17' Series Rearview Camera

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Wonder what the difference of this would be compared to say our rear view mirror!?!?

BJ

Your van is blocking the rear view mirror and the factory fitted cameras are only for the Tug, not the Van.....
See the grey areas starting.........???
I personally don't have a problem with them.

As far as know,
QLD is illegal, nothing is to block the vision through the windscreen, and after market monitors are a distraction....
NSW its a 'drivers aid' and legal, ( providing its below the windscreen and not within the area of the windscreen).
Don't know about SA, Vic, Tas.

Not even sure on the correct legality in WA.

In my humble honest opinion, they are an 'aid' to driving, not a replacement for mirrors and such.
And they should be allowed.

I am sure there is a couple of serving, or ex coppers on this site, who may be able to clarify as per their State Laws....

Reactions: achjimmy and dagree

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
I use the Car Rear View Kit 7" LCD Mirror Monitor + Reverse 7 LED IR Reverse Car Rear View 180 Deg CCD colour number plate Camera Waterproof brought of EBay,hard wired through my 12 pin plug on my expanda.

I have researched using wireless and found they drop out or suffer from interferences from other equipment or suffer from dead battery.

I also checked out the differences between CMOS vs CCD and this like every thin else can be found on YouTube.

I did have a different camera that was supposed to been water proof but suffered from moisture on the lens this was replaced with the camera I am now using.

As for using mirrors when I was recently pulled up for a breathalyser test with van in tow in NSW the officer commented on the rear view camera system as an excellent system and didn’t query on the standard mirrors on my 80’s cruiser, as I only found those attached mirrors bounce and you don’t see anything any way and I don’t have $$$$ for those fancy mirrors when my camera setup was less than $100 bucks and fitted myself.

Reactions: Roadkill and Tone

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
On the mirrors yes you must see the rear corner of the van. The rear view cameras are awesome and help see things behind that mirrors don't (the idiot in the excel that sits blind behind you) but they don't replace mirrors for legality or that rear corner.

The safety Dave kits are great value and just as good as the Polaris ones and any off the others in the market place. They all get there cameras and monitors from china, AS long as you go for CCD and not CMOS and take note of the lux rating etc. Actually safety Dave wouldn't sell the wozza cables until he came up with a quality one which he now has and it's awesome, uses European plugs and glands very good. I wouldnt have a problem using a Polaris one or brashes one. Just get a quality one that suits you and your budget.

Note that even though a lot of them use the same 4 or 5 pin cable and plugs they are configured differently.

Reactions: bigcol and Matty4

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Your van is blocking the rear view mirror and the factory fitted cameras are only for the Tug, not the Van.....
See the grey areas starting.........???
I personally don't have a problem with them.

As far as know,
QLD is illegal, nothing is to block the vision through the windscreen, and after market monitors are a distraction....
NSW its a 'drivers aid' and legal, ( providing its below the windscreen and not within the area of the windscreen).
Don't know about SA, Vic, Tas.

Not even sure on the correct legality in WA.

In my humble honest opinion, they are an 'aid' to driving, not a replacement for mirrors and such.
And they should be allowed.

I am sure there is a couple of serving, or ex coppers on this site, who may be able to clarify as per their State Laws....

I never realised there illegal in QLD, I thought in NSW it was okay on the screen but overall you couldn't obscure more than 10% but must admit I never looked it up. Just remember someone saying they were pulled over for a Radom roadside check and a car was getting a blues for having there iPad mounted to the windscreen as the GPS.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I never realised there illegal in QLD, I thought in NSW it was okay on the screen but overall you couldn't obscure more than 10% but must admit I never looked it up. Just remember someone saying they were pulled over for a Radom roadside check and a car was getting a blues for having there iPad mounted to the windscreen as the GPS.

I am only going by what I have read on several 4wd forums
guys getting stickered for GPS's on the dash & camera monitors on the dash, as well as the pillar pods............. and Ipod docks, and Ipad's

as I said before, any and ALL serving or non serving Police officers on the site - please elaborate the various state laws

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I use the Car Rear View Kit 7" LCD Mirror Monitor + Reverse 7 LED IR Reverse Car Rear View 180 Deg CCD colour number plate Camera Waterproof brought of EBay,hard wired through my 12 pin plug on my expanda.

I have researched using wireless and found they drop out or suffer from interferences from other equipment or suffer from dead battery.

I also checked out the differences between CMOS vs CCD and this like every thin else can be found on YouTube.

I did have a different camera that was supposed to been water proof but suffered from moisture on the lens this was replaced with the camera I am now using.

As for using mirrors when I was recently pulled up for a breathalyser test with van in tow in NSW the officer commented on the rear view camera system as an excellent system and didn’t query on the standard mirrors on my 80’s cruiser, as I only found those attached mirrors bounce and you don’t see anything any way and I don’t have $$$$ for those fancy mirrors when my camera setup was less than $100 bucks and fitted myself.

