17' Series Rearview Camera

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Thanks @PhilD, I'm looking into the cameras now....a lot of information out there. I have figured I don't want wireless. Although I was just reviewing the WiFi option.

The Subaru has a built-in one which works really well - plus I can see the tow ball - which will be great!. Has the lines and can see well at night. The camera ise only small - which when seeing the safety Dave and some of the eBay versions they have a very large housing and IR's. IR's are probably needed due to no reverse light at the back of Jayco van?

Also, with the monitors, one thing I'm concerned about it is the brightness of the monitor at night time. From what I can see the after market monitors don't seem to dim when lights are turned on.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
I ended up buying a camera and fitted it the day before we left for our 6 week trip but couldn't get the camera to work couldn't find any wiring info on the camera. The plan was/is just have a switch on the dash that switches from back of the car to back of caravan. It will work ready for next trip. I never tried the gopro, if I had to wire in power I might as well go proper wired setup.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Rear...ckup-Camera-/121162359062?hash=item1c35d6e116
This is the system I used as it has two camera inputs and the option of wiring to the transmission to auto activate the camera at the back of your car or press a button and switch between the two.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I hard wired the van camera to the power feed on one of the upper rear clearance lights. I always drive with the lights on in daylight so no switch required.

Reactions: dagree

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Does everyone just bit the bullet on drilling holes into the dash. The mounting bracket looks a bit clunky. Or is 3M ok? I just don't want to make a mess.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Does everyone just bit the bullet on drilling holes into the dash. The mounting bracket looks a bit clunky. Or is 3M ok? I just don't want to make a mess.
I just used a generic stick on flat pad then the suction mounting of the monitor sits on that. Only time on recent trip that had a problem was one camp site we visited twice that has 11 km of dirt so wife had to hold on to monitor on her lap. Couldn't see behind for dust cloud anyway.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
@PhilD not to sure what the "generic stick on flat pad" is......do you have a pic.....or can you explain more? do you mean it sits on a loose board?

looking at the dash of the car a second ago...maybe velcro may work (not planning to use the stand) - it'll keep it low so as not to block the windscreen. Only need monitor when the van is hooked up. Thinking out loud

Reactions: bigcol

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
@PhilD not to sure what the "generic stick on flat pad" is......do you have a pic.....or can you explain more? do you mean it sits on a loose board?

looking at the dash of the car a second ago...maybe velcro may work (not planning to use the stand) - it'll keep it low so as not to block the windscreen. Only need monitor when the van is hooked up. Thinking out loud
It's a flat piece of plastic about 60mm in diameter with strong double sided tape on it. Don't remember where I got it. The suction cup bottom of the monitor stand then fits on that. There's a flatish area in front of the LCD display on the Ranger and it's stuck on I front of that. Can take a picture of the monitor mounted on it tomorrow. At times when I don't need the camera monitor I use the same point for either a Garmin or my phone. The phone is a Galaxy Note 4 and has all my topo maps on it for running on Oziexplorer and normally that is on the windscreen on my right and out of reach of the Navigator. Velcro has its uses but it may just be a little too flexible and vibrate a lot if only mounted at one point.

Jaybird

May 31, 2012
Gippsland Lakes
I have used suction Ram Mounts to fix my monitor or GPS to the screen, an excellent product.
On the topic of screen/dash mount, I have a GPS and a monitor on the dash of my Territory and can see clearly over the top of both. I have driven vehicles with in dash as well as on dash and would consider the in dash more of a hazzard as you have to look down and focus especially if you wear glasses, with on dash in my cash I tend to look at them and through them so dont look away from the road.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
Well just got the camera and monitor
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/120973394254?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
upload_2015-9-2_20-7-19.png

What I like about it is that the screen brightness auto adjusts and is expandable to another two inputs - plus its cheap :). 20m cable is a bonus...looking to mod it initially as a single camera connection at towbar. Wait and see if I want more cameras in the future.

small down side is the colour of camera - only black housing

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Got around to taking shots of the car mount for mine and a view from the driver prospective. The front of the bonnet is visible over the top of the screen so no interruption of view of road ahead.
Dash 3.jpg

Still not sure where I got that plastic puck from.

Dash 2.jpg
It doesn't bother me that the car display is obscured as about the only thing on it that I need while driving is the clock and I can see enough of that. Plus if it's daytime were going OK, if it's dark we should have already stopped somewhere.

Woops, forgot the info on the camera itself. From Safety Dave and it's mounted above the rear hatch so when looking back only a truck behind us would obscure its view and can therefore see way over the top of many vehicles that are following. The microphone in it is a distraction sometimes for noises it picks up.
http://safetydave.com.au/reversing-camera-kits/sd-dual-camera/

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and dagree