the wheel nuts needed to be nipped up along the way? Also how many hrs do you think it took to get to dealers? I'll add about 2hrs coming from Newy! How did you go with rego, did you need to weigh?

Cheers.

One of the wheels seemed to need a tiny nip on 2 of the stops. I'm not sure if i imagined it!

I went via Wagga. It took about 6 to get there, and then 6 to get to seaford. Both trips incuded a petrol stop, a toilet stop and a maccas stop.
Same for the way home. Proabably 5hrs driving for each leg

Where are you getting your van from again?

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Geelong, I'm thinking about 12hrs plus stops! What about your rego....any dramas?

Cheers.

Didn't need to get it weighed, He said I would have too, but told him i didn't because it was stamped on the compliance plate and I also had the original weigh ticket in with the documents. I guess he was just being thorough.

Havent been to the RTA yet, but I'm sure that will just be a formality. Blue slip (actually a pnik and brown slip) cost me $75.00

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Well done Relgate. Excellent info, good that your young bloke enjoyed himself and was well looked after. I agree your rego should go straight through, mine did coming from NSW to Queensland. Good luck and enjoy.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Our Shakedown trip

Had our first (shakedown) trip this weekend!
Went for 2 nights at Umina Ocean beach resort.
Only took us about 1.5hrs to get there and no probs towing the van. Was a little rushed in packing, didnt ever really work out where everything was going so we ended up travelling with the floor covered in bags and sheets, and nothing in the storage areas!
Arrived mid morning and checked in. this was a breeze. The place we go for Christmas camping is always a nightmare. Unfriendly staff and disorganized. Umina had it under control. Park was pretty empty. We got to our slab. My first time on a bit of concrete. No trouble reversing in as I have trailers for work, but it was still a tricky angle because of the narrow road. I would ot like to do it when the park is full!
Set up was dead easy. My wife is loving it. We used to have an old camper trailer and i would spend an hour setting up while my wife would take the kids away to play. Now she just goes straight for the food and her bits and pieces while I get the beds etc out. 7 year old is in charge of levelling and drop jacks, 5 year old helps with bags etc and 2 year old still gets in the way.

Had 4 other families come to stay over the weekend with tents, spent most of the time under our awning. Very cold at night so we set up the annex for the second night and it was great. I even ran the air con with the van door open and the annex all closed up. it made a huge difference in the annex and was pleasantly warm (until the kids started to overheat in their beds!). What luxury.

The van shower and toilet is great. So convenient on a cold night to not have to take 3 kids to a shower/toilet block. We hammered the toilet over the weekend to test it out. It filled after 24 hours, so I had to empty it twice, but I don't really mind. In future we might only use it when 'necessary' as I'm guessing the chemical cost will add up.
Water pressure wasn't great so I supplemented with the pump while having a shower. Also, got some of those 'micro fibre' towels that are like big chamois. I was a little dubious but after a weekend of use I am a convert. I'm seriously thinking of using one at home! I cant ever seem to get fully dry with a normal towel, but with the micro fibre I was quickly dry, and the towel didn't seem to get wet. How does that work?! Never had a prob with the hot water. didn't ever run out. had it on 240v only.

Outdoor shower paid for itself. Used it for washing the BBQ hotplate. So easy. Also showered sand off the kids after the beach. It was good having warm water as there was a chill in the air.

Found a few very minor warranty issues to add to the list. I have sent Jayco a spreadsheet on all the defects. Nothing I'm sure they wont fix, and nothing too out of the ordinary. We did have an issue with getting the wrong rear bed mattress, and we were a little worried about the girls sleeping arrangements. Once again Page Bros exceeded our expectations by couriering a mattress up from Melbourne so we were all set for the trip.

Pack up was heaven. We took our time as we were trying to find permanent spots for everything, but it was so easy to get it all away without fuss. Annex, awning, bed ends and pop top only took a matter of 20 mins I reckon, and I was taking it slow, talking most of the time!

I forgot to take photos of the trip as I was too busy having fun and fiddling with the van, but I'll see if I can ad one of my wife's pics later.

Not sure if I should post this, but here is a link to a vid of me and 3 mates getting our fathers day presents. Don't we look cool? We wore them out to dinner that night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mxLZR7Vrwo

Reactions: blacky

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Great stuff Daddy Cool :)!!!!

Love Umina our favourite spot for weekends away from the rat race and great fishing if you are into it....

Its great reading your thread from the order day to know enjoying yourself in it well done!

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Great report mate, looks like you had a fun weekend.....I think you could market those shirts! :)

Cheers.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Great stuff Daddy Cool :)!!!!

Love Umina our favourite spot for weekends away from the rat race and great fishing if you are into it....

Its great reading your thread from the order day to know enjoying yourself in it well done!

Thanks Expanda.
I'll have to go back and read it again. It's a dream come true. I keep pinching myself.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Great report mate, looks like you had a fun weekend.....I think you could market those shirts! :)

Cheers.

Not sure who would buy them... :confused:

When we went out for dinner at the local club wearing the shirts, I felt a little like I was on 'Priscilla queen of the dessert'