17' Series Rearview Camera

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Was asked the question yesterday, do you need towing mirrors fitted if you use a rear camera behind your van? I would have said you do but when police test you on the side of the road you only have to be able to see them at a certain distance behind the van? Any ideas?

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
I would say better safe then sorry! I have Clearview mirrors and I also have a constant rearview camera that I run at the same time! I have seen some cars that choose not to use mirrors, but how can they see down the side f them when they want to change lanes? Granted the camera shows behind you, but some vehicles move to fast, and before you know it all the "What if's" that we dread could be taking place! For peace of mind, (and yes maybe a few extra dollars) it's worth having both mirrors and a constant camera! Unsure of what the road rules state.

Reactions: bigcol

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
AFAIK, towing mirrors are compulsory if the cars mirrors don't give a full unimpeded view down the entire length of the van.
The easiest way to check this is to have someone stand at the rear corner of the van, if you can see that person clearly then you won't need extension mirrors, if you can't, you will.

No matter what type of rearview camera is fitted, you won't be able to see that person in that camera, nor see down the length of the van with a camera, so mirrors are required.

The above test is used by the Police if they pull you over for not having mirrors, so I have been told.

acmackie

Apr 19, 2012
Glenmore Park
I think the law says something along the lines of "you must have an unobstructed view". It does not say you must have mirrors. I would guess you might have some luck in court if you took it that far. But the police will probably fine you, and for the sake of a hundred dollars and fitting mirrors, who wants the hassle of fronting up to traffic court (possibly in a different state if you're travelling) for an unpredictable outcome.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
AFAIK, towing mirrors are compulsory if the cars mirrors don't give a full unimpeded view down the entire length of the van.
The easiest way to check this is to have someone stand at the rear corner of the van, if you can see that person clearly then you won't need extension mirrors, if you can't, you will.

No matter what type of rearview camera is fitted, you won't be able to see that person in that camera, nor see down the length of the van with a camera, so mirrors are required.

The above test is used by the Police if they pull you over for not having mirrors, so I have been told.

*Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* what Matty4 said

But unfortunately the boys/girls in blue don't police it enough, I for one have had a few near misses by people towing vans that haven't had any form of tow mirror (or camera) on their vehicle, I know I can't see down the side of the panda without tow mirrors, and I know I'd rather see that B-Double/Road Train coming well before he appears over my shoulder or in the car mirror.
The rule actually applies to any over width trailer that blocks your vision, e.g. large boats, horse trailers etc. etc.

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
I fitted a rearview camera & no longer have a need for the strap on mirrors. The Prado mirrors are pretty good. I do however bring the mirrors with me in case the camera fails for some reason.

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
I have always used my tow mirrors on my Hawk and will do with the expanda when it arrives, continplating getting a camera aswell, a wifi one utilizing my iPhone or a spare gopro that transmits to iPhone saves all the wiring using 2 different tugs.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have an 80 deg camera on the back better than the 120deg reverse cam, I can now see whats behind but won't do away with the mirrors as there is still a blind spot for little cars to hide in, plus don't need to get booked.
I would liked to have gone for a WiFi rig but a bit exxy for a decent set up.

Reactions: Marv_mart

Ss--ss

Jun 16, 2014
Hills district, Sydney
Actually I was curious & looked it up & there's no law saying you need tow mirrors, there is however a law saying if your NOT towing you should not have the tow mirrors attached.. well that's in NSW anyway .. Whatever mirrors you have there's going to be a blind spot. I have the ratchet truck type mirrors which are pretty good but not perfect , camera is much better.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/roads/safety-rules/standards/vsi-18-rev2.pdf

Reactions: Tone

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
I think the ADR law (14-01) actually states you have to be able to see from the side mirror a line of sight parallel to your line of travel down the side of the vehicle.

I think this pretty much means in most instances side mirrors are required. At least on the driver's side.

Here's the wording as I understand it.......and my interpretation in brackets.

...... On the drivers side....a flat external mirror shall be installed
(a mirror at least on the driver's side is not optional).
.....with a view of a level road surface
(so on a flat road)
.....extending to the horizon
(extending to the horizon)
.....from a line perpendicular to a plane tangential to the driver's side of the vehicle at the widest point
(with the mirror at right angles of the driver and at the widest point)
..... and parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle,
(looking down a line parallel to the direction of travel)
.....extending 2.4 metres out from the tangential plane 11 metres behind the driver's eyes, with the `Seat' in the rearmost position. The line of sight may be partially obscured by rear body or wheel guard contours.
(the mirror needs to see a view 2.4 metres wide at the point 11 metres behind the driver).

Greeeny

Oct 5, 2013
Cheltenham, Vic
Have a look at the web site "Safety Dave" they have everything you need from budget to elaborate. I've got a setup from them and couldn't be happier. I bought it from the Caravan show at Sandown in October.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Have a look at the web site "Safety Dave" they have everything you need from budget to elaborate. I've got a setup from them and couldn't be happier. I bought it from the Caravan show at Sandown in October.

I believe our new van will be fitted with a ''Safety Dave" set up, dealer supplied

Polaris is another popular set up but get a bit expensive.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Polaris is another popular set up but get a bit expensive.

yes, they are a very good system (Polaris) and yes, they can be on the expensive side,
but once fitted and working....... they are the Ducks Nuts..................
can upgrade to as many extra cameras you want.......

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Was asked the question yesterday, do you need towing mirrors fitted if you use a rear camera behind your van? I would have said you do but when police test you on the side of the road you only have to be able to see them at a certain distance behind the van? Any ideas?

to answer your question, YES
1) mirrors see the sides, (and the tyres, etc)
2) camera see's the rear....., but not whats next to you

using both is a good idea, however, depending on which State, Mr Plod has decreed that they (cameras and monitors) are a "distraction" not a "Driver Aid" and therefore a NO NO

I do recall a thread last year on this subject, however I cannot find it.

Reactions: Ben Stanford

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
to answer your question, YES
1) mirrors see the sides, (and the tyres, etc)
2) camera see's the rear....., but not whats next to you

using both is a good idea, however, depending on which State, Mr Plod has decreed that they (cameras and monitors) are a "distraction" not a "Driver Aid" and therefore a NO NO

I do recall a thread last year on this subject, however I cannot find it.
Wonder what the difference of this would be compared to say our rear view mirror!?!?

BJ

Reactions: Tone

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
From my limited understanding of the ins and outs

Factory fitted GPS & cameras are ok

Non standard.... (not factory fitted) are not, as you would take your eyes from the road, and the monitors apparently 'interferes' with your forward vision.

Don't know how or why.......
But its the same as' pillar pods' in QLD, they are illegal- they 'block' your forward vision
Apparently .

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
My rear vision camera monitor just replaces the rear vision mirror so I can't see how looking up at that occasionally would be any different to glancing at your rear vision mirror. Sometimes the law is an ass. :noidea:

Reactions: Tone and dagree