Relgate's 17.56.2 OB

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi All
Thanks to all of the help on this forum, lots of good advise, ideas and encouragement, we have now finally placed our order!!!:whoo:
Here it is:
17.65.2 OB
With extras...
Roll out awning
roof mounted AC
Privacy screens
wind up antenna
CD/DVD with internal/external speakers
150L fridge
external picnic table
1 x solar 90W
battery pack, control panel, 2 100amp batteries
12v fridge fan
Shelved to robe
Full oven
external gas bayonet at front
external shower
extended drawbar with gas bottles placed against van body.
annex
Extra powerpoint and 12v under dining table
Extra powerpoint and 12v under bunk table
outdoor light above outdoor shower

It will be a long wait from here.
We are yet to choose the fabric, but leaning towards the dark blue options
Need fit out the Tug with brake control and breakaway alarm
Also need to widen the driveway and think about some kind of system to manouvere the van into place. Nothing too serious, will just need to get it into place and then slide it about 1m the the left. I'll keep you posted.
Also need to change my signature!

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Well done - looks like a great list very similar to ours - Hopefully your inner springs will be as comfortable as you hope! - Glad to be of help!

Just one thing you may want to consider if you are keen to alter anything - We are really pleased with our 17.56-2 and thought through alot of what we wanted and got a stack of extras, however one thing I would change or add is a 2nd picnic table. There is enough room to put 2 picnic tables between the fridge vents and roll out awning arm - this would give you so much extra flexibility with outside cooking etc. In hindsight I would have ordered either 2 picnic tables side by side or none at all and put my own on aftermarket. We are now going to get another picnic table - but have to take the preorded one off and move it so we have room to add the 2nd one - will create some holes for filling but these should be covered up aesthetically when the 2nd picnic table is folded up. Also will have to order some new decals to put on and match. If we had thought this through before hand it would have saved alot of hassle

Make sure you specify well where you want things to go -there are a few options for the control panel - dont put it down too low as it is hard to get down and read it. We are very happy with where we have positioned ours. Also be very clear about what material you want the table tops to be and have that written down on the order!

Reactions: relgate

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks BBM
I will consider the picnic table. Your post is the first i have seen that mentions a second table. Does anyone else have one?
Yes, I like your control panel idea, yours is up next to the sink isn't it?

One other thing on my mind is the extra gas outlet. I have ordered one at the front of the van, but I hear that a lot of people wish they had two, front and rear. I assume this is for flexability of set up and to avoid prevailing winds. I still have a little time to think about it i guess. Only $100 or so extra but you have to stop somewhere!

Sinko

Mar 21, 2011
Victoria
relgate,
We have bayonet fitting front and rear and have used both - I would recommend adding.

We also have an extra light on the door side of the van that is at the front (outside the annex) and this is also very handy too.

I also had an extra jockey wheel clamp fitted to the inside of the A frame as I too need to move the van by hand to put it away and having the 2nd bracket makes it really easy to take the van off the car, then raise it using the standard wheel so I can put on the ratchet wheel (hope that made sense!!). By getting it added now it was all galvanised etc at the same time.

A TV point and extra power outlet were also optioned for us and we regularly put the TV outside - especially when the footy is on!!

Just my 2 bobs worth

Sinko

Reactions: blacky

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
relgate,
We have bayonet fitting front and rear and have used both - I would recommend adding.

We also have an extra light on the door side of the van that is at the front (outside the annex) and this is also very handy too.

I also had an extra jockey wheel clamp fitted to the inside of the A frame as I too need to move the van by hand to put it away and having the 2nd bracket makes it really easy to take the van off the car, then raise it using the standard wheel so I can put on the ratchet wheel (hope that made sense!!). By getting it added now it was all galvanised etc at the same time.

A TV point and extra power outlet were also optioned for us and we regularly put the TV outside - especially when the footy is on!!

Just my 2 bobs worth

Sinko

All good food for thought. In my case I need to slide the van sidways by about 1 metre. I cant manouvere it in the normal manner. I had a look at those "Go Jacks" http://www.gotools.com.au/GoJack.htm
They're a great idea but perhaps not entirely practical for me as I wont be able to access them once in position and they will be outside. I'm not sure they are designed for being permanently outdoors.
My thoughts are to build a little track with dollys (skateboards). I'll drive the van onto the dollys then push it sidways. Sounds easy...

I toyed with the TV outside but I would like to think I'm more into the tranquility of nature. :) Maybe I can walk over to your van when the footy is on...