I think you will find your 80 series is probably wide enough for the standard mirrors to be ok...............
if you were using a Terracan or whatever, you would find yourself in hot water

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
On the mirrors yes you must see the rear corner of the van. The rear view cameras are awesome and help see things behind that mirrors don't (the idiot in the excel that sits blind behind you) but they don't replace mirrors for legality or that rear corner.

The safety Dave kits are great value and just as good as the Polaris ones and any off the others in the market place. They all get there cameras and monitors from china, AS long as you go for CCD and not CMOS and take note of the lux rating etc. Actually safety Dave wouldn't sell the wozza cables until he came up with a quality one which he now has and it's awesome, uses European plugs and glands very good. I wouldnt have a problem using a Polaris one or brashes one. Just get a quality one that suits you and your budget.

Note that even though a lot of them use the same 4 or 5 pin cable and plugs they are configured differently.

yeah, and the Polaris ones wazza cable is a pain.................
cause thats what I have..........................

when I wired it all up - worked beautiful
next time I hook up to go away - Van camera - no picture................
get home, fiddle about a bit and find

I had the wazza cable wrong way around (seems they are only 1 way) marked Van end - all good now............

Reactions: dagree

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I am only going by what I have read on several 4wd forums
guys getting stickered for GPS's on the dash & camera monitors on the dash, as well as the pillar pods............. and Ipod docks, and Ipad's

as I said before, any and ALL serving or non serving Police officers on the site - please elaborate the various state laws

Geez I'm in trouble then, I have a rear view camera, ipad on the windscreen and a pillar pod.

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I think with stuff mounted on dash actually depends where and what as I have seen people with phones or big screen gps that really obstruct the view and pillar mounted stuff that really increases the blind spot.
I have driven semi's with cameras mounted all round and while they were great on the back and other blind spots I didn't like reversing with them' don't know why though.
I find my rear camera a 90deg job is great, think a 60 deg would be better but at least I can see someone coming up behind or the idiot tucked in behind me.
As for not having tow mirrors, if you can't see the side of your rig or where the wheels are then your are a road hazard no matter what the regs say.

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
I fitted a rearview camera & no longer have a need for the strap on mirrors. The Prado mirrors are pretty good. I do however bring the mirrors with me in case the camera fails for some reason.
Hi @Ss--ss . How do you view the feed from your van camera in your Prado? Dash mounted monitor or rear view mirror maybe?

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Hi not sure how your set up is but mine is hard wired through the van and tow rigs 12 pin plug direct to the GPS rear view camera mirror combo that sits on my existing mirror.
As i didn't like those wireless camera systems as they do suffer from interference.

Reactions: Curryhouse

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Hi @Ss--ss . How do you view the feed from your van camera in your Prado? Dash mounted monitor or rear view mirror maybe?
Hi Curry house, I have a seperate 7" screen which i place infront of the gear selector.. Photo is a bit crappy but gives you an idea.
image.jpg

Reactions: Curryhouse

Curryhouse

Apr 8, 2012
Newcastle
Hi not sure how your set up is but mine is hard wired through the van and tow rigs 12 pin plug direct to the GPS rear view camera mirror combo that sits on my existing mirror.
As i didn't like those wireless camera systems as they do suffer from interference.

Hi @Mick , only have a 7-pin setup at present. I have a cable from the van to a cable in the car that plugs into the monitor. Haven't used a wireless system myself and consensus on good or no-good seems divided in various threads/forums I have read. Interested in the GPS mirror. Can you provide any more details on make, supplier etc.

Cheers.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have a 5" screen that sits just above the r/h drivers vent, perfect position to just glance at.

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
I have always used my tow mirrors on my Hawk and will do with the expanda when it arrives, continplating getting a camera aswell, a wifi one utilizing my iPhone or a spare gopro that transmits to iPhone saves all the wiring using 2 different tugs.
@Tone What did you end up doing?

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
@Tone What did you end up doing?
I ended up buying a camera and fitted it the day before we left for our 6 week trip but couldn't get the camera to work couldn't find any wiring info on the camera. The plan was/is just have a switch on the dash that switches from back of the car to back of caravan. It will work ready for next trip. I never tried the gopro, if I had to wire in power I might as well go proper wired setup.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I have 2 different setups. There's a rear camera on the car feeding a picture to the rear vision mirror that is just for reversing the car only. This is a kit from Mazda for one of the BT50 models (the GT I think) that is a compatible replacement to fit directly in to a PX Ranger. For the van I bought a Safety Dave kit that feeds to a 7" screen on the dash. It has provision for 4 cameras and can display combinations up to all 4 inputs. On the back of the van is a double camera in a single housing, wide angle pointing straight down and a narrower angle one pointing back along the road that we mainly use while touring. Together with the legally required extension mirrors (Clearview in my case) we've had no trouble at all in seeing what is coming from behind and overtaking us.