Four of us

Apr 27, 2011
Ipswich QLD
hi relgate

i will give you my two cents worth too. we have your extras list just not the oven.

-definately specify exactly where you want everything and have it on paper.

-we didn't go the extra bayonette but we wish we had of because not always can you park van the way you would prefer and usually the hot sun is up the end our bayonette is and the shade at the other.

-specify how many shelves in cupboard

-our control panel is at the top of our stairs so hubby can reach without going into van wet if using outside shower or easy access for when filling up and perfect height for reading when inside and needing to check levels.

-we use our outdoor table for an outside tv mostly and wouldn't have a use for a second outdoor table.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
Advise getting the 2nd bayonet - flexibility makes life so much easier. Regarding the 2nd table it depends how you are going to live in the caravan. We do alot of living outside so hence use a gas stove on the external table, weber (on its own portable stand). A second table would be great for preperation of food or storage of items when you are camped for a few days and not wanting to go back inside - eg sunscreen, salt and pepper, sugar( for the cuppa), or even the TV. It is difficult to do any of this prereration of our fold up camp table as it is often used for board or card games or drawing by the kids or at mealtimes with with 6 in our family it does not have any extra space. The other alternative is to buy a seperate fold out camptable - but that is just another thing to pack and unpack into the van - when it is easier to flip an external table up or down for the food preparation. One of our primary reasons for getting the van was to make pack up set up quicker and enhance a trip around Aust for 12 months (in a couple of years time) So because we will be living in the van alot we think that the 2nd flip down external table will be pretty valuable. However if you think that most of your living and food prep will be inside then perhaps the 2nd table would be an overkill.

Just a thought - why not get one table but ask for it to be as close to the fridge vents as possible- saying that you would like the option to put on another 80cm table if possible aftermarket if you feel you need it after a few trips (although you may end up with 2 different types/looks of tables)

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Advise getting the 2nd bayonet - flexibility makes life so much easier. Regarding the 2nd table it depends how you are going to live in the caravan. We do alot of living outside so hence use a gas stove on the external table, weber (on its own portable stand). A second table would be great for preperation of food or storage of items when you are camped for a few days and not wanting to go back inside - eg sunscreen, salt and pepper, sugar( for the cuppa), or even the TV. It is difficult to do any of this prereration of our fold up camp table as it is often used for board or card games or drawing by the kids or at mealtimes with with 6 in our family it does not have any extra space. The other alternative is to buy a seperate fold out camptable - but that is just another thing to pack and unpack into the van - when it is easier to flip an external table up or down for the food preparation. One of our primary reasons for getting the van was to make pack up set up quicker and enhance a trip around Aust for 12 months (in a couple of years time) So because we will be living in the van alot we think that the 2nd flip down external table will be pretty valuable. However if you think that most of your living and food prep will be inside then perhaps the 2nd table would be an overkill.

Just a thought - why not get one table but ask for it to be as close to the fridge vents as possible- saying that you would like the option to put on another 80cm table if possible aftermarket if you feel you need it after a few trips (although you may end up with 2 different types/looks of tables)

I guess coming from an old camper trailer it seems luxury to have one fold down, let alone 2. We will be going to the Sydney Supershow next week and i will put it on my list of things to look at. Great idea about just making sure there is room for it later if you want it.
Also, I spoke to the dealer today and we will be adding a second gas bayonet.

My only other thought at this stage is whether to add a boot door to the rear storage area. I think that Bigman added one later. I'm wondering if it will make the space more useful. Also, can anyone tell me if the space is accessible while the bed is pack up?

Thanks

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
I guess coming from an old camper trailer it seems luxury to have one fold down, let alone 2. We will be going to the Sydney Supershow next week and i will put it on my list of things to look at. Great idea about just making sure there is room for it later if you want it.
Also, I spoke to the dealer today and we will be adding a second gas bayonet.

My only other thought at this stage is whether to add a boot door to the rear storage area. I think that Bigman added one later. I'm wondering if it will make the space more useful. Also, can anyone tell me if the space is accessible while the bed is pack up?

Thanks
We asked about this and were told access door to rear boot could not be done- they did not have hatches big enough? etc - beinteresting to see what response you get

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Congrats on the new van relgate:thumb:.

Looks like the 17 series crew have great feedback on options for you, got to love this forum:happy:

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Yes, I agree,it's gold. So addictive.
As for tables, we just set portables up.
Excuse the mess on the tables. We normally set three up. But if it is a 2 night stay, it's maybe 2 tables.
Cheers Deano
b607ccd5.jpg

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Ok guys, another question.
We're heading off to the Sydney Show this week to look at fabric combinations. Looks like we will choose between either the cadel saphire combo or the gridlock ink/cityside ink combos. I've seen a few pics on this forum of both those combos which has been a great help. Does anyone with a 2012 model want to give feedback on the fabrics? Love em, hate em, should have got the 'other one' etc.

Other decisions on the cards are:
Do we get the boot access for the rear storage area?
Do we get extra tv points? Perhaps above the sink, perhaps outside
Where to place the control panel (as already discussed) Iether next to/below the sink, or I wonder if it can be on the wardrobe wall so you can see it without getting into the van

I rang the dealer yesterday and told him I was so excited that I would ring him every day until handover. He didnt seem to worried! I guess he's used to impatient, excited customers :drama:

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Sydney Supershow visit

Hi all
Just thought I would post a quick one about the supershow

We went on monday in the rain. 2hrs to get there from our place due to road works. Would normally take 45 mins.
2 kids in the car (luckily one was at preschool) so we were all pretty cranky when we got there.

First stop was "Barnes Caravans Spares" to see the rep from Tebbs Annexes. They will be adding our annex down in Victoria so we wanted to look at one that was set up, choose options and colours etc. I'm not sure if I was just excited, but the Tebbs looked pretty good to me! We will opt for an extra door and window to give it a more 'outdoor' feel as most of our camping is summer.

Dropped by a booth near the Avan display that had a Sparrow rooftop AC on display. This is the model we are getting so I had a chat to the rep about it vs the dometic rooftop. He raved about the sparrow, commenting on the true reverse cycle and therefore better heating, and also that it is very lightwieght and great for pop tops. He did, however, suggest that a 17 foot expanda pop top might be at the limit of it's capability. It was a nice looking unit

After lunch and a look at the big motorhomes we stopped in to check out the Windsor Rapid. I originally planned to go to the show to look at all compeditors before making my final purchase. Since I've already ordered the expanda I thought I would still have a look and compare.
Price wise it looked similar. REally hard to compare at the show without a thorough look through the options, but they were selling what looked like a 17 foot OB for about $47K. Again, not sure if it even had AC etc etc. It's not a bad van, but we both felt it seemed cramped inside. It seems to have a lot of tall imposing cupboards, and floor space is very limited. We didnt spend too long in it coz Jayco was calling...

Finally made our way to Jayco (after getting icecream) to have a look at the Expandas. Since we are buying interstate we needed to look at fabric colours and laminates, and i was keen to try to work out placement of control panel, power points and TV point.

FABRIC
On paper wife liked the Blue/Blue optoin and I liked the Blue/blue pattern (gridlock ink) option. Suprisingly the brown looks pretty good too, and we were having a good think about it. In the end, looks like we will go with the blue/blue pattern option. I guess it's all good!

LAMINATE
Greige. We will also get this on the tables

CONTROL PANEL
Still not sure. the standard placement makes a lot of sense. you can see it without stepping into the van. However, if you are in the van you need to get on your stomach and play dead to read it. next to sink looks OK but you still nee to bend down to read it and i'm not sure you can see it OK from outside

TV POINT
A question for you all. I am getting a wind up antenna. I was told that only one point was standard. The van on display had one near the door as well as one under the microwave. I have seen this set up before. The salesman told me that you get a second point with the wind up antenna hence 2 in total. Any comments? I havent asked my dealer direclty yet. Do you think my van will come with 2?

I ticked all the boxes on my list and we made our way back to the car in the rain. Wish I could have stayed a lot longer and had a good look around. Maybe next year.

PS. No spell checker was harmed in the making of this post
:thumb:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi relgate,

Thanks for the low down, it would of been good to go to the show but to busy atm. Funny how you decided on the fabric your missus liked :D anyhow sound like you had a good day!

Cheers.

randl007

Oct 27, 2011
Queensland
Hi Relgate
We have the 17.56.2 and went for the Gridlock/Blue I think not 100% sure but its blue and my wife is happy with it. The control panel is in the standard place and although we have only been away once the water pump has been turned on accidentally twice, so this may be an issue. we have two TV points and only went one picnic table and carry two collapsible tables. Not sure what your towing capacity is but we have hit our Max with 2540kg. There's so much more I wanted to add as well